Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Info needed ASAP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Info needed ASAP !!!

I am having a problem with my rear ADDCO bar rubbing on the TRD tailpipe flange. I am speaking with ADDCO and they are questioning as to whether or not the design of the exhaust system has changed since 2000. I know the '01-'02 models use dual cat systems but I do not believe that the position of the muffler or the design of the tailpipe has changed since 2000. Does anyone know the answer? I am going to speak with my dealer and see if a PN change waas made for the tail pipe.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:01 AM

Is it true?

I guess I have gotten confirmation from Toyota, but am I 100% confident that this information is correct? I don't know.

According to Toyota, the tail pipe section has not changed since 11/95 and the PN is the same.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:22 AM

I'm getting really good at talking to myself.

I just got of the phone with ADDCO again. They are going to look at an '01 - '02 4Runner today, take measurements and then send me the correct bar, no charge. They told me to keep the old bar, but I told them if they included a return shipping label I would pack it up and get it back to them.

They are glad to have this new information on the '01 - '02 4Runners.

I also was able to find out where the guy I used to deal with at ADDCO is now. ADDCO used to have an office in Florida a number of years ago, but now ADDCO is based in N.C. John Carlson has his own shop now in FL and he makes specialty bars for special applications. This is really great news for anyone who wants to have a special size or design bar made. I may look into having another monster bar made for my Chevy wagon.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manymods - well I haven't seen this post til this morning. I seem to be having a similiar problem with my Addco rear sway bar as well. When you say "rubbing" do you mean a big clunk from the rear suspension everytime you go over a large bump at more than a crawl. This is what mine sounds like, but it's been so cold and miserable that I haven't had a chance to check out exactly what was going on back there. I seem to remember that Addco made a revision to their rear sway bar because it was hitting the the exhaust flange, but I bought mine from PP about 2 months ago so I figured it would be fine. However, after the install I had the clunk. I have a 96' 4Runner and bought and installed my TRD Cat Back exhaust over three years ago....... SO how does this fit in the equation??
Old 02-19-2003, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

First of all I can tell you that effective September 2000 Addco released a revised 4Runner rear sway bar. It was angled upward to avoiding hitting the 4R's exhaust flange. Did you buy your bars used or somewhere that may have had old stock?

TailPipe Part #'s....Here they are.

2.7L 1996-1999 All, 2000 Federal 1740575200
2.7L 2000 CA 1743075530
3.4L 1996-1998 All, 1999-2000 Federal 1740562030
3.4L CA 1999-2000 1740562030
3.4L 2001-2002 ALL 1740562030'

Hope that helps
Old 02-19-2003, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Well now I see you are running a "TRD" Exhaust. I dont have the P/N's for those, but I do remember there were different manufacturers for the TRD Exhaust over the years. Borla and B&B Tri-Flo to name a few. Some were rear exit and some were side exit tips. Addco just happens to have a TRD Exhaust equipped 01-02 4R available for measurement?
Old 02-19-2003, 07:41 AM

bbeast -
What you are describing is exactly the problem. You feel my pain. :pat:

JA -
I spoke with Farrell and he got in touch with John Calhoun, the designer, who knew exactly what the problem was. John is measuring an '02, which according to what you are saying is a vehicle they have possession of, and then he is sending me the correct bar. I ordered my bar through NAPA and their Balkamp performance program. So, I _assume_ that Balkamp placed the order with ADDCO and ADDCO drop-shipped the bar directly to my NAPA store. Apparently there is some old stock lying around and someone at ADDCO is picking it when they get orders. My TRD exhaust has the side exiting tailpipe and the flange connections just like the OE system. I would put the truck up on blocks so I could take pictures for everyone, but with about two feet of snow here I am not going to attempt that. The bar is rubbing on the tailpipe flange and shows about a 5" long rub area of contact where the red paint is scraped off. I am sure that at some point in travel it catches and pushes the muffler up into contact with the underside of the body making a loud thudd.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:46 AM

One more thing ...

JA -
You are a real fountain of information. Thank you.

Do you have all the part fiche records? Is there a CD we can get with all that information on it?

I used your picture to explain to Farrell exaxtly how the design changed between the original and new 2000+ design.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

I have hard copy of about 38 pages of part #'s for the 3rd gen 4R. It shows part drawings and has retail prices and labor estimates as well. Maybe I should throw in a set as a bonus to those who participate in the 4Runner Diecast Group Buy . Perhaps buy 2 diecasts get a part sheet set FREE

Also unless Addco started powdercoating their bars again ALL the Red ones for the 4R are old stock with the old bend that rubbed. That notation has been on my site for the past two years.

Last edited by jalaber; 02-19-2003 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:47 AM

Hey JA ....

Okay tough guy

So you wanna play hardball do ya?

Put me down for TWO of those mini-me 4R's in SILVER. I'll do anything to get those 38 pages you are coveting.

If you would email me off-list I will paypal you or what ever.

mailto:pcfyler@adelphia.net

I TOLD_ the guy at ADDCO when I first researched the bars that I wanted them in RED and that I did not want the old stock. I was assured that I would get the latest design. :rolleyes:

JA, when you write, I really try to ...

I'm having an emoticon day here ... ... I wish.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by jalaber
........Also unless Addco started powdercoating their bars again ALL the Red ones for the 4R are old stock with the old bend that rubbed. That notation has been on my site for the past two years.
J.A. - I remember reading this on your site (I used your write-up for the installation and am forever gratefull). Which is why I smiled when I saw that my Addco rear bar had a nice gold-like finish to it - no powdercoating. However, I still have the CLUNK. I have to investigate further once the weather warms up a bit and the snow melts, but do you have any ideas in the meantime? I do have the TRD Cat Back exhaust (originally made by Borla I believe, feel free to correct me if I am wrong), which has the straight-thru, rear exit pipe. This was purchased thru the stealer just over 3 years ago. Could this be the reason I still have the CLUNK even though I may have the newly revised sway bar?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

I could be from the Borla. I think Gadget had the rubbing with his Borla. You could always try to grind down the flange. Or do as ManyMods did and call Addco requesting a replacement, they do have a lifetime warranty.

To clarify...All Addco 4Runner bars pre September 2000 were of the old bend type. Some were indeed Gold Zinc Plated. There was a batch that was made with Red Powdercoating pre 09-2000. They were all of the old bend style. Subsequently around 2002 I heard Addco started making some bars with the Red Powdrecoat again. So if you have a red bar it no longer necessarily means it is old style (unless it was pre 2001).
Old 02-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Hey JA ....

Originally posted by ManyMods

Put me down for TWO of those mini-me 4R's in SILVER. I'll do anything to get those 38 pages you are coveting.
Another 2 accounted for. We are only at the 1/3 mark for completing the group buy though. Keep the orders coming.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:23 AM

You mean I have to buy more of them in order to get my freebie. :pat:
Old 02-19-2003, 11:09 AM

If you have the Borla made TRD exhaust the real problem is with the exhaust system. The center pipe is to long and puts the tail pipe flange in the wrong location causing it to contact the sway bar under compression of the suspension.

Addco did have an issue with the rear swaybar, but even with the proper redesigned bar, it will still contact the flange do to the problem with the Borla made TRD exhaust.

The proper fix is to go to an exhaust shop and have them shorten the center pipe just in front of the muffler by an inch to and inch and a half. That will provide the necessary clearance to keep the swaybar from contacting the swaybar.

If you put the truck up on the type of lift that supports the trucks by the wheels instead of the frame and have someone pull down of the rear bumper you will see the swaybar go through its stroke and bang into the swaybar. You can also see how shortening the center pipe will provide the needed clearance to keep this from happening.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 02-19-2003, 11:18 AM

Hey Peter-

If you don't send back the old bar will you sell it to me? I've been looking at buy a set for my 98.

Thanks,
Milan
Old 02-19-2003, 12:46 PM

Thx, Gadget, for the reply. I imagine that's what my problem is then. Oh well, put it on the list.......
Old 02-19-2003, 01:53 PM

Milan -
I didn't think that someone else could use it, so-o-o ...

... since I realize that I can't use it on my other 4R's, a-n-d ...

... if they don't want it back ...

... you can have it for the cost of shipping IF ...

... you buy a mini Yota from J.A's group purchase (I don't even know how much those little rascals are)
Old 02-19-2003, 01:56 PM

Gadget,
How does one know they have a BORLA mfg'd system?
Old 02-19-2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by ManyMods
Milan -
I didn't think that someone else could use it, so-o-o ...

... since I realize that I can't use it on my other 4R's, a-n-d ...

... if they don't want it back ...

... you can have it for the cost of shipping IF ...

... you buy a mini Yota from J.A's group purchase (I don't even know how much those little rascals are)
Awesome, I really appreciate that, plus I get the mini Yota to boot. Now I just need to find the group buy.

Thanks a bunch, I'll email you.

Quick Reply: Info needed ASAP !!!