Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

The infamous Tundra TRD coil lift on Tacomas

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 05:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need either 2WD RED TRD Tundra struts (from the 2WD Ivan Stewart TRD Package) or you need OME 891s Struts. Anything else will be stiff and will resist quick travel, sacrificing ride. Gapguy is running HD Billies and has a stiff ride even though steve and I have very VERY soft rides w/ the RED TRD's or the OME 891s'
Old 01-13-2005, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bamachem
You need either 2WD RED TRD Tundra struts (from the 2WD Ivan Stewart TRD Package) or you need OME 891s Struts. Anything else will be stiff and will resist quick travel, sacrificing ride. Gapguy is running HD Billies and has a stiff ride even though steve and I have very VERY soft rides w/ the RED TRD's or the OME 891s'
just listen to the man. he knows his stuff. thanks for the extra set of t-o spacers
Old 01-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
Gapguy is running HD Billies and has a stiff ride even though steve and I have very VERY soft rides w/ the RED TRD's or the OME 891s'
My ride is....shall I say controlled? It's not overly stiff, and it's still incredibly softer than the 882's overall. I to will be changing to OME's soon.

Old 01-14-2005, 04:28 AM
Banned

thank for chiming in neil. the struts/shocks are VERY important in this combo for it to work properly.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:19 AM

I would like to do this eventually. BUT, I am in need of a list of items needed and the total costs and where to purchase it all. I have a taco so what would I do for the rear?
thanks in advance
snowman
Old 01-17-2005, 07:28 AM

Suggestions and or prices.... anyone
thanks
snowman
Old 01-17-2005, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/new-suspension-setup-trd-front-lift-3rd-gen-4runner-41848/

Last edited by User 051420; 01-17-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the link.
snowman
Old 01-18-2005, 07:23 PM

I am about to order the springs and red billies like schafer's page recommends. now my other question is what did you guys do for the rear??

also is there anything else i need to change over the front suspension? like top mounts or anything like that??

thanks
Old 01-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ssrmr2turbo
I am about to order the springs and red billies like schafer's page recommends. now my other question is what did you guys do for the rear??

also is there anything else i need to change over the front suspension? like top mounts or anything like that??

thanks
Not to be rude..but Did you READ that thread? It explained everything about the front setup.

You'll need the spacers and studs from Andy (Bamachem), PM him.

For the rear, assuming you have a taco, you have several options...none of which I'm totally familliar with. However, I would suggest getting new leaf packs for the back from Deaver or Alcan..they seem to be the most popular. Do a search on that.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:02 PM

gapguy,

i just emailed sschaffer about the spacers it looks like he is selling the same part andy is. either or.

thanks
Old 01-19-2005, 04:05 AM
Banned

lol... SS# was kind enough to set up my spacers in his store. when you buy from him, the order comes to me directly. he believes in them that much...
Old 01-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

I've read both threads twice now---good to know there is an option for those of us wanting to lift our runners and not have to swap out our ADD systems like Downey recommends (I like activating 4WD while driving up paved roads in the rain, when I get no traction, for instance, without getting out to lock in hubs). This is what I'm gathering--

1) Buy the springs and shocks from a Toyota supplier
2) Buy spacers and bolts from Andy/Bamachem---does Andy have a shop? Or do we go through SS#??? I'm still not sure what the spacer does---the one on the top of the coil--maybe I missed something.
3) Buy Downey rear springs and get the shocks from whomever.
4) Insert a differential drop down spacer to avoid stress on cv joints. Where do we purchase that?
5) Add a 1" body lift, especially when putting on larger tires.

Does this all sound right? I was actually not going to do a lift when I learned that the lift kit from Downey is going to set me back a "G". I'd rather spend big money on a supercharger, headers, exhaust, electric fans, winch, etc.

Also, with the above Tundra spring lift, will I be able to fit the height equivalent of 33" tires on my 4runner? It's a 97 SR5 4x4 (and a few months from being paid off--yeah baby!).

Thanks everyone, especially Andy, for taking the time to post all this information that any numbnut at my local 4wd shops have no idea about, "it aint a chevy,ford,dodge, or jeep" kinda guys, ya know?

Cameron
Old 01-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yobroe
1) Buy the springs and shocks from a Toyota supplier
2) Buy spacers and bolts from Andy/Bamachem---does Andy have a shop? Or do we go through SS#??? I'm still not sure what the spacer does---the one on the top of the coil--maybe I missed something.
3) Buy Downey rear springs and get the shocks from whomever.
4) Insert a differential drop down spacer to avoid stress on cv joints. Where do we purchase that?
5) Add a 1" body lift, especially when putting on larger tires.

Also, with the above Tundra spring lift, will I be able to fit the height equivalent of 33" tires on my 4runner? It's a 97 SR5 4x4 (and a few months from being paid off--yeah baby!).

Cameron
1. Yep. 1sttoyotaparts.com has the best price so far.
2. You buy them from him, or SS3's website..either way you get the same product from the same person. The spacer gives you 1/2" of lift above and beyond what the coils do alone.
3. Yes. Downey or Old Man Emu Springs. Old Man Emu Shocks.
4. SS3 or http://www.4crawler.com
5. http://www.4crawler.com . THE BEST.

You'll be able to easily fit 285/75/16's, which is the rough equivalent of a 33x11.5" tire.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:50 PM
Banned

For the front:

Tundra Coils $160 online
OME N91s Struts $212 from Wheeler's Offroad
AE Top Spacers/Studs $37 from me

Subtotal: $409

Downey 2.5"/3.5" Coils $290 from Downey
OME N86 Shocks $150 from Wheeler's Offroad
Toyota Conical Bumpstops (free)

Subtotal: $437

------or-------

OME 890's, 891's, OR OME 906 Coil Springs $135 from Wheeler's Offroad
OME N86 Shocks $150
NO CONICAL BUMPSTOPS

Subtotal: $285

__________________________________________________ ________

Totals are either $846 for Downey's or $694 for OME's in the rear. For $150 difference, I'd personally do the OME's. If they sag in 4 or 5 years, you can buy another set and still come out ahead. You can trim a little more off that price by buying your coil springs used off of ebay or tundrasolutions. either way, you can trim another $60 or so off those prices and maybe as much as $100. I've pieced mine together over the last couple of years and ended up with this combination via trial and error with what works. If I had to build it today from scratch, I'd use OME shocks/struts all the way around w/ OME 890 rear coils and the Tundra stuff up front.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:53 AM

Ok I've been reading here and there is no talk about any other after market stuff. Trailmaster, fab tech, Rancho. I have a 98 ext v6 Tacoma. The stock suspension was soft but rode nice untill you start pushing it. If I would go fast on the hwy 80-90 the whole truck would rock from side to side. So I upgrade to the Rancho coil lift. I got the coils and shocks all the way around. It worked for a while and the little lift that I got I lost and know with roughly 40 to 50k on the suspension it is soft and doing the same thing as stock did. Is there an up grade with the Rancho shocks ? Will the coils that you guys are talking about fit in the racho shock ? OR just scrap the whole thing and put all new on ?

Last edited by ssyota; 01-22-2005 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ssyota
Is there an up grade with the Rancho shocks ?
Upgrade? If they are bad, buy new ones. If you want to try something different with the Tundra coils, go OME like Steve or TRD Billies like Andy.

Will the coils that you guys are talking about fit in the racho shock ?
I don't think anybody has tried it yet. Maybe you can be the test monkey. :monkey:

OR just scarp the whole thing and put all new on ?
Depends on how much money you are willing to spend.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bighead
Upgrade? If they are bad, buy new ones. If you want to try something different with the Tundra coils, go OME like Steve or TRD Billies like Andy.

I don't think anybody has tried it yet. Maybe you can be the test monkey. :monkey:

Depends on how much money you are willing to spend.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2005, 05:19 PM

I did the tundra coils on my '99 taco, and I love it. Of course I was cheap and got the yellow TRD billies, so my ride is a little stiff, but nothing too bad. It is a bit noisier off road b/c the tundra coils have a greater overall diameter than the taco's. They rub the upper coil bracket. For the rear, I used OME 2" lift springs, and cheap shocks from Mieneke. It now sits dead level. It's really a great setup. Next time I won't skimp on the shocks though.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kwak63603
It is a bit noisier off road b/c the tundra coils have a greater overall diameter than the taco's. They rub the upper coil bracket.
Can you supply a pic for this? I'm VERY curious to see what is rubbing and why. Did you use a top spacer?

Quick Reply: The infamous Tundra TRD coil lift on Tacomas