Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Inconsistent Steering Vibration While Braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inconsistent Steering Vibration While Braking

I've got a 96 4Runner that I bought a few months ago (previously had a 99 and an 01) that has an odd vibration in the steering wheel when braking. I'm very familiar with how the rotor warp feels, but it doesn't feel quite like that to me especially because it's inconsistent. I can't pinpoint specific conditions where it happens, but it always does it on the way home from work, but not the way there in the morning (temp related?). It doesn't vibrate as bad if I barely apply the brakes, but it I can still feel it a little bit. It typically feels like the steering column/components are fighting against the steering wheel and makes dull knocking sound along with the vibration.

Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
I would say you have warped rotors, very common on the 4runner, I recall some 96' also came with a smaller rotor/tire package. Warped rotors can be caused by improper rear drum adjustment requiring excessive front brake use, towing, or a sticky caliber piston, check all 8 caliber pistons to insure they can all be pressed in by hand upon disassembly, if you need to use a c-clamp chances are they are rusty inside and you need to replace the caliper. If you tow a lot you may consider Taco or tundra rotors and calipers, some have done this mod to get around this issue. There is also anti rattle "M" shaped wires that help the brake pads to retract/ spread apart insure they are in place.

Last edited by Malcolm99; 11-16-2016 at 04:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree probably still a rotor. And could be due to improperly adjusted rear drums. If you replace rotors and pad, very cheap, also pull your rear drums a clean everything and lube the adjuster screws.