Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I want my Toyota Tacoma to chirp off the line and burn rubber...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I dont' think the diffs were swapped. I think you have driveability issues with the motor or your clutch is slipping.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was going on about the gear ratios, I was just answering your questions; however, after looking at the pics, I concur with Vital.

Originally Posted by vital22re
I dont' think the diffs were swapped. I think you have driveability issues with the motor or your clutch is slipping.
Pics look like OE.

Spinning the tire, and counting the drive shaft rotations will give you an accurate ratio. I would doublr check this, maybe you got dirt in your eye the first time and blinked during a few rotations.

Again, with your setup, I'd prefer 4.30s, but It doesn't look like or make sense that your gears were changed...but who knose...check and double check.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:49 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
I'm tryin to be on your side, Will Holden, but unless these guys are magicians who can use Toyota Sealant and make it look just like its got 250k miles on it, YOU ARE WRONG... Like I said before, it's something with your motor... Start there, ask the guy who built it some questions... Ask HIM why the power might be low...
If you wanna regear, then regear, but don't spew some BS based on "what you know"(but you don't actually know).

As for me, I'm done... Won't post in this thread again to help or otherwise... But I will read it for its comedic value...
Old 07-12-2012, 02:52 PM

How long ago was it at the body shop? You could just look for freshly removed bolts and nuts. Usually there will be some evidence of removal if very mild corrosion or dirt has not destroyed the tiny shiny surfaces where pressure was applied to a fastener.

I have a 1996 V6 with a 5 speed as well. I went up to 33x10.5 tires on my truck with the stock 4.10 gears and it does ok for what I use it for 99% Of the time...of course I am not concerned about how good it chirps the tires and burns rubber either. Why would I be?... IT IS A SMALL 4x4 TRUCK not a drift or drag car. If I wheeled it more sure I would like some 4.56 gears but I drive too much highway to even consider it but maybe someday when it isn't my daily driver. If your truck came with 4.10 gears and 31s going with a 4.30 would get you back to stock rpms if you did make the jump to 33s down the road. But don't forget about the additional weight of a 33 especially a 33x12.5 tire. That extra weight takes a lot more grunt/torque to get going again from a stop most noticeable in stop and go traffic. 4.56 gears would give you the torque to gets things rolling again. Long story short what do you want to use the truck for?? Weekend only trail rig? Daily driver? If you want to go around racing people and turning tires over all the time then you are in the wrong vehicle to begin with, you can't have it all.

Given the fact you are desiring tire frying ability again almost spells out a spent clutch from the very first post but I have been wrong before...

You have a pretty rare truck given it is a V6 reg cab with a factory locker...just dont get too big of a head about it.

Last edited by black_taco; 07-12-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Easy to find just What you have !!!

If you don`t know Post up your VIN it will give me the specs of your truck.

Yes if one goes to all the trouble to steal differentials you would really need to steal them both to use them.

So tell me where you live i know people who just love to investigate alleged corrupt police departments.

If you feel you have a valid charge against these people.:jessica:
Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts
Hmmmm, gearing question but don't want to search or be told to search so this elaborate thread is created to get everything answered?? Or mayby not, I get more confused every time I read it.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 PM

amusing i just read every post here and hate to say this but it just seems like you got a bad clutch. I got a 98 taco with the 2.7L engine 5 speed and running 31s also and about 5 months ago my clutch worked good and my truck would do what you and chirp the tires now that i have gone wheeling a few times (still new to it) i kinda ran my clutch down fast and now the tires dont chirp and the truck feels a bit more sluggish compared to before.
Just a suggestion to see if thats your problem, ill be changing my clutch as soon as i get a few days off work and if you still dont figure it out ill let you know how my truck acts after i change the clutch
Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Put some new plugs in it.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 PM

I put a New clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing , slave cylinder, new fly wheel and new plugs! Was my first thought as well.

Still not sure what gear ratio to go with. Spun the tires 3x times cause it didn't make sense thought there at least be a 3:90 in it, the drive shaft spun 2 and 3/4 turns, marked the tire and drive shaft before testing.

Door code is B03A....which is the 4:10 gearing, gonna keep the 31x10.5 tires on it. Use it mostly highway, more city driving than anything else. People have suggested I might go with 4:30 or even a 4:56, not planning on bumping up tire size or four wheeling unless caught in heavy snow.

I will know more Monday when it comes apart......

Last edited by Will Holden; 07-12-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Discombobulated is a name that suits you well...
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Inu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Will Holden
I jacked up rear of truck, in nuetral, brake off and spun tire, both tires turned, had friend hold one tire while I spun the other one 1 complete turn, the drive shaft rotated 2 and 3/4 turns which I think there is a 2:73 gear in it now.
Here's your problem, when you check the diff you have to spin both tires at the same time or you will be off. jack it up have your friend watch the tire and spin the D shaft untill you get the full tire rotation. Both tires must spin as if locked to get an accurate count.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ohhhhh. I know what happened. When you checked your gear ratio by doing the spin count method, you spun one rear tire while the other was stationary, Right?
You spun one rear tire while counting driveline rotations. Is that what you did?

Well you can't do that, with an open rear diff you have to times the number of drivline rotations by 2, or simply spin both rear tires to get the actually gear ratio. Otherwise your spinning the spider gears in the diff and getting a false result. And I know you have an e-locker but it wasn't "e-locked" when you checked your gears.

And you counted wrong anyways. Like mentioned above the ratio you counted doesn't exist. So unless that body shop is real good at making their own gears, you probably had or still have 4.11, half would be 2.05 before the correction, or 4.30 which is 2.15, or even 4.56 which is 2.28 when doing the spin count method half donkey'd

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 07-12-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 PM

Here's your problem, when you check the diff you have to spin both tires at the same time or you will be off. jack it up have your friend watch the tire and spin the D shaft untill you get the full tire rotation. Both tires must spin as if locked to get an accurate count.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts
Discombobulated is a name that suits you well...
I think it suits this thread better
Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 AM

Well raining here today...assuming you guys are right about the spin test, and I have the same gears in it. Something is totally different about the truck. I am now wondering if that heavy duty V6/turbo Differential housing maybe transferred the power from the motor to the rear wheels? Which is why I'm on here, did not want to spend $1,200.00 and not fix whatever is going on. I am assuming it is the gear ratio that dictates how fast a gear will red line the tachometer, and you have to shift to the next gear. That is what is totally different about the truck.

Last edited by Will Holden; 07-13-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I am now wondering if that heavy duty V6 (turbo) housing maybe transferred the power from the motor to the rear wheels?
isn't that the whole reason a differential exists? to transfer power?

it takes about 45-60 minutes to pull a third..count the ring gear and divide by the pinion tooth count.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:06 AM

Yes....just trying to figure out what was done and un do it....do not know enough about that V6/turbo differential.....suspect that is what was changed out....
Old 07-13-2012, 05:11 AM

it takes about 45-60 minutes to pull a third..count the ring gear and divide by the pinion tooth count.
but its way easier to spin count.

Recheck your ratio. And if you want better acceleration, get some lower gears.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:14 AM

I do not know much about rears, trannny or gears. This has been a learning experience for me since this has happened. It will come apart Monday....just trying to figure out what to put back in it......

It comes down to what is in it, then going with a 4:10, 4:30 or 4:56.....leaning towards 4:56 and considering finding one of those V6/turbo differentials to put in with the gears as well not sure if that is what made the big difference or not.

Just ordered a GF-Performance chip. Maybe it is something as simple as that. Doubt it, still gonna have the diffs taken apart.

Last edited by dropzone; 07-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 AM

Wtf did i just read??????

Stealing stock gears?

No evidence of tampering 3rds

Wtf are you thinking, i think your one yire fires burnt your clutch.. abd sibce it qas gone at a body shop for a while you forgot how it felt so its going to feel dramtically different. Yotas arent for the one tire fire community and please dont click that e locker and try to light them both up that probly might ne something you tryed?

Quick Reply: I want my Toyota Tacoma to chirp off the line and burn rubber...