Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

i think i bought my tires too big!! help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You can also just pound the pinch weld and do some slight cutting on the fenders too.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow i hate that ur tires rub for ya man b/c i got 33's on stock suspension in an '01 and they dont really rub that bad and jus do the 99 sping coils cause that will give u an extra inch of lift and then they should clear fine but if not trim some of the pinch weld and the inner fender and ull b good 2 go
Old 04-13-2008, 08:19 PM

is it rubbing on the valence bumper (the lower plastic one) only? if so you could just cut it yourself. you're jumping to conclusions to quick. just trimming will get you by.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:52 PM

how about wheel spacers? 1.5 on all 4 tires, then sell it to a vato and buy a 4x4
Old 04-13-2008, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
uhhh just get a toytec spacer lift or something, should be cheap and it'll work alright.
screw the haters.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:15 AM

alright, thank you everyone for your inputs! i appreciate it. so heres the deal, someone mentioned that i do have a 2wd and i do, so i dont do any hardcore offroading, but i still would like my truck to be lifted a bit to give it a more aggressive stance, and so it wont rub anymore. the tires are not rubbing on the lower vailance, the are rubbing on the hard plastic lining of the wheel well. i wouldn't mind just trimming the fenders instead of buying a lift, but im not really good at that kind of stuff, and i dont want to screw it up and make it look stupid.
and yes i agree with all of you that said i should have researched it before buying them, but i got excited, and didnt think about it. and there isnt a day that goes by without me thinking, why didnt i buy a 4x4, but currently i cant afford to buy a different truck.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-14-2008, 06:18 AM

dude, its a 2.7L, i dont have any power to begin with, but of course, going from 28in tires to 32in tires is going to make a difference in power and torque, but it doesnt really bother me

Originally Posted by 111db
Have you noticed any power/torque/MPG loss? If so, a lift (suspension or body) won't remedy that.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:21 AM

do you know of any diy's on here about cutting the fenders?

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
You can also just pound the pinch weld and do some slight cutting on the fenders too.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:21 AM

just take the fenders off. who needs em anyway.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brianyaklin
do you know of any diy's on here about cutting the fenders?
I can take some pictures of what I did. Its very simple.

Its best to use a 4"-6" grinder with a cut-off wheel. They make clean cuts, and you really only have to take about 1-2" material off. If you pull the plastic wheel lining off from the rear area that goes next to your front doors, you'll find the low-hanging pinch weld which can easily be pounded in with a hammer.

Try that first, by hammering that is, and then see if you need to go into the cutting.

A guy fit 35's on without much lift on http://www.trailslesstraveled.com but, the link for me isn't working.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:54 AM

im sorry, i feel like a newbie, i took off the lining and i dont know what im really looking for, can you take some pictures for me, or maybe if you know of a diy that would be awesome too! thank you

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
I can take some pictures of what I did. Its very simple.

Its best to use a 4"-6" grinder with a cut-off wheel. They make clean cuts, and you really only have to take about 1-2" material off. If you pull the plastic wheel lining off from the rear area that goes next to your front doors, you'll find the low-hanging pinch weld which can easily be pounded in with a hammer.

Try that first, by hammering that is, and then see if you need to go into the cutting.

A guy fit 35's on without much lift on http://www.trailslesstraveled.com but, the link for me isn't working.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 PM

Where exactly on the fender is it rubbing? You can pound the fender seam flat, Massage the fender inner lips or cut them off with a cut off wheel. 31 10.5 were stock so you are only slightly over stock. Maybe a ball joint lift in the font and add a leafs in the rear? I'd say do that over a big body lift. Also - pounding and trimming the inner fenders and a small body lift might work.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
order a 1 2 or 3 inch body lift.. your tires will be fine and your truck will look taller... this is a perfect way to do what you need cheaply.. and its as easy and putting like 10 or 12 bigger body mounts on like under a few hours tops cheers..

Last edited by rworegon; 08-03-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:05 AM

yeah man thanks, i went over to 4wheel parts yesterday and picked up a 2.5in body lift for the front and rear. the guy there said that it would easily clear my tires, without any problem. im puttin it on tomorrow, so ill post some before and after pictures to let you guys see what the deal is with everything.

Originally Posted by bigt
order a 1 2 or 3 inch body lift.. your tires will be fine and your truck will look taller... this is a perfect way to do what you need cheaply.. and its as easy and putting like 10 or 12 bigger body mounts on like under a few hours tops cheers.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-03-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm scared that you said "body lift for the front and rear" do you mean suspension lift? body lift lifts the whole body, not just hte front or rear.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 AM

yea you sure they didnt give you some spacers? i know daystar is 2.5, was it that?
Old 04-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Caffeine
I agree with the body lift idea. Most people here turn up their noses about body lifts since it has very little benefit for offroading -- but it sounds like you just want your runner to look better without the desire for the rock crawler. But just FYI, you can't use a body lift to raise the front -- a body lift must be equal at all body mounts.

Ever heard of "wheel articulation", or "drivetrain lift"? Both excellent reasons to use body lifts...

To the OP: You might wanna recheck that lift. You may have gotten a suspension lift, not a BL.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The amount of horse crap in this thread is astounding.

First of all, its your damn truck, so put what you want on it. Proper sized tires? I'm not running the proper sized tires on my truck, nor are most of the members here. Why the hell should this guy?

Second, a body lift is an EXCELLENT choice. Anyone who says otherwise has no idea what they are talking about. A body lift is the ONLY non bracket style lift for IFS that allows more clearance for tires. None of these coil spacers or coils will allow you to clear bigger tires.

Put on a 1 or 2 inch body lift, and run the tires you want.

2wd trucks are sweet. I'd love to have one. It'd be on 33's and running LT. Don't let the morons make you feel bad for having a cool truck.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:17 PM

yeah i apologize, i did buy spacers for the front and rear. i made a mistake in the terms.

Originally Posted by Sloan
yea you sure they didnt give you some spacers? i know daystar is 2.5, was it that?

Quick Reply: i think i bought my tires too big!! help!