Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: How fast was she going - asleep?
65-75 mph
8.00%
75-85 mph
46.00%
95-105 mph
44.00%
105+ mph
2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

How fast was she going when she hit me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe you need to get an attorney's advice. I don't see how they can fix a bend frame back to good as it was before it was bent. Maybe let them try and then see if your happy. I'd be bitching for sure. After you get it back take it to another alignment shop and have them check it. Are you sure your neck isn't sore? After my truck got hit my neck started hurting later after I got home. I have recieved about $12K so far for my neck pain. It really does hurt by the way.

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-21-2003 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i haven't had a moment's discomfort from the wreck - seriously. well i take that back, the back of my head hurt for a few hours from when it hit the headrest, but other than, nothin'.

i'll definitely take it to another shop to have them check everything out, especially the alignment. if its out, then it's AWN!
Old 10-21-2003, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
If he was doing 63? and she came up at 80 thats only a 17 MPH hit.
Is that the way it works out? Is it going to be straight math like that? Do we have any engineers that know for sure?
Old 10-22-2003, 05:36 AM

Toyota trucks rule
I see the body shop and adjuster boosted the price up nice and high. anyways at least your covered. good luck
Bill
Old 10-22-2003, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
Is that the way it works out? Is it going to be straight math like that? Do we have any engineers that know for sure?
It is the relative velocity that matters here. The velocity of vehicle #1 relative to vehicle #2. If one was going 50 mph and the other was going 51 mph in the same direction that would the same as a 1 mph impact (one stopped and the other going 1mph). If one was going 50mph and the other was going 51 mph in the oposite direction that would be the same as a 101 mph impact. Of course there are other factors as well like mass of vehicle 1 vs mass of vehicle 2.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
I may not be an "Engineer" per say but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:20 PM

jissus christ..sorry to hear that. The dumb bitch should have her lisence suspended for that! Lol... Good to know you are ok, but ur taco is not looking so good. did she end up bending the frame?
Old 10-23-2003, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

Update: Talked with my ins. co. yesterday and found out that the lady gave us bogus ins. info. the night (morning) of the wreck. They contacted Nationwide and they said that they insured neither she nor the person who owned the vehicle. They told me they are in the process of tracking them down to find out if they have insurance or not - assuming she gave the cop a valid driver's license. The good news is that if they can't find out by the time I pick up my truck, they will waive the deductible and will pay for any rental payment that I would have had to make (they've taken so long to fix the truck that I went over my rental limit). I would have been reimbursed for both by her insurance anyway, but this actually makes things easier on me. Still, pretty unsettling. :wtf:

Edit: should be ready sometime next week (or so I'm told) - so much for this Friday

Last edited by Biohazard; 10-23-2003 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-23-2003, 05:28 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Veloctiy vs. Acceleration

Originally posted by mt_goat
It is the relative velocity that matters here. The velocity of vehicle #1 relative to vehicle #2. If one was going 50 mph and the other was going 51 mph in the same direction that would the same as a 1 mph impact (one stopped and the other going 1mph). If one was going 50mph and the other was going 51 mph in the oposite direction that would be the same as a 101 mph impact. Of course there are other factors as well like mass of vehicle 1 vs mass of vehicle 2.
The velocity of the vehicle is the time, t, rate of change of displacement, s, or velocity, v = ds/dt. The accelaration of the vehicle is the time rate of change of the velocity, or acceleration, a = dv/dt. The resultant force, f, of the crash is what does the damage to the vehicle(s) which is a product of the mass, m, of the vehicle(s) and the acceleration, f = m x a. While velocity is important and certainly crashing into something at a constant velocity, where acceleration is zero, causes damage, accelerating into something is where you really get damage.

For example, a car could only be going 2 mph to start with but quickly accelerate for 2 ft and not reach a very high velocity, but the acceleration would be high, thus the force would be high and the damage would be more than if we rolled the car into something at 2 mph.

Brian
Old 10-23-2003, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Veloctiy vs. Acceleration

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
The velocity of the vehicle is the time, t, rate of change of displacement, s, or velocity, v = ds/dt. The accelaration of the vehicle is the time rate of change of the velocity, or acceleration, a = dv/dt. The resultant force, f, of the crash is what does the damage to the vehicle(s) which is a product of the mass, m, of the vehicle(s) and the acceleration, f = m x a. While velocity is important and certainly crashing into something at a constant velocity, where acceleration is zero, causes damage, accelerating into something is where you really get damage.

For example, a car could only be going 2 mph to start with but quickly accelerate for 2 ft and not reach a very high velocity, but the acceleration would be high, thus the force would be high and the damage would be more than if we rolled the car into something at 2 mph.

Brian
Yes I agree with that too. It definitely would have helped if Nate had hit his accelerator before she hit him. That is where a supercharger would have really helped out huh. Hey at least he didn't hit his brakes. Of course it definitely would have helped if she had been decelerating before she hit him too.

I love physics lessons. I should have said of course there are other factors as well like mass and acceleration of vehicle 1 vs mass and acceleration of vehicle 2. Damn I miss physics!

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-23-2003 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Actually when I think about it, there is some other dominate equation other than F=MA for this problem. Because lets say a car is coasting with no acceleration at 50 mph into a concrete wall. In this case acceleration (A) is 0 and F=M*0 is zero. But yet there is still plenty of damage to the car. I have my physics book in the attic, and I am just trying to remember. Is it impact force or something like that. Some equation that uses velocity and mass. Momentum maybe?
Old 10-23-2003, 09:39 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Momentum

Originally posted by mt_goat
Actually when I think about it, there is some other dominate equation other than F=MA for this problem. Because lets say a car is coasting with no acceleration at 50 mph into a concrete wall. In this case acceleration (A) is 0 and F=M*0 is zero. But yet there is still plenty of damage to the car. I have my physics book in the attic, and I am just trying to remember. Is it impact force or something like that. Some equation that uses velocity and mass. Momentum maybe?
Integral of Fdt = m(v1-v2) = the change of momentum of a body

If a force which varies acts through a space on a body of mass m, the work done is integral of Fds, where s is the displacment, and if the work is all used in giving kinetic energy to the body it is equal to 1/2m(v2^2-v1^2) where v2 and v1 are the velocities at distances, s2 and s1. Work = F x displacement, s

Brian

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 10-23-2003 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Hey that's it, Kinetic energy is (1/2)mass*velocity ^2. So the change in kinetic energy is the dominating force here. There could still be some force from acceleration but it would be insignificant compared to the change in kinetic energy. Good work!

Last edited by mt_goat; 10-23-2003 at 11:12 AM.