Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

How do you remove fender flares

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you remove fender flares

My roomate is trying to replace his electric antena with a whip antena. My question is how do you remove the fender flare from an '01 Sport. I searched, but I could not find anything on it. Anyone have a write up or something. I think I recall someone saying after you remove the inner bolts you just yank it off, but I don't want to F*** anything up because those things are expensive to replace. Thanks in advance for you help.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
rayday,

if you can't find it w/ the search (its down, we know), the next best place to look is in the "Tech" section. if you go there, you'll see this:

http://www.4runners.org/articles/whip

Waskilly has a write up too on this.

Should not be significantly different if at all different from a 98 to an 01 4runner.

Bob
Old 02-18-2004, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
rayday,

if you can't find it w/ the search (its down, we know), the next best place to look is in the "Tech" section. if you go there, you'll see this:

Should not be significantly different if at all different from a 98 to an 01 4runner.

Bob

But, how do you remove the fender flare? I have read the article about replacing the antenna, but all it says is that I need to remove the fender flare, but does not say how.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rayday81
But, how do you remove the fender flare? I have read the article about replacing the antenna, but all it says is that I need to remove the fender flare, but does not say how.
Rayday,

If its an SR5 style, then thats easy. unscrew it and it should come right off.

If its a Limited, ask Skyrat. If search were working, it'd be easy to find. Just PM him and I'm sure he'll elaborate.

Bob
Old 02-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Yo

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
rayday,

Bob
What Bob said with a footnote:Remember that SKYRAT took off the limited flares just a few weeks back to do this. He probably has some picks he'd be glad to email you and some words of wisdom as well since the search is down.

Good luck!

EDIT: Bob beat me again to the punch!
Old 02-18-2004, 09:52 PM

Smile

Here ya go:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=25038

-- Andrey
Old 02-19-2004, 08:25 AM
DSP

Originally Posted by Rayday81
I think I recall someone saying after you remove the inner bolts you just yank it off, but I don't want to F*** anything up because those things are expensive to replace. Thanks in advance for you help.
No doubt , I am still waiting to replace my back passenger side one that was ripped off by an elk...I can't find one for less than $125 unpainted!!!!

It's killing me...
Old 02-19-2004, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys. We figured it out. We really didn't need to take off the flare, just the bolts holding it on so we could pull the wheel well liner out. As I said earlier he was fixing his broken automatic ant. He bought a replacement antenae at Walmart for $9. It was easy as hell to replace once we figured out what we needed to do.

We took off the tire just to make more room to work in there. After that you take off all the bolts and rivets holding the wheel well liner in place and pull it back. Then you just take out one bolt holding the motor in place and pull that mutha out. There is a plug to supply power just below the motor that goes into the engine bay. Unplug that and pull out the motor. Then you cut the antenae wire about 2-3 inches above motor and strip rubber insulater. Then you position the new antenae in place and run the wire down to the cut piece. The end of the wire on the new antenae is made so that all you do is slip the stripped end right into the new wire. Then you just put all the rivets and bolts back and put the tire back on. Super simple, it's actually about 150 times easier than putting the Taco antenae on because you don't have to do anything to the radio. If anyone wants some pictures of the new antenae or has any questions about this PM me.

Hey thanks for the replies guys