Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Hitch Strenght/Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hitch Strenght/Differences?

I did a search and found a lot of good info but I am not sure I really understand the difference.
On the 2003 4Runner, what gives the new hitch style an extra 2,000 lbs. capacity? I know one is considered a weight carrying and the other a weight distributing but I don't understand how one is really much different than the other.
I have the early style hitch and it looks as if it is mounted to a cross member which is mounted to the frame. The new weight distributing hitch is just one piece that is mounted to the frame????? Is this one piece design what gives it the extra tow capacity? Seems like the weight of the trailer is at the same position on the vehicle with either style. Can someone please explain?
Old 08-17-2004, 07:04 AM
lee
Contributing Member

"For the highest trailer capacity, usually a weight-distributing hitch is required with a receiver hitch, at least class 3 or higher. This is different from a weight carrying hitch, which is just a drawbar inserted into the receiver hitch. The weight-distributing hitch attaches to the trailer tongue with adjustments usually with chain links to transfer weight forward to the SUV, putting weight on all the axles."

from a google search...
Old 08-17-2004, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by lee
"For the highest trailer capacity, usually a weight-distributing hitch is required with a receiver hitch, at least class 3 or higher. This is different from a weight carrying hitch, which is just a drawbar inserted into the receiver hitch. The weight-distributing hitch attaches to the trailer tongue with adjustments usually with chain links to transfer weight forward to the SUV, putting weight on all the axles."

from a google search...
So that would make no differnce in the receiver hitch style on the vehicle, both would be condidered a weight carrying hitch on the 2003/2004 4Runners?? Though they still say the early model 2003 4runners have a tow rating of 5,000 lbs, but the later models and the 2004 models are rated at 7,000+ lbs.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:16 AM
lee
Contributing Member

no, itsn ot the same at all. it is altered so that the weight is towed differently. though i dont understand the mechanics of it, it appears that a weight-distributing hitch is a more effective / efficient means of using the runner's power in towing.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:35 AM

Yes, I think I understand the "weight distributing" part of it......that is what my friend has for his travel trailer. There are chains that help transfer some of the weight to the front of the vehicle. But, what does that have to do with the receiver hitch attached to the frame of the truck? I can slide the same drawbar my friend uses into my receiver. This allows me to use the weight distributing setup with my current receiver hitch. I still don't understand the difference between the two receivers.
I don't know where the extra capacity comes from in the receiver part of the hitch between the early 2003 and 2004 models? Why is one stronger?