Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Highlights from mini-wrenchathon

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highlights from mini-wrenchathon

Well today Robinhood 150, Bob_98SR5, and I met up at dbui27's house for some mods. Steve and I were there to help install PP coils on Bob's 4Runner, and Bob was doing the cupholder mod for Dave.

Here's a pic of the rears installed:

The rears took a little longer than expected because the floor jacks Dave had were not quite tall enough. But with a few creative jacking combinations, we made it work.

The fronts came off really quickly, but the garage that we were going to use to compress the springs had apparently closed for good. We were able to find another garage without much of a problem. Here's a pic of the fronts installed:

And here's pic of Bob's new Type R e-brake extension bracket:

That's an easy 50 RWHP gain! That combinied with the Type R diff breather makes for one smokin' fast 4Runner. Who needs a supercharger anyway??

Bob, Steve, Sarah, and I then went to Dave & Busters for dinner. There was quite an "interesting" couple at the table across from us. Thanks to Steve's clandestine photography skills, we were able to snag the following pic.

Hooker? Mail order bride? You be the judge!

Finally, here's a pic of the crew at the table: L to R, Sarah, Steve, Bob. Dave unfortunately couldn't maake it due to prior committments.

Old 05-03-2003, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tom, Steve and Dave,

Tom: i was just about to hit the sack and I was wondering if you were gonna post this tonite. Tom, you fail to disappoint!

Thanks again for doing all of that for me. You guys really went above and beyond to find a second store to do the fronts. Next weekend, I'll surely return the favor w/ some good Korean bbq, mochi, and some Fosselmann's. Don't eat too much on Friday, ok?

Also to everyone else: that "couple" next to us, well, they were quite the odd couple. Though it might not be apparent, the young fella on the right looked like he just returned from his high school's Academic Decathalon practice. Also, I thought skinny black ties went out w/ the Flock of Seagulls about 15 years ago. As for the young lady on the left, she definitely looked like she was "on a timer", so to speak. My feeling is that if you're gonna rent a ho', make sure you call her and tell her not to dress like one.

The funniest part of the pic was how Steve actually composed us to take the pic. As you can see in the last pic, that is how normal people take pics of each other in restaurants. As you can also see, Steve was sitting in the inside of the booth. So what Steve instructed Tom, Sarah and I to do was to lean in towards each other at the other end of the table---but we left a HUGE gap between us so Steve could "thread the needle" and take a pic of them. It was totally obvious but the lovebirds didn't notice---or maybe didn't care. Total comedy.

In anycase, I had a great time meeting you guys. See you all next weekend!

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 05-03-2003 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2003, 11:53 PM

First of all, that chick is Rob Zombie's bassist! BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA! Scary...

Second, Bob, didn't haul the "el grande al-yoon" up there for some blazing shisha action!?!?!?!? I was expecting a big 'ol stream o' smoke pic (still looking, old 35mm pic for scanning!)

Seriously, keep an eye on those PP springs for uneven settling, mine sucked. Some do, some don't.

Mike
Old 05-04-2003, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Bob,

Unfortunately I didn't get any shots of the cupholder mod; I was hoping you did.

It was great fun yesterday, and I'm look forward to that BBQ in a big way!

Have a safe trip back to LA!
Old 05-04-2003, 10:05 AM

Second, Bob, didn't haul the "el grande al-yoon" up there for some blazing shisha action!?!?!?!? I was expecting a big 'ol stream o' smoke pic (still looking, old 35mm pic for scanning!)
AZ,

I thought about it, but man, it was non-stop action. We didn't stop for lunch either! I will probably bring it to the Pismo trip but I think I'll need to buy that wind screen so the coals don't get blown away by the sweet ocean winds of Pismo!

And yeah, she does look like Rob Zombie's bassist!

Measurments, yup, you're right. I need to do that and also keep an eye on the CVs, acoording to Tom.

And Tom, no biggie on the cupholder mod. I did take a few pics, but this install is going to be such a non-standard install b/c we recycled Dave's 97 center console armrest box. This one is truly going to be a custom install. However, he does have use of the cupholder right now so all is well in Maybury----I mean 'Mah-bury". And don't forget to remind Sarah to bring some those CC cookies and mah-sh-mellows next weekend too.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 05-04-2003 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey guys, yesterday was pretty fun, good to finally meet you bob, and dave. Tom and I are getting to be experts on suspension installs. Looking forward to some fun next weekend!

Steve
Old 05-05-2003, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

So, how's it riding and handling Bob???
Old 05-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Next weekend, I'll surely return the favor w/ some good Korean bbq, mochi, and some Fosselmann's. Don't eat too much on Friday, ok?
mmmm fosselmann's!!!.... now that place is awesome!!!

sorry, just had to say that! hehe
Old 05-05-2003, 08:57 AM

ALBPM:

So far so good re PP 1" lift and Bils. My initial impression is that the springs helped firm up the ride in a good way. I was surpised at how much the PP's weighed vs. the stock springs. The stock springs seem anemic by comparison.

I've also noticed on-road that my 4runner doesn't "lean" as much on freeway curves and on-ramps. I've always hated that feeling in both my 99 and my current 98. I can't even imagine what Addcos would be like.

I'll be taking it off-road (sand) next weekend w/ Steve, Dave and Tom on our Pismo scouting trip so I'll give a progress report on them too.

Also, I just noticed we have the same birthday. Now there's a non sequitar for ya!

Good Times: where are you in So Cal? Amazingly, lots of LA folks have no idea what Fosselmann's is. Do you live in the SGV? If so, we should meet up. I'd love to check out your '03. I work near Longo Toyota.

Bob
Old 05-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Good Times: where are you in So Cal? Amazingly, lots of LA folks have no idea what Fosselmann's is. Do you live in the SGV? If so, we should meet up. I'd love to check out your '03. I work near Longo Toyota.

sssshhhhh! must not let the world know of this wonderful ice cream parlor!! hehe actually I grew up in sgv so I know alot of those cool places... hehe

Funny cuz I work near Longo too!! I'm about 3 miles away (south) I think.

Lance
Old 05-05-2003, 09:23 AM

Lance,

If you work 3 miles south of Longo, let's meet up at King Taco on Garvey this week or next. I'll PM you later today.

Bob
Old 05-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Bob,

How about posting an "after" pic of your rig? I wasn't able to get a full shot when you were in the garage.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

Darn!!! Both of us were born on Feb 12!!!

Let's start a Pool on who's the oldest....ROFL!!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 01:23 PM

ALBPM,

You got me by 17 years, sir. (1971)

And Tom, I'll take a pic tomorrow as I don't have my camera w/ me. However when I looked at it this morning, it looks funny. My tires are already getting pretty bald which makes it look even worse.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 05-05-2003 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

LOL.... There weren't any takers on that one anyways..

So, Bob and I want a "Much" nicer looking Blonde than the one in the above picture to POP out of our Birthday cake next February.

You got that guys
Old 05-05-2003, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ALBPM
So, Bob and I want a "Much" nicer looking Blonde than the one in the above picture to POP out of our Birthday cake next February.

You got that guys
I can dye my hair!
Old 05-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

NO!!!!!!

LOL!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Robinhood150
I can dye my hair!
Oh, now THAT would be a site, Steve, with dyed hair, jumping out of a cake.

Does anyone have a pic of Steve that we could photoshop together what that might look like?!?!?

I'd vote for such a pic to be displayed on the new Yotatech banner...
Old 05-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Hooker.