Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

help! some kind of electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help! some kind of electrical problem.

uh well basically my heat gauge, speedo, gas gauge, dash lights (seatbelt, e-brake, etc) and fan don't work. checked the fuses and stuff, but i dont really know whats wrong. is this something i can fix or do i have to take it somewhere?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you chech your fuses with a test light (both sides should have power when on). Did these all go out at once, or gradually? Electrical is usually not easy to DIY (electrical is not easy for some shops either).
Old 05-02-2004, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by rowan
uh well basically my heat gauge, speedo, gas gauge, dash lights (seatbelt, e-brake, etc) and fan don't work. checked the fuses and stuff, but i dont really know whats wrong. is this something i can fix or do i have to take it somewhere?

I have had a small case of that my self. The ignition switch would stick inbetween start and run. The switch return spring is bad on mine so I have grown to turn it back a little until i get a new one. Try moving it back and forth a couple times slowly and see if your gauges work. if not then I would start by ckecking the switch out with a ohm meter.

Greg
Old 05-03-2004, 01:37 PM

well this is pretty interesting... my truck started pretty rough this morning, and hardly had any power on the way to school (like it was about to stall). so during the day i checked to see if it would start, but it wouldn't. it turned over for a second, then just clicked.

after school i had someone jump the truck, but it idled really rough, and if i gave it any gas it would almost die. i tried to drive it, and it stalled out again. so while waiting for my friend to come give me a ride, i checked the gauges fuse(which i didnt find the first time), and that was blown, so i replaced it. after that (with a push so i could drop the clutch) it ran fine. im hoping my problems are solved and i dont need to put in a new alternator (which is what i thought the problem was). but thanks for the replies and if anyone has any further ideas, let me know.

has anyone heard of a blown fuse causing a complete loss of power like that? maybe somehow the gauges are linked to the engine/starter/alternator? seems like a really wierd problem.. and (knock on wood) solution.

the problems i mentioned in the first post happened gradually, and the ignition switch wasn't the problem, but my friend's 4runner does that.