Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help! Install gone wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I can't be of help but I had a remote start installed and they guy said he would never touch another 4Runner. Took them 2 days to get it right. Had similar issues and nightmares with door locks. As for being Texas well 2 weeks ago at the deer lease in the Hill Country it was 13 degrees. I love my remote start.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
anytime you start messing with your ignition system you are asking for trouble....

I bought a runner from the toy dealer and neither them nor I knew there was one installed.....I had the dealer take it off after it left me stranded once off road and started my car by itself in the middle of the ghetto (not good). I know a few people that have come out to a burned carcass of a vehicle that was supposed to be running too...and those were professionally installed starters......just be forewarned...Im not trying to tell you that you shouldnt do it...just sharing MY experience with starters
Be careful, saying this mod is dodgy might get some panties wadded up! Loosen up thread police, cold or not a remote starter that wasn't a FACTORY option is a bad idea. DIY projects that splice wires related to the ignition IS a bad idea. It's a discussion, not a technical how to thread, unless it's a how to F-up your 4Runner thread.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:24 PM

Constant 12V+ White and White/Red Ignition Switch Harness
Starter Black Ignition Switch Harness
Ignition Black/Red Ignition Switch Harness
Accessory Black/Yellow Ignition Switch Harness (Tests as Ignition.)
Tach Black (AC) Diagnostic Connector
Brake Switch Green/White Brake Switch
Trunk Pin Red/White (-) 26 Pin Connector Driver's Kick
Parking Lights Green (+) 13 Pin Connector on Back of Fuse Panel
Door Trigger Black/White (-) 26 Pin Connector Driver's Kick
Door Lock Red/White (-) 13 Pin Blue Connector in Driver's Kick
Door Unlock Red/Yellow (-)
Horn Wire Green/Red (-)

toyotas are a breeze. i did 4 corollas in a day once and had time to do sushi for lunch too My last job we worked for a toyota dealer doing factory toyota installed starters and at my new job we do the same.

Most mechanics won't touch remote starters. prime areas for failure are improper connections and poke thrus where a strand will stick thru your tape (or t tap) and poke into another wire. hopefully those notes will get ya thru. i'd really check your ignition harness maybe its not fully plugged into the key barrell or something random. good luck and just take your time. oh yea and adjust your tilt to see if you have enough slack to not pinch in the column
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Be careful, saying this mod is dodgy might get some panties wadded up! Loosen up thread police, cold or not a remote starter that wasn't a FACTORY option is a bad idea. DIY projects that splice wires related to the ignition IS a bad idea. It's a discussion, not a technical how to thread, unless it's a how to F-up your 4Runner thread.
There's a difference between posting up what you personally had happen and what you think of a certain mod. Considering he has already done the mod, the original post you made has no significance to his question. If the question were "what do you think of remote starters?" then your post would be relevant.

Also, please explain how a thread about him trying to fix his problem is not technical?
Old 02-06-2008, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by nc994run
There's a difference between posting up what you personally had happen and what you think of a certain mod. Considering he has already done the mod, the original post you made has no significance to his question. If the question were "what do you think of remote starters?" then your post would be relevant.

Also, please explain how a thread about him trying to fix his problem is not technical?
I'll keep posting, you keep policing.

It's an ambiguous thread title with content about messing up a 4Runner. The help will come eventually, if the thread isn't deleted for being ambiguous.

Last edited by rearviewmirror; 02-06-2008 at 04:43 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The ignition response is on the right track as was stated. Here is another twist, you state you checked all the fuses. How did you check them? Some times a fuse will "look" good but has been burnt through. Most fuses when they blow will seperate and "splatter" but some will blow but still appear to be intact. I don't know if you checked them with a multi-meter. sounds like you still have a an open fuse caused by a short circuit. I bring this up as I did a auto dimming mirror install last summer and after I got everything installed and checked, I took the truck for a spin. Well by the time I go home, I had no power for my windows, sunroof, gauge cluster, speedo and a few other minor items but had many others such as my rear window. I checked my fuses and they all seemed fine until I started pulling them and checking with a multimeter. I found the issue with the instrumentation fuse which is also part of the back up light circuit. This fuse was the culprit even thought I had checked my installation and the fuses in both fuse panels. I have the FSM and did some wire chasing and found the circuits that were common to my indications and the circuits I had been tapping into. Some good basic stuff in this thread.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but when guys on here put in opinions of the merits of a mod AFTER the fact it has gone south, well it doesn't do any one any good to say that there is or isn't any point to a mod. He came here for HELP. We all do mods because we like to customize our rigs!

Better to read the thread and move on unless you can post some helpful information. Just because YOU don't get it doesn't mean it should not be done. Why would anyone want to "lower" an off road vehicle? I have no earthly idea, but I sure wouldn't critize the guy who has, or the guy who raises the thing 6" either he must like it or would not have done it. We all have likes and dislikes, so lighten up, post some helpful advice or something that may have been overlooked. We all have experiences with different situtations which could be of some help for the guy who is doing something and it went bad. We all need some help now and then, so HELP, don't hinder or say "I told you so" that attitude helps no one! Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now. Good luck finding your problem, I can relate!

Joshwindeel, if you get a chance, I would seriously try to pick up a copy of the Factory Service Manual for your rig as it will have ALL the wiring diagrams so you can chase wires and colors to know where to look and what circuits are being affected by the symptoms you described. It was a life saver for me when I needed to chase those trons trying to find that leaking wire!
Old 02-07-2008, 02:48 PM

Problem solved! The white 12V + wire had a bad connection, so the driver's side fuseblock wasn't getting any power.

Thanks to everyone who helped, you are the reason YT rocks!
Old 02-07-2008, 11:38 PM

sweet, glad you got her fixed, hope the stealership or shop didnt rake you over the coals too much now hows that starter work? lol
Old 02-08-2008, 03:35 AM

having the compustar installed at the compustar dealer gives it full lifetime warranty, i had mines installed on all my toyota, the 2way 3000ft ones. and i tell u guys, i can start my car 3 blocks away, i knoe it cost alot but its worth it, where did u mount the antenna, i mounted mines right behind the mirror on the windshield, also dont install the paging device the rps thing, itll keep ur 2way remote callin for u when theres vibration. u did get hood pin and glass sensor and back up siren and dome light all wired up right?
Old 02-08-2008, 03:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joshwindeel
Problem solved! The white 12V + wire had a bad connection, so the driver's side fuseblock wasn't getting any power.

Thanks to everyone who helped, you are the reason YT rocks!
Glad you got it fixed but that is why I hate those taps.
You should always expose bare wire, solder and heat shrink or tape all your electrical connections.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:27 AM

I took it to a small shop, the guy there is great, but he didn't have time to look at it, so I took it back and traced everything myself. didn't lose anything but time.

the starter isnt really in there, I took it all out to find what the problem was. i think im gonna put it in this weekend, using solder this time. lesson learned!
Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 AM

I think this is actually a really helpful discussion for anyone trouble shooting wiring issues. Too bad about the nonsense drivel that was going on before...
Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 AM

I'm just glad we actually helped fix something, thats what this forum is all about.

Thanks Kiwi
Old 02-08-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Way to stick with it and I think we all learned something out of it....