Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Header decision. What do you think?
TRD all the way.
54.72%
Edelbrock headers with Toyota gaskets.
28.30%
I dont like either of these options, wait for something else to come out.
16.98%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Header decision time...TRD vs. Edelbrock

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header decision time...TRD vs. Edelbrock

Ok guys, its time to start saving my bonuses and OT for headers. I will be installing them myself. Here are the differences I know of:

TRD: Better fit, higher quality, about $1000

Edelbrock: Comparable HP gains to TRD, $350 + $75 for Toyota gaskets.

So, help me out. I am leaning towards Edelbrocks, but am open to any suggestions. I am also open to waiting for other companies who have indicated they may release headers for the 3.4L in the near future.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 05-09-2003 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

You might want to check out Stan's Headers:

http://www.stans-headers.com/

He's supposed to be a bit of legend, Cory could probably vouch for him. I've thought about going to him myself whenever I get mine done.

-David
Old 05-09-2003, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

I know nothing about headers, but if you spend $1,000 for TRD ones, why not just buy a S/C??

I heard that the header install is hell!
Old 05-09-2003, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SLC Punk
I know nothing about headers, but if you spend $1,000 for TRD ones, why not just buy a S/C??

I heard that the header install is hell!
Well, mainly because the SC is another $1K. And, I am leaning toward the Edelbrocks anyway.

Yeah, I here the install is hell too. But, I have access to a sawzall and a lot of tools, and we carpool. So I can leave the Runner in the garage as long as I want.

Trust me, the SC would be very very cool to have, but it wouldnt be smart for us economically.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Downey has headers for the 3.4. Not sure how much though.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get the headers for the exact same reasons you mentioned = cost. As much as a SC would be nice, it does require Premium fuel, maintenance at some point, replacement parts, etc. With the header, I would imagine maintenance would be much, much less, if any.

I did a lot of research and my conclusion was that the TRDs were better b/c of the quality of the Edelbrocks aren't that great. If I can find the word doc where i compiled all the opinions from various threads, ill send it to you.

I believe if you do some hunting, you can get them less than $1000. Maybe around $850-ish w/ shipping. I recall some folks getting theirs for $780-ish + shipping.

I'd say go w/ the TRDs w/ the stock gaskets. Oh, go check on Gadget's webpage. He went w/ the TuRDs.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/exhaust....ust%20Headers:

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 05-09-2003 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Good points. Maybe I should just wait on the TRD's. I heard something about Downey, not sure if they sell them or not anymore.

Keep the ideas coming!
Old 05-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Well, mainly because the SC is another $1K. And, I am leaning toward the Edelbrocks anyway.

Yeah, I here the install is hell too. But, I have access to a sawzall and a lot of tools, and we carpool. So I can leave the Runner in the garage as long as I want.

Trust me, the SC would be very very cool to have, but it wouldnt be smart for us economically.
Ok that answers my question

I am a fan of the TRD stuff so that's where my vote is.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

I just realized that I have 15% off "any one TRD part or accessory" at the dealerships here in AZ. Of course, that means its 15% off of $1200, as they are overpriced to say the least.

Now I am thinking TRD, I like quality.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:39 AM

Best price I found for the TRDs is $715 + shipping from Texas. Let me know if your interested as I still haven't purchased mine yet and maybe they'll give us an even better deal buying 2 sets. (wishful thinking). I will also be getting them ceramic coated by Jet-Hot.

Paul
Old 05-09-2003, 09:59 AM

TRD headers
Old 05-09-2003, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by pfdaxe
Best price I found for the TRDs is $715 + shipping from Texas. Let me know if your interested as I still haven't purchased mine yet and maybe they'll give us an even better deal buying 2 sets. (wishful thinking). I will also be getting them ceramic coated by Jet-Hot.

Paul
Paul-

I will let you know. The only problem is that it is going to take me some time to save up for them. Figure 3 months. I have a friend who works for Toyota here in the Valley, and he claims he can get deals on TRD parts. I will let you know if the deal is significant.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:31 AM

Let me know what kind of price you get. I'm ready anytime to buy. I've been so busy working I haven't had time to play with my Toy. I have yet to do the ECT mod. I have all the parts but haven't had the time.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

I've been thinking about the ECT mod myself- do you know if its something you have to constantly fiddle with (as the outside temp changes and engine runs warmer or colder?)?
Old 05-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
I've been thinking about the ECT mod myself- do you know if its something you have to constantly fiddle with (as the outside temp changes and engine runs warmer or colder?)?
As weird as this may sound, I dont think the outside temp will effect the temp of the engine much. I think that is pretty much controlled by the thermostat. So, you shouldnt have to do much fiddling. But, Dr Z would know better. I heard the idle gets really low with this mod.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:21 PM

Let me start off by saying I have the Edelbrock's on my 98 and I have examined a set of TRDs at the dealership. Furthermore I am biased because I am a cheap mofo. So now that that's out in the open:

The quality of the TRDs from what I saw was better in the interior welds at the flanges, however, this was only because they were ground after they were welded. So the other interior welds could not be any better because they could not get a grinder on them, just like the Edelbrocks. Also the drill hole for the O2 sensor on the TRDs was just as crappy as the Edelbrocks so there is not a difference there. What this means is if you have a die grinder or a dremel you can fix up your Edelbrocks so that they are better/same than the TRDs in terms of welds and you will have paid less than half as much.

Good luck
Old 05-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Away

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
You might want to check out Stan's Headers:

http://www.stans-headers.com/

He's supposed to be a bit of legend, Cory could probably vouch for him. I've thought about going to him myself whenever I get mine done.

-David
I spoke with Stan and he is NOT going to produce headers for the 3.4L. EVER. A custom set would be prohibitively expensive.

My .02
Dr. Z
Old 05-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Away

Downey still makes them for this engine, dude. They are decent headers. They make just as much power as the TRD's. Check here for information and prices.

The ECT mod speeds up the idle actually, rather than slowing it down. It is not affected by outside temp. It's kind of a set and forget mod.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 05-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks- it sounds like its easy enough to set to "zero" and run at stock settings, but I was curious if people constantly had to fiddle with knob to get better performance.
Old 05-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
The ECT mod speeds up the idle actually, rather than slowing it down. It is not affected by outside temp. It's kind of a set and forget mod.
Yeah, what he said.

Quick Reply: Header decision time...TRD vs. Edelbrock