Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

H&R OE SPORT Progressive Rate Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question H&R OE SPORT Progressive Rate Springs

Has anyone installed these springs? They lower the ride height by about 1". What do you think of the performance?
Old 02-13-2004, 06:20 AM
Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Peter,

H&R is who makes the Performance Products springs, both the lowering and lift styles.

So, in essence, a lot of people have tried these springs.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with more info than me. Gadget liked his 1" lowering springs that he bought from PP, btw.

My .02
G
Old 02-13-2004, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
Hey Peter,

H&R is who makes the Performance Products springs, both the lowering and lift styles.

So, in essence, a lot of people have tried these springs.

Hopefully, someone will chime in with more info than me. Gadget liked his 1" lowering springs that he bought from PP, btw.

My .02
G
Hi Galen,
I know about the PP srpings being made by H&R. As I have said before, I really do not like doing business with PP if possible. I intend to call H&R and see what they can tell me, as well as try to find a price that is better than $370.00. I have Eibach's on my wagon and really cannot speak about the difference, although I know many guys in my car club say H&R are far superior because the progressive transition, if you will, is much more uniform and gradual, where as Eibach does not have the QC, and go from spongy to hard rather radically. My Eibach's actually compressed more than what they were rated at (1.5") but that wasn't a big deal for me. I want to know how the H&R's settle in and how they affect the handling. I have been talking to Bilstein and complaining about their overly stiff replacement shocks for our vehicles. I think my setup is going to end up being the Addco bars, H&R springs and OE shocks. I understand that the Tokico shocks suck.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:36 AM

Shocks....

Yeah, I'm not too wild about the Bilstein's harsh ride either - especially this winter. I mean, if the road is smooth, the truck handles great, but go over one small pot hole and u feel like your teeth are gonna fall out.

So, what's another choice besides Bilstein (and Tokico - if they do in fact "suck")??
Old 02-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Away

Koni Adjustables are available for our trucks, I believe. So, that's a brand to consider.

And Peter, I avoid PP myself. They don't have anything I want, anyway.

Good luck with H&R.

G
Old 02-13-2004, 09:36 AM

Although in a different application (91 Honda CRX), I had H&R springs with a 2" drop and my buddy had 2" drop Eibach in his 90 Honda CRX. My ride was much smoother and performed far better than his. I would highly reccomend the H&R's you would not be dissapointed.

The Tokico's are worth the money too!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by steelhead
The Tokico's are worth the money too!
I meant the KONI's my bad!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago

Good luck with H&R.

G
Well, I just finished pulling a 200# angry bear out of a midget's at H&R. I should have listened to my mother and become a proctologist. Damn! The springs that PP carries are made specifically for them and to their specifications. H&R USA knows nothing about the specs or any other details on these springs. Having been in mfg’g for many years, I know that when you do private label you do so to the customer’s specifications and those specifications may be margin based. In other words, they want a product to cost out to x dollars that will retail for x dollars and give them a GM of x dollars. Therefore, it is possible that certain specifications are compromised for cost cutting. H&R assures me that all their springs go through a QC testing to certain standards and PP’s would meet those standards … sounds good doesn’t it? :

Anyway, I guess I will go ahead and order them, check the ride height before and after and see how they settle in after a while, or if the back end starts to sag like earlier models.

I will make sure they know that I do not expect that to happen and if so they will get them back. BFD.

The H&R rep was very cagey throughout my cross examination of him but did I did get him to say they would not be inferior in mfg’d quality. BTW, all H&R springs are blocked before they are sold to insure that the compression psi/sq in is consistent with H&R’s standards.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ManyMods
The H&R rep was very cagey throughout my cross examination of him but did I did get him to say they would not be inferior in mfg’d quality. BTW, all H&R springs are blocked before they are sold to insure that the compression psi/sq in is consistent with H&R’s standards.
I hope you got his statements on tape.....everyone likes to deny they said that after the fact.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
I hope you got his statements on tape.....everyone likes to deny they said that after the fact.
Jamie,
You and I both know that in the end it is "buyer beware", and you cannot tape someone without there consent and have it admissible into record.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:39 PM

I ordered the springs from Sergio !!!! Isn't Serg a hairdresser? anyway, they are warrantied conditionally for one year and if they start to sag unevenly they will take them back. They came in red for the -1" spring , and yellow for the +1" spring Be still my beating heart, I want to mix and match.

Thanks guys and have a good weekend.

Now where did I put my spring compressors?
Old 02-14-2004, 06:29 AM

where did you find that application for a 1" lowering spring? ive looked everywhere on h&r's website and found nothing. is it for 4wd only? did they have it for 2wd? how much? or where you just talking about the pp springs? sorry for all the questions, but im just trying to get my truck to handle like my integra....haha..
Old 02-14-2004, 07:25 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by gn86r
where did you find that application for a 1" lowering spring? ive looked everywhere on h&r's website and found nothing. is it for 4wd only? did they have it for 2wd? how much? or where you just talking about the pp springs? sorry for all the questions, but im just trying to get my truck to handle like my integra....haha..
[FONT=Arial]You are suppose to ask questions because without you there would be no list and no one would learn anything. The springs are in PP's catalog as well as on their website. I think this is only for 6cyl 4wd vehicles (Ref# 109921 @ $369.95 per set of four springs). Give them a call (800)553-2840 and ask them. H&R makes the springs to PP's specs and therefore they are exclusive to PP and not in H&R's line. Always remember that the 4Runner is top heavy, no matter what you do, but rest assured that with suspension upgrades like anti-sway bars (a must) and progressive rate springs you are going to be thrilled with the results. Except for the increased harshness, if you can handle it, performance shocks will add additional stability. Good luck and please let us know what your experience is if you get it all done. My springs will be here on the 23rd and I hope to install them that week. You need a spring compressor for the front coil overs and it appears that there are no spring bushing cups. It should not be a difficult install.
Old 02-14-2004, 08:43 AM

Had a 95 4Runner few years ago. Got Bilsteins and PP 1" lift progressive springs. The ride was improved. After I installed them I had to haul some gravel. Didn't have a trailer at the time so I lined back with plastic and loaded her down. Didn't hardley drop and the ride stayed the same. I will buy somemore for my 02Runner when I get the chance. Go ahead and buy them.

Last edited by neil womack; 02-14-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:17 AM

What about using OME shocks? Does anyone have any experience with OMEs?
Old 02-16-2004, 09:09 AM

KONI does not have an application for 2000 - 2002 4Runners.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:48 AM
Away

Peter, talk to this guy: http://www.nw4runner.com/suspension.htm

He will probably be able to give you some advice and information on setting up a sport suspension on your ride.

Hope this helps.
G
Old 02-17-2004, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago
Peter, talk to this guy: http://www.nw4runner.com/suspension.htm

He will probably be able to give you some advice and information on setting up a sport suspension on your ride.

Hope this helps.
G
Thanks G. I will probably get in touch with this guy. He has a nice website
Old 02-17-2004, 05:33 AM
Away

I thought you might find that interesting.

Have fun!
G
Old 02-26-2004, 03:16 PM

Thumbs up

The PP H&R springs are installed.

I picked the car up tonight, but have not measured the height yet. It does not look any lower but I might give them time to settle in. The OE ride height is 34" (+/- 1/4") with the driver's side lower by 1/4" both front and rear. The front PP coil overs do not look any different than OE, but the rears are deffinitely progressively wound. The ride is soft-er and the vehicle floats over bumps, but hunkers down and is firm in corners, which is what I wanted.

Quick Reply: H&R OE SPORT Progressive Rate Springs