95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Grill Guards....Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grill Guards....Opinions Needed

Guys,
I need some input on these things. I have been looking into getting a grill guard and quickly realized that there is a huge variance in the price of them. For example, PP carries Manik and Smittybilt. They have the stainless Manik for my '01 4Runner for $699.95 and the stainless Smittybilt for $599.95. Why the $100 difference? Is there any noticable difference in the two of them? I started searching Ebay and came across these guys....

http://www.dealsofsteel.com/

specifically this.........

http://bargainman.zoovy.com/product/LMGGTOY

What is the difference in this guys' guard and the Maniks, Smittybilts, etc. I mean we're talking about $400 difference in price. Give me some feedback dudes. Whatcha think?

Later.

Matt
Old 05-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

those ones in the links look just as good as any i've seen. that 699 one is just overpriced. you could probably find the same exact one somewhere else for cheaper, at least that's what i found when i got my waag grille guard. maybe you could email someone who bought from the dealsofsteel and see how they like it??
Old 05-14-2003, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

one thing you might consider is that those things usually cause more damage to the vehicle in an accident than without it. why don't you consider replacing the whole bumper with and ARB or TJM. those brush gaurds are about 300 right? add another 2 to 300 (total around 600) and you can have a nice rugged steel bumper that, in an accident, will leave damage on the victim's car rather than causing more on your's.

Just a thought.

Last edited by keisur; 05-15-2003 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:01 PM

Yeah, Check out the big a$$ bumpers too. I think for under $700 you can pick up a nice ARB winch bumper. Just a thought, good luck in your search.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:48 PM
DuB

I have Toyota brushguard and taillight guards that the dealer threw on my truck for free and the brushguard actually saved me from damage in one accident. Well, it did leave a small black mark on the driver's side where the brushguard touched the paint, but that's it. I tapped someone's rear bumper and there was no damage to the other car, and my brushguard's mounting arm was a little bent at the very bottom. If I didn't have the brushguards, my front bumper probably would've been smushed. A bodyshop straightened the brushguard for free when I had the truck in to fix my door when some idiot backed into it.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

I am definitely going to email some of the guys who have bought from that site. I don't think I am going to go with an ARB type bumper because I really don't do any offroading. I wish I had bought a 4X4. Kicking myself for it now.

Matt
Old 05-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

BTW, CalRocX You're truck looks awesome!

Matt
Old 05-14-2003, 09:07 PM

If you get a one piece Manik, that bolts on your frame, it will protect your front end.

Anything that is more than one piece (not counting those headlight protecting wires) won't work... Nor will something that bolts to anything other than your frame.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

It seems to me like all stainless grill guards should be relatively the same, except for the "brand name recognition" pricing. I mean all of them have to be welded the same and constructed the same from what I can tell. I can see where the modular setup may not offer as much protection as the one piece, but I do not see why the Maniks and Smittybilts are $400+ more than other options out there. I could very well be wrong. If so, someone enlighten me. Later.

Matt
Old 05-15-2003, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DuB
I have Toyota brushguard and taillight guards that the dealer threw on my truck for free and the brushguard actually saved me from damage in one accident.
that was a small fender bump. I'm talking about ramming the mess out of somebody like my wife did in my 4runner about 3 years ago.

Last edited by keisur; 07-29-2003 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:42 AM

If you do end up ordering one, let us know how it turns out. For as much as I want a TJM, not sure I'm going to be able to drop that kind of cash. This might be a decent buy.

The only thing I noticed is that even though it's pictured on a Taco, the drop down list shows that they are only available for Highlanders and Landcruisers.

Last edited by jacksonpt; 05-15-2003 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

If you want options go to performance products... they have tons to choose from.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by turboale
If you want options go to performance products... they have tons to choose from.
Maybe so, but you pay an arm and a leg through them. They are more expensive than local shops for me.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Not to offend anybody who has a grill guard, but I'm actually beginning to get sick of looking at them. I've seen a ˟˟˟˟˟˟-load of them on soccer-mom SUV's, and my feeling is that its not really cool once everybody and their brother, sister, cousin, does it. My props to the people who got in early. However, if its purely for looks that you're doing this, I'd say spend the money on rims or something else. Just my .02's
Old 05-15-2003, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

LSUMatt1514, you might want to check with SpeedSouth or H&H, they are both in Pelham.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

I believe the vehicle that they have pictured is a Tundra. I'm not sure which drop down box you looked at, but if you click on Grill and Light Guards on the main page, and then click Toyota on the left hand side of the page, it will take you to the page with the pic of the Tundra and the drop down menu which has the Tundra, RAV4, and the 99-02 2WD and 4WD 4Runner. I emailed the guy some questions last night and I'm waiting for his response. Like I said earlier in the thread, PP is ridiculously overpriced. I'm sure I can find the ones they carry for much cheaper online but it still makes me wonder why the Smittybilts and Maniks are $300-$400 more than this guys. I'll keep ya'll posted. Later.

Matt
Old 05-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

I got a response back today from one of the guys at DealsofSteel.com I asked the following questions in the email....

1. Is the picture on your site under the Toyota section the actual
picture of the one that I will receive for my 4Runner?
2. Do you manufacture your own grill guards or are they another brand? If they are another brand, can you tell me what it is?
3. Why are your guards $300 when the Smittybilt, Manik, etc are upwards of $500?
4. Do your grill guards come with all the necessary hardware and
instructions to mount it?
5. Does it mount to existing holes on my 4Runner?
6. Are the pre-drilled light holes that are on the crossbar the standard size hole for most lamps?

Here were his answers......

1. The one in the picture is exactly as yours would be.
2. This brush guard is made by LM Industries.
3. LM Industries brush guards are manufactured overseas for less than American made products are.
4. Everything is included for an easy installation.
5. This is a chassis mount design with no drilling required
6. Yes they are 1/2" std openings

Sounds pretty good to me. What do ya'll think. Worth checking out or not worth the effort? Later.

Matt
Old 05-17-2003, 01:20 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation key word: Guard

Not to go off on keisur or anyone else but I wouldn't have my 94 SR5 V6 4x4 if it weren't for the grille guard some soccer mom had on it.
I found my runner at an auction. The lady had hit a post pretty hard and the grille guard had a nice cicle indention in the cross-bar (middle) section. Sure, the side portion of the grille guard had busted the head-lamp assembly and the top busted the grille, bent the radiator support, and pushed the radiator into the fan, but I drove it home from the auction with it only leaking a bit of water.
If the guard hadn't been there it would've been hacked for parts (a sad end 4 a 4runner).
The best part is I got it for $3400 and I've fixed it for about $1000 (with a flex-a-lite) so I figure I'll be in it for under 5 when I'm done.
I'll be the first to admit the ARB does the job (I'm saving for one someday myself) but if you're not going to be needing a winch and can find a good guard for 4 bills or less, do it!
Besides, if you ram the crap out of someone (unless you opt for the ARB) it probably won't matter what you're wearing. As long as it's your seat belt.

Last edited by wynn; 05-17-2003 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:47 AM

Matt:

Did you get it? Keep us posted. I might get one myself.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Plamar,
Not yet. I am trying to buy my first house so the mods are taking a backseat (no pun intended) right now.

Matt

Quick Reply: Grill Guards....Opinions Needed