Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Grand Cherokee vs. Runner??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cherokee vs. Runner??

Alrighty, I am almost a converted member now to your board from jeepsunlimited.com and nagca.com (dont tell). I previously drove for 4 years a ZJ on 36s and I just finished taking her down to sell. I am in the market for a newer 4x4 and was dead set on another ZJ till my girlfriend asked me to consider the Runners. I kinda was hesitant about it, but the main reason I got rid of my ZJ was because of driving problems, it was near impossible to drive her on the road and feel safe, take someone with me, or drive without two hands. Soooo, I figured, I see what you guys were all about, found this board, read some old topics regarding lifts/tires/etc. and now I am almost set on getting a 3rd. gen. Runner. I MUST lift it so her are my wonderful newbie questions:

--First off, tell me about Runner axles, strength, gear ratio stock, anything.....
--Does ARB make a Bull Bar for the 3rd. Genoration Runner? Can't seem to find one.
--Best lift advice to start out with for a newbie?
--and anything else you all would like to add, I now know NOTHING about Yota's but heck, by the end of tonight, I should be MUCH better off thanks to your board.

I have read quite a few topics on here and being a previous memer of several other boards, you all seem to have the best manors, respect, and concern for a new person on board and to me, that is VERY well apperciated..THANKS! ......
Aight, hit me with it and hit me hard!..peace
Bennett Sansbury
Old 04-26-2003, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard! Lots of the members have 3rd gens on here and can help with your questions. My 2nd Gen suspension is different.

I just added a WJ to the stable in December and have been hitting NACGA for info/advice. I probably won't lift the WJ and add bigger tires (3.55 gears) I will likely ditch it for a 3rd gen in a year or two. It was purely a financial decision. Same year/milage in a 4Runner was $5-7K more.

I won't rat you out over at NACGA...
Old 04-26-2003, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bennett,

Welcome to the boards here. You've posted some intelligent questions and you definitely will make friends quickly here. In regards to specs, here's some links to all the 3rd gen years (specs) from the Toyota pressroom website:

2002 http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...=20024runner_s

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...=20014runner_s

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...=20004runner_s

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...=19994runner_s

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...=19984runner_s

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...=19974runner_s

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_li...=19964runner_s

Happy reading!

Bob
Old 04-26-2003, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Bennet...
Take it from me, a former Jeep fan...until last week, that is.
I was in a similar position. My XJ was getting tired and it was time to replace it. Went looking for one and a dealer convinced me to try a 4Runner. Loved everything about it, but had some concerns very similar to yours. Got on the net, looked into TONS of info available. On Friday I drove home my brand new used 1991 SR5 4Runner and I gotta tell you...there's very little I don't like about it. I was fortunate...got a good price, got ALLL the service records, called my local dealer and picked the brains of the Service guy, his manager and two mechanics who drive what I had considered high milers...over 200K miles.
The ride is smoother, quieter and taller than the XJ. There are some downsides...mileage is poor. Expect no more than 15 - 17/gal. However, easy on the gas pedal and you'll see similar to your Cherokee. Check the VIN number if you're buying the V6 engine...some issues with the head gasket and even with the ones that they replaced them with. That in mind, Toyota offers an unlimited miles/time replacement on the gasket and any damage a leaker causes. Don't let a local dealer tell you the service campaign is over. If they have not replaced the gaskets on 90 - mid 95 they owe you one...but they only guarentee THAT one for 12/12K. regeardless, there is TONS of great info on the 'net, but you gotta search and read and consider.
Bottom line...These trucks seem to run forever, with the proper care and feeding. You are not gonna believe the numbers, when you read some of the info regarding how many miles, or kilometers some of the people on this forum, and elsewhere, have on their truck.
I bought a '91

with 174,00 kiolos on it and I swear, it rides, looks and runs like new! I expect to have it for a long time and I know it's gonna be in way better shape than the Cherokee sitting in my driveway, baffed out at 400,000 kilos...tired, leaky, noisy and clunky.
Look long and hard, but your gonna keep coming back to the Toyota. I have no affiliation with any car company, but I do know what I like. Good luck!
bp
Old 04-26-2003, 08:02 PM

Cool, thanks fella's---I am still trying to get my mind in the right place, I am slooooowly working my way over to the Runner vs. the Grand. As much as a LOVED my ZJ, everyone seems to be doing the same thing I did 4-5 years ago. I want something different, yet give me a GOOD ride on road and that is REALLY dependable, I will even spend a little more cash now, when buying one, then buying something else. This next 4x4 for me will have to serve BOTH jobs, my weekend get-a-ways and my commutes on the weekdays to and from classes. I hope that the Runner can combat that for me, which I think it will.

I am currently thinking about the OME lift plus a 1" spacer in the front to counter the OME rear spring height.
What kind of vibes are you guys getting with this lift? I have no problem with ordering the diff. drop down spacer.

Also, how do you all address the rear track bar (panhard rod). I know on ZJ's you can't go over 2" or so with out relocating it to get the axle recentered...

Thanks and sorry to sound like a NEWBIE!...peace
Bennett
Old 04-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

Nobody gets any vibrations from their respective lifts.

As for the panhard rod, only a few have addressed that and added a bracket made by a fellow member. Most go without correcting it. No biggie if you left it alone.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

I have had 2 Jeep Cherokees in the past (88 and 94), and have also had a 96 Grand Cherokee for a short period (it was stolen). There is no comparison between these and the Toyota's. Don't get me wrong, Jeep makes a good truck. But I wouldn't trade my 4Runner for ANY Jeep. The 4Runner is just a better vehicle, that's the bottom line.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:36 PM

Hey benzj,

Welcome to YotaTech. I too, am a fan of Jeeps but there are 2 main reasons I don't buy one though:

1. There's just not enough room to put ppl and things in there. I like the short overhang in the rear for off-roading, but it's too space limiting to move anything or go on a road-trip in.

2. Reliability. I've seen Jeeps have mechanical & electrical problems much too frequently & I'm worried I'll be fixing something if I take it out on the trails or even drive it day to day.

--First off, tell me about Runner axles, strength, gear ratio stock, anything.....

: rear axle seems sturdy enough. Someone else on this board made a comparison between it and a dana #, but I don't recall which # now... Models w/the electric rear locker have 4.30's which is kind of nice and you can fit 265/75R16 tires w/o any lifting a.k.a approx. 32x10.5x16.

--Does ARB make a Bull Bar for the 3rd. Genoration Runner? Can't seem to find one.

: Yes. ARB makes a front bumper & so does TJM. Those are the 2 most common/popular front bumpers for the 3rd gen. 4Runners.

--Best lift advice to start out with for a newbie?

: Seems to be OME springs & shocks. Progressing to SAWs in the front w/OME or Downey for the rear.

--and anything else you all would like to add

: I am absolutely amazed with the quality of Toyota and the 4Runner. It's so reliable and drives so well. I have 80,000+ miles on mine and I swear it drives like I have 10,000 miles on it. Mechanically & electronically speaking, everything pretty much works perfectly. In stock form, it already performs so well on & off road. It's an excellent vehicle that I enjoy each & every time I see & drive it.

Call me biased, but I don't know how you could go wrong by buying a 4Runner.

Al
Old 04-26-2003, 10:39 PM

To be very straight forward, a 4Runner is a higher quality vehicle. Period. Much more reliable, you really can't go wrong with it. Just don't go throwing Jeep parts on it out of habit or you will end up with a third Gen like mine Although that wouldn't be such a bad thing...
Old 04-27-2003, 03:00 AM
Contributing Member

Not to mention resale value...
Old 04-27-2003, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

I started with a '94 4Runner, went to the dark side with a new '97 Grand Cherokee. Must have been a Friday, 4:59pm, got to get it off the line production unit.

It blew through 3 sets of rear axle bearings, 2 ring/pinion sets, auto trans rebuild and the front door bearings on the drivers side literally fell on the ground one day. Believe it or not, this was all warranty work, and all happened in the first 18 months I had it. When the rear bearings started to howl again, I got rid of it, and headed back to the 4Runner.

Never have looked back!
Old 04-27-2003, 08:40 AM

We had a few jeepers film us in our run to the badlands offroad park yesterday!! THere was a huge group of Tacos, and just destroyed these obstacles that jeepers were stuck on! it was a grand ole sight!

Just shows you how much people with 'Yota's LOVE their rigs! you can't go wrong with a runner!

~Mike
Old 04-27-2003, 09:06 AM

Good to hear fellas, THANKS...
I am frantically trying to find a 98 Runner limited 4x4 in Champagne(sp) around my area with decent miles on it.

Tell me this: Is it ok to find a higher milage Runner compared to spending alot more cash and getting a lower milage one? What is the life expectance of these bad boys, I take immaculate care of my vechiles and would like to be able to keep this one for a WHILE..thanks guys, peace
Bennett
Old 04-27-2003, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by benzj
Good to hear fellas, THANKS...
I am frantically trying to find a 98 Runner limited 4x4 in Champagne(sp) around my area with decent miles on it.

Tell me this: Is it ok to find a higher milage Runner compared to spending alot more cash and getting a lower milage one? What is the life expectance of these bad boys, I take immaculate care of my vechiles and would like to be able to keep this one for a WHILE..thanks guys, peace
Bennett
a higher mileage 4runner wont make any differnce, of course it would always be nice to find what you want, with low miles. but these are 200,000+ motors and even if u got one with 100,000 on it, you would still be in great shape, especially if you take such great care like you say. my 2.7L now has 110,000 on it and it drives beautifully, no problems here, and i dont expect any.
also, since u are coming from a v8 platform, and want some more power, the TRD S/C is a great investment, and many people on the board have them and are very happy with them. visit www.gadgetonline.com for any questions you might have on the S/C. good luck and once you get the runner, you will never look back
Enjoy!

-Casey
Old 04-27-2003, 01:16 PM

Actually, I had the I6 engine. It had power yet with 36s on it, I was slow with 4.56s. I don't need the power of a V8, as long as I can pull the 285's on the Runner with out too much of a loss. I doubt it will be that bad.

I am looking at a "higher" milage Runner, and yes, the SC would be NICE. But I honestly, don't really need that, I need a vechile that is going to take me everywhere I want to go and back with the best ride possible. If I am going to be going somewhere, that I can't get myself out, then I don't need to be there in the first place......

Now, gotta search and find which lift option is going to be best for my budget now..............
THANKS fella's--It is really nice to beable to ask a question and now worry about getting killed with "Your a dumbass...." etc. crap from people.....thanks!
Bennett
Old 04-27-2003, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Benzj, welcome to the best forum around. Lots of very nice and helpful people around here. Just got to coment on one thing. When buying a high milage vehicle, remember to do a car fax on it and hope that it has all maintanance records with it. Toyotas will last a long time if properly cared for. I have had mine for 8 years now and it only let me down once when a sensor went out. Had to chug it out in 1st gear for 5 miles to get to a dealer. That was 6 years ago. Good luck in your search and be patient. The right one will come along. It took me a year to find mine.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:30 PM

Welcome to the forum benzj! If you are looking for a 98 runner, don't forget to look one with the rear differential lock. It is nice to have one, just in case you need it when you go off roading.

Originally posted by HBoss
--and anything else you all would like to add

I am absolutely amazed with the quality of Toyota and the 4Runner. It's so reliable and drives so well. I have 80,000+ miles on mine and I swear it drives like I have 10,000 miles on it. Mechanically & electronically speaking, everything pretty much works perfectly. In stock form, it already performs so well on & off road. It's an excellent vehicle that I enjoy each & every time I see & drive it.
Same thing here. Mine is a 94 Runner with almost 90,000 miles and still running strong. Never have a problem whatsoever. You will never look back once you got the Runner. Ahhh that Toyota quality, what a feeling!!!!!

Noel
Old 04-27-2003, 08:31 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum

If you are looking for a 3rd gen try to find one with the rear lockers factory installed. One less mod you dont have to worry about in the future.
Old 04-27-2003, 08:53 PM

Thanks everyone, I am slowly learning everythin so far and it does not seem to be anything out of the ordinary. I do like the fact that Runners have the opt. locker in the rear and I will do EVERYTHING to get that mod. stock. That's sweet.

I am concerned with one thing though-- What is the power loss like with 285s? That is most likely the tire size that I will be running in a BFG MT, therefore, I'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks guys, you all have been nothing but wonderful help, I LOVE the search!...peace
Bennett
Old 04-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Benzj,

I too understand what you are talking about. I got a Toyota Pickup for my birthday when I turned 16. It was a 95 4x4. I loved it.

My best friend decided to get a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. He hated it. The tranny was replaced twice under warranty. It seemed every week he was fixing something. He never had time to mod it.

I now have a 96 Runner. I 'fell' into what seems to be the perfect vehicle for me. Mine is the Limited (which I like) it has leather and rear heat... but best of all it has electronic 4x4, a rear locker (stock!) and is rock solid.

I bought it a year ago with 84k on it. Around 97k I put on the supercharger. I now have 104k and I don't look back. This pup will go another 100k without any major problems. The engine, tranny, and electrical system are so rock solid it is sick. I run two amps (2000w total), extra 12v outlets, a power inverter, extra lights and high watt headlights and it doesn't even flinch

Enjoy your runner. But beware: you will get MOD fever!

Dan

Quick Reply: Grand Cherokee vs. Runner??