Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Got My HID's Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
Actually there is nothing "illegal" about these kits at all per say... it is just illegal to use them "on-road" in most areas... but that can change depending on what jurisdiction you happen to be in at the moment...
In the US, it's pretty much all areas that they can't be used, and if you're caught with them, you're surely going to get a ticket. NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Adm.) has terminated sales of numerous HID kits. They do not comply with the DOT or FMVSS (specifically, S. 108). Lets be clear that none of these kits comply with the departments stated above.

EDIT: pdyebrasil beat me to it.

Last edited by cackalak han; 02-13-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree that it isn't cool to promote "illegal" things, and I personally HATE this stupid HID crap.

BUT, my truck is so far from DOT approved, its not even funny. Downing a case of beer is a felony. DOT violations are misdemeanors, and not very severe ones.

I started a whole thread bitching about these damn lights. I, in fact, try to blind anyone who has them, projector or no. That is illegal also. Not saying I'm right, far from it. But Fo Sheezy's violations are no worse than any of the rest of ours in the eyes of the law, just his bugs the hell out of a bunch of us.

Trying to keep the flaming of a member down. Flame the mod all you want, but hes not the only one here running these things, nor will he be the last.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes! Another thread turned into an argument about hid kits! Count me in!

Just kidding about that. I won't be saying anything other than I don't like them, for reasons already stated. I am not going to bash you for doing a "kit", as that is between you, the other people who drive the same roads as you, and law enforcement.

The real reason why I posted was to ask fo_sheezy this:

I don't know how much you spent on your kit, or how much you spent on your micro de's, or how much you spent on the h3 kit for the de's, but I would be willing to be that the total of all of those things is getting pretty close, if not over, the cost of doing a proper retrofit.

It just seems that you could have skipped all the in between steps and gone to a retro (for possibly less money) and had better output than you are ever going to get with a kit and some de's (fog or driving?) with a kit. I understand wanting to have the de's on top of the headlights (whatever is in them), but I wouldn't have gone the same route as you. Maybe done a retro, then see if you really needed the de's.

This is just my .02, as you have stated that you are eventually going to do a retro, why waste the money now on kit's? If I know that I am going to paint my truck in a week, I am not going to bother putting touch-up paint on all the dings and scratches

Last edited by b.miller123; 02-13-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
I agree that it isn't cool to promote "illegal" things, and I personally HATE this stupid HID crap.

BUT, my truck is so far from DOT approved, its not even funny. Downing a case of beer is a felony. DOT violations are misdemeanors, and not very severe ones.
You're missing my point(s) (especially about the case of beer). Whether this guy is on my road or not, he is blinding people regardless. I was just using the beer thing AS AN EXAMPLE (I even said it's an extreme one, but just trying to get the point across. ). Perhaps you can look at it like I'm representing those that he blinded in his town that can't come on here to nag him about it.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:45 PM

stuntin here eh? looks good man, dont let haters keep u down
Old 02-13-2008, 05:15 PM

Trust me these aren't really that blinding, I stood in front of my vehicle at many different locations and distances and they aren't really that bad. TRUST ME. For example earlier today I passed my girlfriend in her acura integra, while I passed her I asked her (on the phone) what she thought about my headlights, she said that they are to blue. She didn't say anything about them being blinding, and no one has flashed there high beams at me either. Now for my 8,000k HID's which put out a very bright white light, those were blinding, but I no longer have them. And yes, I do plan on doing a projector retrofit in the future. Here are some more shots:

Old 02-13-2008, 05:20 PM

Your parents have a much nicer house than my parents.

Last edited by Whitey13; 02-13-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:21 PM

Ok, just to let you know my first reaction when I saw those pictures, and I quote: "Holy F those are blue!" Have fun seeing with those in the rain!

They look kinda cool, but are pretty impractical...
Old 02-13-2008, 05:23 PM

Oh, and I wish I was down in Tennessee... We have 4 feet of snow on the ground and it's a freakin blizzard outside!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

I bet they could nail you for one of those projector kits too unless it a specific kit for you installation. In my experience though these kinds of tickets are only issued as "add-on" charges when they've already got you for something else.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Banned

IF you blinded me (you WILL be blinding oncoming traffic) and caused an accident I would sue you and win BIG. Your dad who owns the truck would be pissed since he would actually be the one named in the lawsuit.
It is reckless to run HID's in non-HID housings. Criminally so, IMO. Because, if it were me, and we survived the accident, you would not survive much longer.
Buy real HID's that do not diffuse light all over creation. You can even see the disaster in the pics you posted. Light going everywhere with no sharp delineation at all.
Getto HID's is what you have there. Bright? Sure. An improvement over stock? Not for anyone unlucky enough to be sharing the road with your stupid ass.
I've got 1500$ tied up in REAL HID's on my rig so I know how freakin' bright they are. You do not need that on the street. Off road is another story.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FO i like em! a little too blue for me. i got arested back in college for "impersonating a police officer" because i had red and blue neons under my truck. (i also has green too but the red/blue are for official use onlyso thats what i got introuble for) any how all these people saying they're a distraction need to snap to the real world. life is a distraction, cell phones, radios, bright ass led advertisement signs. Those should be illegal! any how, to each his own and good looking truck!
Ps i have a thread coming up with my "crappy, ghetto ass, cheap HID PnPs"
Old 02-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ETRNL
any how all these people saying they're a distraction need to snap to the real world. life is a distraction, cell phones, radios, bright ass led advertisement signs. Those should be illegal! any how, to each his own and good looking truck!
Ps i have a thread coming up with my "crappy, ghetto ass, cheap HID PnPs"
Well, if I see you on the road in UT, rest assured, I will blind you right back. My lights truly ARE illegal. There is no question about it. Hopefully we will never meet on the road.

Distraction? We aren't talking about distraction. We are talking about ability to see. What the hell gives you the right to blind me? And how do your distractions, like cell phone and radio, distract me?
Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is this, a soap opera or something? if he wants his 22's on his 4runner, LET HIM! if he wants blue lights, LET HIM! id rather see those 'cheap kits' in my face than most of the offroad lights we all have on our rigs. talk about bright! its no ones decision but HIS of what goes on. and i have almost the same kit, i drove around for a few months with them, passed many cops, and not ONE pulled me over. i just didnt like that i couldnt see in the rain really well. so leave him alone guys, hes a member here isnt he?
"What the hell gives you the right to blind me?"
well, what the hell gives you the right to remove your cat and smog equipment and screw up the air im breathing? im not talking to you personally axle, just generalizing. what gives you the right to put a loud muffler on and crank your stereo so loud i cant hear myself think? so ill leave it at this: leave the guy alone, hes doing his own thing, making his truck look the way HE wants it to look, and its no one elses decision but his. ok, im done. . fosheezy, keep up the good work dude, trucks lookin sharp.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Mogger
Because, if it were me, and we survived the accident, you would not survive much longer
I couldn't possibly agree more. Especially if my family was hurt.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

I think Axle's point is mods that directly and immediatly affect other drivers. Removing my cat isn't going to have a direct result of death on another driver.

Illegal mods don't always mean they are dangerous but improper lighting is impeding on others directly and that is the point that is being made.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
what is this, a soap opera or something? if he wants his 22's on his 4runner, LET HIM! if he wants blue lights, LET HIM! id rather see those 'cheap kits' in my face than most of the offroad lights we all have on our rigs. talk about bright! its no ones decision but HIS of what goes on. and i have almost the same kit, i drove around for a few months with them, passed many cops, and not ONE pulled me over. i just didnt like that i couldnt see in the rain really well. so leave him alone guys, hes a member here isnt he?
"What the hell gives you the right to blind me?"
well, what the hell gives you the right to remove your cat and smog equipment and screw up the air im breathing? im not talking to you personally axle, just generalizing. what gives you the right to put a loud muffler on and crank your stereo so loud i cant hear myself think? so ill leave it at this: leave the guy alone, hes doing his own thing, making his truck look the way HE wants it to look, and its no one elses decision but his. ok, im done. . fosheezy, keep up the good work dude, trucks lookin sharp.
So, you are okay with lights that blind you, could easily cause you to drive off the road because you can't see, especially in adverse weather? If so, that is fine. I'm not.

Again, I am not advocating personal attacks of any kind, and I don't think that FoSheezy is a bad guy at all. He certainly isn't the first to do this.

If FoSheezy had these as offroad lights, which are required to be OFF when on the road, I would have ZERO problem. But these are his headlights. As in, he will be driving with them on the road. That affects other drivers. That is a problem.

Its fine that you don't share the same concerns. I have a legitimate complaint against these. I have, along with others, written NUMEROUS letters to both my state and local officials, and progress is being made. I don't know if they will get BANNED, but the hope is to make the penalty stiffer for non proper useage. This isn't just an internet rant thing that I do.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actually, they dont blind me. the TRUE HIDs DO! lol. with projectors and all that stuff to magnify the light and all, THOSE blind me, not the kits. same with the fog lights manufactorers put in the bumper now. those blind me more in good or bad weather than the hid kits.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Well, if I see you on the road in UT, rest assured, I will blind you right back. My lights truly ARE illegal. There is no question about it. Hopefully we will never meet on the road.

Distraction? We aren't talking about distraction. We are talking about ability to see. What the hell gives you the right to blind me? And how do your distractions, like cell phone and radio, distract me?
thats cool you might even get a prize for being the first person to flash me.
and i was talking about YOUR radio, and Your Cell phone distracting yourself. mine might even distract me.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:17 PM

Like I said in my previous post, these lights really are't that blinding. The glare is not that bad at all. I don't believe these lights will be a distraction at all to any other drivers. I turned them on and stood in front of my vehicle from my different angles and distances, so trust me when I say they are alright and safe to other drivers.

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
Oh, and I wish I was down in Tennessee... We have 4 feet of snow on the ground and it's a freakin blizzard outside!!!
Haha I dunno man, I kinda would like to see some snow, and Tennessee is pretty damn boring, well Johnson City is pretty damn boring..

Last edited by Fo_SheeZy; 02-13-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Got My HID's Installed