Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is This Good As The Corey Cable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is This Good As The Corey Cable?

Well I've beening reading up a lot on the clay bar, waxes, polishes and etc, but from what I read, doing it by hand is a workout. I'm not sure if this is good as the Corey Cable, since this is what I have. Would this be ok to use on my paint?

Thanks

Last edited by Vato Loco; 02-05-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
NO

Sorry, but no. The Porter Cable Orbital sander rotates and oscillates a bit. That grinder would burn you a nice hole in the paint. The Griot's Products are made just for the PC orbital sander. It is worth the money, to do it right! Lowe's and Home Depot sell them for $100-$135.

Old 02-05-2004, 05:53 PM

How would you guys rate Meguiar's products for removing swirl marks, polishing, and waxing? None of my local stores carry Griot's.
Old 02-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Banned

Griots

Griots is all mail order as far as I know.

www.griotsgarage.com

Also check out the "products" page and download the FREE "detailer's handbook"

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2004, 07:17 AM

Meguire's is ok but it doesn't last. I'm using Zaino, it's also a mail order product and really easy to apply and remove by hand. The hardest part of waxing is buffing by hand, with Zaino, you just wipe it off like wiping off dust on your rig.

Ever heard of NuFinish? That lasts longer than wax. It's also a polymer not a wax. It works pretty good. You can buy this at most auto stores. Some people don't like it but it worked well for me. However it's nothing compared to Zaino. I'm sure Griots is just as good as Zaino... but I've never used it.

Last edited by gtaSR5; 02-06-2004 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

Question

What about this one?
Old 02-06-2004, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by cabbage
What about this one?
Nope, that's a sander. Dewalt does have a polisher and is very good.

Hopefully this is the right link...

Clicky
Old 02-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
RPMs are way to high on some of these units, and they must be a random orbit to simulate the action your hand does.

Really...the best unit for this is the tried and true Porter Cable 7336.

Look at the RPM listing, see how low it is?
You want low RPMs or you will burn your paint.

Also the Porter Cable unit has built in slippage.
If you push to hard on it, it free spins and won't burn your paint.
Want proof?
Watch the vid

More info on using the PC can be found on my detail site.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys! I have the dewalt sander already so..... but now I know
Old 02-06-2004, 08:35 AM

My link shows a variable speed polisher so you can slow it down for different applications. Having said that, I do agree that random orbit makes a big difference.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Cool!!! An Angle Grinder for Swirlmarks........

We'll have to start calling you "Sparky" then....LOL

Also there is the new Improved PC model.....

Old 02-06-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ALBPM
Also there is the new Improved PC model.....
So THAT'S what he looks like without the hat!
Old 02-06-2004, 08:32 PM

VatoLoco-

It took me a long time before I moved to a Random Orbit Polisher. Like you I read $%+ loads of material, asked mad questions and talked to a few detailers. Wasskily is right about the Rotary making polka dots outta your paint-job. I have lotsa hours on my PC but it will be a long time before I move on to a Rotary. for one thing, I haven't really come across a job that the PC wouldn't take care of. With the right pad choice and compound, you can get stunning results. Here is my advice.

The best deal on a PC anywhere is on the Coastal Tools Website. You can probably find the 7424 for the same price at Lowes or something but it won't include the kit which includes a velcro backing pad and a counter weight. The reason for the diff weight is that people have found that with the alternate wt. , there is much less vibration wjhich help when you are using the PC for hours on end.

Next your are going to want to find some pads to use. CMA (Proper Auto Care) sells Lake Country Pads CMA (Proper Auto Care) sells Lake Country Pads under their house name and these are as good as it gets. Meg's are okay but pricey and don't last as long IMO. When I work the paaint on an SUV r my Runner I use one yellow and one white. You can wash them and spin them dry o your PC in a matter of minutes.

Griot's, Zaino, Meguiars, etc. I have never bought into the idea that one brand has the best of everything. I have two double milk crates full of paint products and yes, Meguiars takes up most of the space but it won't handle verything. Klasse, S100, Blackfire, Clearkote, Collinite, and Meg's are on my paint right now and they all accomplished different things. Filled, covered, hid scratches, added depth, gloss, took away marring, yadayadayada. Take the time to learn the products you buy. Get your moneys worth. Enjoy the detail.

CMA is having a free shipping promo on there website. You might wanna take advantage as the owner (forgot name) is really knowledgable and has no problem answering questions.

Another really nice product that is worth its weight in gold are Microfibers. You can oick some up at Costco right now for ChEaP and use them until the knap goes away. Ranney Pakshak also makes a great product. He;s cool as hell.

Kinda spouted off, I know. I really enjoy this stuff and the more people know the betta. good luck and if you gots any question, hit me up.

-Stu.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:03 AM

hungrystu is right. microfiber towels are the way to go.

Most people don't realize that what you dry your rig with is one of the main culprits of microswirls and hazing on a finish. i swear by ranney's pakshak towels -- and he's one helluva nice guy too!

People interested in learning more than they ever wanted to know about detailing should lurk around www.autopia.org. I haven't been the same since.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by phoenix808
lurk around www.autopia.org. I haven't been the same since.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

I picked up a pack of microfiber towels for $9 the other day at COSTCO. It came with 15. They are awesome!

The backing plate is very important, just like the speed adjustment. The PC backing plate dissapates heat better then a standard crap model polisher.

I am kind of a hypocrite because I use a $30 craftsman with a modified backing plate (has holes in it from my drill press). I have never had a problem, and I have 8 years machine polishing experience...so I know what I am looking for, and I know what damage is. Choose wisely!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Banned

HYPOCRITE!

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I am kind of a hypocrite...
Dang, I just can't seem to get away from all you hypocrites! You are everywhere! At church, at the grocery store, at work and even on Yotatech! Noooooooooooooooo!

Old 02-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Re: HYPOCRITE!

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
At church, at the Blue Oyster Night Club,
Sorry to hear the "bar" isn't going so well for you...
Old 02-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vato Loco, I was a doubter, then picked up a 6" P-C at Lowes on sale for $80 a couple months ago. I finally got around to using it on a five year old car with a roughly cared for finish. By the time I was done using Griot's #3 Polish (mildest) topped off with their BOS Wax, it shined better than my new Toyota with hand applied P21S Polish and Carnauba Wax. I honestly couldn't believe the difference. The P-C does a far better job than I've ever done by hand, even compared with a new finish.

It temporarily aggravated an old tennis elbow injury, but that was partly due to my inexperience with the polish and wax. I applied too much of both and had to buff longer than necessary. And that was with matched counterweight and pads like hungryStu mentioned.

Hey Costco guys, how do theirs microfiber towels compare with those described here? I'm still using 100% cotton towels from Bed, Bath & Beyond ($2), but when they wear out I'll switch.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by BT17R
Hey Costco guys, how do theirs microfiber towels compare with those described here? I'm still using 100% cotton towels from Bed, Bath & Beyond ($2), but when they wear out I'll switch.
You know, I picked up two packs a couple of weeks ago. I think they are really nice. . . for the money. They have been good through two washes and I have been using them on my paint with good results. They don't absorb too much water so they aren't too effctive at cleaning up what my Waffle weave leaves behind but buffin gout wax or polish is fine. When they begin to loose their knap I will retire them to my windows, door jams, for polishing my plastic. I tore out all the tags and they are fraying a bit. All that said, aren't they like 12 for $8?! Thats cheap. Well worth it. All IMO.