Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Giving the 3.4L a bath...any warnings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giving the 3.4L a bath...any warnings?

Before i dive in and start taking my engine apart for the install of everything listed in my sig....i want to clean the engine up a leaky oil filter really gucked out the bottom of the truck...

I have some heavy duty engine cleaner but im scared outta my mind to use it as i dont know what to cover up....

Anyway what things are the most important to cover up....liek what kind of electrical connectors....by that im thinking everything electrical...now thats a pain...:beaver:

My toyota dealership does engine shampooings for a price...(maybe i can get a good deal as the last item i went there the cust service kid backed into my truck leaving a tiny mark that i really didnt mind)...they felt bad about it so lets see how far i can take it.

Anyway any healp would be appreciated...thanks
Old 07-06-2003, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

If I were you, I would pay the dealership to do the cleaning. I've heard of too many people who try to clean their motors and then for some reason it won't start. That's a bad boat to be in all because you want your motor clean.

If you do decide to do it, I would definitely cover everything electrical. This is going to include all connectors, distributor (if you have one), and the alternator.

I think you would probably be ok using the engine cleaner on the bottom of the engine to get that oil off. Just don't spray any connectors.

I hope this was some help.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:42 AM

I run my engine, spray engine degreaser all over, except the air filter, plug areas and other misc. electrical areas. Then I just run a stream of water from the hose. I don`t shoot it at all just let it flow slowly to remove left over gunk. It doesn`t do the best job but enough for me. I also heard of steam cleaning but have no idea how that is done, maybe that is what the dealers do.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:45 AM

yea ill call up the dealer and see how much they want for it...i know there is a package deal that has to do with seasons or osmething but i just want engine clean...i can wash my own truck thank you very much =]

thanks guys
Old 07-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

Try a search of degreasing/cleaning engines.
I asked that question a little while ago and got a lot of really good answers.

I haven't done it yet though... still scared at the prospect of not having a working truck
Old 07-07-2003, 03:22 AM

Its really pretty easy and painless. I try to do mine about once a month. Get yourself some foaming engine degreaser and let you engine warm up for like 5 minutes. Shut it off then spray it down with the degreaser. Don't worry to much about what you spray everything is sealed pretty well and there is no distributer to worry about. Let it sit on there for a few minutes and it will be steaming pretty good if its warm enough. Then just take the garden hose and give it a good spray down. I've never had a problem doing it like this especially with a vehicle without a distributer.

Good luck
Old 07-07-2003, 05:15 AM

Toyota parts in the engine bay are sealed very good. Most parts/connectors are o-ring sealed. I spray EVERYTHING with foaming degreaser, let sit then spray off. I have also done this at car washes with the high pressure nozzle. I regularly do this to my 3.0 and my wifes 3.4 and have never had a problem. This can't be done to Ford, Dodge, etc though. Those are the ones they talk about on engine degreaser cans that everything has to be sealed with plastic or foil.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:32 AM

ok now my confidence is building up....sofar i got airfilter and battery....maybe some alarm connections that are unprotected and my gauge senders....ive reaad taht if it doesnt start want a little longer and try....and look at fuses apperntly they blow if something shorts...(obveously) but then again ill prob remove bat
Old 07-07-2003, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Be careful not to get the degreaser runoff into your grass, yard or other living area. I like the idea of the stealer doing the engine wash, they break it, they fix it. Also, I have heard of degreaser leaching through the seals of the engine to ruin the 'good' fluids inside the engine.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:42 AM

now i wonder if toyota would reallly fix it if they break it....they will prob just blame it on me and my mods or something....a$s monkeys...=]
anyway im ognna give them a call....
Old 07-07-2003, 08:22 AM

I've been sitting with this can of degreaser for a couple weeks now too. Keep us posted on the price the dealer will charge. Is there somewhere else we can get this done... I'm not really in the mood to "dispose" of the chemicals properly. How am i supposed to stop the stuff from running and then evaporate it?
Old 07-07-2003, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Cleaning your engine

1. Go to a DIY car wash, leave the engine running
2. Spray on their degreaser
3. High pressure rinse it off (try and find a heated rinse if you can)

I have done this at least 10 times on the 3.4, and it works great. Naturally avoid hosing out the airbox and fuse areas. That's it, your done.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:19 AM

I also use the degreaser at the car wash, works great...never had any probs as far as stalling or starting afterwards.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

I just cover the distr. with a plastic bag from Publix. I've always used the engine cleaner stuff in a can all over, and a 1" round brush to scrub off the thick stuff.

I recommend starting with washing the underside of the hood, then the engine, and rinse the hood, then engine. When I'm done, I fire up my gas leaf blower, and blow all the water out, done.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 95_4X4Runner
When I'm done, I fire up my gas leaf blower, and blow all the water out, done.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just cover the alternator and belts with grocery bags. I've been using Simple Green for a long time now and it works well. Also I just let the water run off the hose without any nozzle. I do this once a month and so far my rig starts up every time. Just make sure you start it right away to get rid of the water trapped in the crevices. Hope this helps.

george
Old 07-07-2003, 10:01 PM

awsome im gonna try it this weekend what the hell =] dealer said 80 bucks...
Old 07-07-2003, 11:19 PM

I've also had a can of Gunk engine bright sitting around here for awhile, I think I'll try it at the next washing.
Only thing is, I noticed in the directions it says to have the engine OFF AND COOL, is this just this type of cleaner? I don't know how I'll have a cool engine after driving to carwash though.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:38 PM

yea thats the same type i got (gunk)...i think it means not a hot engine as its flammible...or maybeit does depend on engine...im gonna do mine when its abit warm to heat up all the crap on engine (not hot enought to burnt hough =]...
Old 07-08-2003, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Four words ...

Dielectric Grease … Simple Green

That is it ... There should be absolutely no worry about washing your engine. The engines in my cars look showroom new and I wash them all the time. However, do not use a high-pressure hose if you can help it. Also, try to use an air compressor to dry it off and then start the engine ASAP.

BTW, the Dielectric Grease is for all electrical connectors. Use it sparingly.

Quick Reply: Giving the 3.4L a bath...any warnings?