FREE Toyotas???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FREE Toyotas???

This news article just popped up on my News Page

Man Uses Coupons to Try to Buy Car
PORTSMOUTH, N.H. — A coupon-clipper looking to score a new car got the run-around when he presented a dealer with $41,400 worth of coupons.
Stay-at-home dad Chris Shields of Eliot, Maine, said he was perusing newspaper ads recently when he noticed a $200-off coupon from Toyota of Portsmouth.

Shields said nothing in the ad limited customers to one coupon, so he bought more than 200 Seacoast Newspapers carrying the ad and clipped away.

On Jan. 4, Shields packed up his coupons in a black briefcase and made his way to the dealership in hopes of picking up a silver 2002 Sequoia Limited worth about $42,000. He said he was rebuffed with a suggestion that he get a lawyer.

Dealership owner Jim Boyle said Shields won't be getting the car with coupons.

"The ad ran as it was supposed to run, and there was nothing misleading or deceptive about it," he said. "No reasonable person could possibly expect to piggyback coupons like that and walk away with a new car."

Shields said he has no plans to hire a lawyer but has contacted the state attorney general's consumer protection bureau. So has Boyle, who said he was told Shields' case "has no legs to it at all."

Old 01-15-2003, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Most things like that say how many you can use. I think he should go for it if he could afford the stupid legal fees.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

Man that is a good one, that man must have known that there was no chance in hell that they were going to let him drive way in a new truck, but it certainly was worth a good laugh. I kind of feel bad for the guy now, he must have spent a good amount of money for the papers any ways . Thanks Jabbler for sharing, it was definatley a nice start to my day.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:01 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

Originally posted by UKMyers
Most things like that say how many you can use. I think he should go for it if he could afford the stupid legal fees.
I kind of thought the same thing
Old 01-15-2003, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

At the very least, the delaer wil probably offer him a big discount to avoid the law suit and bad press.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:45 AM

Yeah, I would think that they would do something. Beings as there was no limit on the coupon, he is legally allowed to do it. I would get an attorney and see what would come out of it! :fireman:
Old 01-15-2003, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Personally I think that is sick... so maybe he isn't trying to get a FREE buck (he did pay for all the papers) but I mean seriously... only in America would someone actually try to get away with that. Its sad how people just sue and then get (depending on the case) a few bucks under the table for what... nothing... I guess something like this that sort-a pissed me off was a lawsuit with Audi in the early 90s that gave them a bad wrap (well, that and their horrible reliability til 96) was that they had a problem with cars suddenly lurching forward while still in the garage. A few people sued and said it was because the brake pedal was too small!!? are you kidding me? Someone gets paid however much money because they are not coordinated enough to push the right pedal?? oh well... I just think its sad we live in a country where everyone (well, enough) will just sue people b/c they can get a free buck. I don't mind it AS much when its against big corps, but I still don't think its right. You have to be careful even helping people out these days... crazy...
Old 01-15-2003, 10:03 AM

reminds me of the guy collecting millions of Pepsi points to get the supposedly unattainable somewhat sarcastic harrier jet prize.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, but the pepsi thing was a little different, that was aired on national TV, even Hawaii got that commercial (i'm still trying to figure out why we keep getting the oliver garden commercial when we don't have any here) and it didn't say anything about it not actually being a redemption prize anywhere in that commercial, that's why whoever is overlooking the ads or tc commercials should better look into stuff, because people will do crazy things when things are left open like that. Does anybody remember what happened to the pepsi lawsuit?