Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: FIPK or cut out my airbox?
K&N FIPK
29.20%
Cut out the airbox
70.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

FIPK or cut out my airbox?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was gonna buy the FIPK, but changed my mind (truth is I'm broke now from mod madness).

So after the K&N drop in and ISR mod I wanted to cut up that air box. Took it all out and then thought: "Heck, more dust means I gotta clean this filter more often. Water might get in and really screw things up. Plus, the intake will be taking in hot air from the engine bay and not cool air (cold air induction - CAI) like I want it to. For what? 1-2 horses more? Aaaah, wasn't worth the pain."

Soooo... In the end, I just put it all back together and slept better at night.

Oh, I found the cheapest place so far to buy filters are from Crutchfield. Funny, huh?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3xW4hJj...00&I=513E26051
Old 08-22-2005, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tried the hole mods first with minor improvements, installed FIPK $185 shipped/ebay. sounds cool, 9.6HP-maybe, no dyno (k&n gauruntees it). much quicker, improved 1-2 mpg at full throttle, ~7 going 65 on a full tank. the CA emission sticker came w/ the FIPK, no need to remove and it never rains in so.cal. water from the creeks doesn't seem to wet filter. been on for 3k mi and no loose hardware or stress cracks. i'll keep a eye open for the dust issues.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:09 AM
Contributing Member

what is ISR?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:27 AM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Intake Silencer Removal mod
Old 09-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

which does more for the 3.0, performance-wise: ISR mod or drilled airbox?
Old 09-10-2005, 06:28 PM

I think the ISR does more since your letting the air coming into ur enginetravel faster. But you'll need some air to make that ISR work correctly, thats where the drilled air-box comes in. But overall, i vote ISR; if the intake shroud at the right headlight is removed.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

good to know, thanks fo_runner.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:54 PM

I just put an FIPK Gen II on my Taco, I love it. Saved some gas and it sounds like a monster shop vac under the hood when Im passin someone. It turns heads thats for sure and it looks cool as hell under that hood. If anyone wants an air box assy I have one up for grabs on ebay. No reserve. Its for the 3.4L out of an '01 Tacoma. Absolute power increase.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMESE%3AIT

Last edited by AZBlackTacoma; 10-12-2005 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:00 AM
Banned for stupidity

intereatsed in IRS mod...read post # 81...come on pepole...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...643#post853643
Old 03-27-2006, 06:45 PM

Take if from me. Before I found this site I went ahead and bought the K&N kit. I am very disappointed in what it has to offer. First off, it sounds like I'm driving a suped up Honda Civic. Second, it makes this hissing sound from the air comming in from the open hole in the fender. Lastly, it doesnt feel like I'm actually getting more power or fuel economy from having it. The worst part about it, which I'm really embarrased about is that I threw away the stock air box and components!!!! What was I thinking? So now I have to live with the K&N until I can find one in a junk yard and do it right with the deckplate. Please do not do the K&N. The only plus on having it is that it looks pretty cool when you pop the hood. But, in the end looks dont cut it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:27 PM

Whats the TRUTH about what this does to your original gas milage>?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by blzorro
The truth is that it depends on a lot of things that nobody can give you a straight answer for. A lot of it depends on what the climate is like where you live. Some of it depends on the condition of your engine. I think the only time you'd really notice a performance loss is in a hot/humid climate, and of course, if your engine is already running poorly.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

has anyone had the AEM brute force and liked it as much as the deckplate, isr, and changing the air filter, i have that stuff i just saw an aem and liked its looks, just want to know function
Old 05-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by blzorro
It will make a slight increase because the engine does not have to work as hard. But it is minimal. My 3.slow usually did about 19-20 on the highway and about 15.5 in town but a lot of my trips are short so the engine is running rich. So it could be a little bit better in the city.

EDIT: Wow I can't believe that I started a thread that made it to four pages. I feel like I did something important.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

I installed the K&N FIPK system, thinking that it would reduce the amount of dirt entering my engine.... was I ever wrong! ....it allowed more than a stock paper air filter. Most of my daily driving is offroad in a very dusty environment and I need a system that can handle it without needing to replace or clean my filter weekly.....

On a stock engine the K&N system does nothing for performance, Gadget has proven it on his website with results during dyno testing. doing the elbow or deckplate mod gives the best increase in performance. The problem with the elbow mod is you increase the risk of hydrolocking your engine if you drive through water puddles, same with the K&N system. The stock airbox gives you the best protection, adding a $10 threaded cap to allow the box to breath during the dry weather and is a cheap, yet simple to install solution. I went one step further, removing the restrictive stock elbow, installed a 3" internal snorkel system, now my system is 99% water proof with the deckplate in and no loss in performance.

As for air filters.... K&N is the worst for dust control, stock paper is better, Amsoil is even better, but TrueFlow is the best to date..... This is my opinion after extensive testing with all of the above mentioned products. The K&N never plugged up, it simply let the dirt pass though and is NOT a good choice for vehicles that see offroad usage, once the stock paper filter plugs, it lets dirt the pass by. Now there is a major difference between the Amsoil and TrueFlow that isn't easily noticable, but I recently learned about. They both use two different densities of foam to trap the dirt. The portion that does 99% of the work is the larger open cell outer layer and then the finer particles get trapped in the second layer. They both do a great job at stopping dirt from entering the intake and if not cleaned will eventually plug to the point where it effects the engines performance and possibly having a check engine light come on. I know, I did this with my Amsoil, had to pull over and knock out some of the dirt, after my check engine light came on..... I wanted to see just how long I could go before it needed cleaning.

Now the test results for the TrueFlow....... I have been running the same filter since installing it back in October of last year and have put many dusty trips in it, most cases I played tailgun on our offroading runs, which everone knows you eat the most dust. When I went to Death Valley, my filter was already quite filthy, but it never once gave me a problem, in fact one of the guys took out his TrueFlow and put a stock paper filter in thinking it would work better, just to have his MAF sensor get plugged, fortunately he had his TrueFlow filter and switched them out, then cleaned the MAF, no problems since. Last month I finally got around to getting a spare TrueFlow filter and removed the one I used for testing.
At Northridge Toyota, they had a auto show a few weekends ago, the TrueFlow rep had a booth set-up, he was amazed just how much dirt was trapped in the filter.... I never did get around to weighing it, but you could feel the difference between it and a new one..... My test was to see just how long it would take me to plug the filter where the check engine light comes on, similar to the Amsoil filter or performance was affected.... neither happened, but the filter looked quite dirty, so it was time to end the testing.

What are the major differences and the reason the TrueFlow didn't stop flowing is in the thickness of the first layer of foam that traps the dirt, it's much thicker(the TrueFlow rep pointed this out to me), making the second layer thinner, hard to see, since it's in a nice housing unlike the Amsoil. There is a thread in product review that shows a few pictures comparing the two. BTW I went twice as long as I did with the Amsoil, when it fully plugged up.... As for the inside of the airbox and filter there was no noticable dirt, in fact the inside of the filter looked like it did when I first installed it, totally clean.......

My original filter went back with the TrueFlow rep, he wanted to show others, and he said he'd send me a replacement..... until a better product enters the market, this one is at the top of my list....

Last edited by BruceTS; 07-04-2006 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:02 PM

throw a snorkel on it before you fipk it...
Old 07-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Wow this thread is still going...
Old 07-06-2006, 02:11 PM

100% agree with BruceTS. After reading the article on bobistheoilguy.com (and a re-affirmation by BruceTS), I will never buy another K&N filter. I had one on all of my previous cars, but now will stick to good ol' OEM paper filters. I will give that TrueFlow filter a try, though.

Those of you looking to get more power from just switching out the intake will either be disappointed or tricked into thinking more sound = more power.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by p nut
Those of you looking to get more power from just switching out the intake will either be disappointed or tricked into thinking more sound = more power.
It worked when I cut out my airbox. How could I tell? Well because the 3.slow is so underpowered, it easy to notice a slight increase in power.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned

Im about to do some major testing.. I got a fipk from somebody and Im going to switch it out with my modded airbox and ISR to see the differences and times like 0-60 60-85. and so on quarter mile, 8th mile.. I dont care about hp results right now.

I have a drop in k&n but this thing is letting in more dust then a sheet of paper would.

Quick Reply: FIPK or cut out my airbox?