Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Finally got charged, supercharged that is!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
I'm curious, what are you thinking of when you say "custom tuned"?

Even with the piggyback, there's not a ton that can be done anywhere except WOT. There's a new FTC that will fake the ECU into thinking that you're in open loop all the time, thus allowing tuning in cruise, but the resolution of these piggybacks isn't really fine enough to tweak the engines to an inch of their lives (you get within about a foot )

That said, I know I have more power running the SMT than without. A lot of that comes from being able to _advance_ the timing down low, and actually adding some advance in up top during WOT. But this kind of work isn't really "custom", it's pretty straight forward (though can be time consuming at first).
If I were to supercharge or turbocharge or even add N2o to any of my vehicles that were n/a from factory, Id have them dyno tuned so I wouldnt run lean.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudfreak
If I were to supercharge or turbocharge or even add N2o to any of my vehicles that were n/a from factory, Id have them dyno tuned so I wouldnt run lean.
Gadget has invested so much R&D into this I'd just take his advice and get his whole kit.

http://www.urdusa.com/Merchant2/merc...Store_Code=URD

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm
Old 06-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol... and now i'm officially UN-charged. mine came off today. only took an hour-twenty to take it off and put the old stuff back on. there really isn't THAT much difference w/ the 4.56's on the 305's compared to the SC'd 4.10's on them. I can tell in the higher RPMs that there's some minor torque loss and the sound is pretty quiet compared to the SC, but other than that, i really don't think i'll miss it all that much...

congrats on getting yours installed. now you'll need to get a $900 URD kit, a $500 valve body upgrade, then you'll want to regear anyway after the "newness" wears off... until then...
Old 06-06-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
lol... and now i'm officially UN-charged. mine came off today. only took an hour-twenty to take it off and put the old stuff back on. there really isn't THAT much difference w/ the 4.56's on the 305's compared to the SC'd 4.10's on them. I can tell in the higher RPMs that there's some minor torque loss and the sound is pretty quiet compared to the SC, but other than that, i really don't think i'll miss it all that much...

congrats on getting yours installed. now you'll need to get a $900 URD kit, a $500 valve body upgrade, then you'll want to regear anyway after the "newness" wears off... until then...

you dont need a vb upgrade on a 5psd right? i could be wrong.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kevin444
you dont need a vb upgrade on a 5psd right? i could be wrong.
No, just a better clutch if you like to launch hard (which I don't).

I have most of the URD kit anyway. Well, sort of. As soon as I get a piggy-back device I will have everything but the injectors. And, according to Mark - who I trust with this stuff - the ping can be tuned out on the stock injectors (and they won't be running at a maxed out duty cycle).

It really doesn't ping much. Only on quick throttle openings at low R's. The power delivery is very smooth and it just keeps pulling up on top (where Andy mentioned his dies off). Before I had the SC'r my power would really die after 4500. Now it just flies past that point.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
No, just a better clutch if you like to launch hard (which I don't).

I have most of the URD kit anyway. Well, sort of. As soon as I get a piggy-back device I will have everything but the injectors. And, according to Mark - who I trust with this stuff - the ping can be tuned out on the stock injectors (and they won't be running at a maxed out duty cycle).

It really doesn't ping much. Only on quick throttle openings at low R's. The power delivery is very smooth and it just keeps pulling up on top (where Andy mentioned his dies off). Before I had the SC'r my power would really die after 4500. Now it just flies past that point.

Does Centerforce make clutches for Yota's? I know those are the best choice for Mustangs.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Probably. I am really hoping I don't have to worry about that for a while as I dropped $750 20K miles ago on a fried clutch from the previous owner.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:pat: oh yeah, you have a 5 speed...
Old 06-06-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudfreak
Ahhh... okay.

Well, I have first hand experience that "dyno tuning" and "getting rid of a lean condition" don't necesarily work well together.

The A/FR numbers I got from the dyno sniffer stick were _crap_. The issue is that they're sniffing post cat, which will throw off your numbers, no matter what "adjustment factor" is being applied post sniff.

There are three(ish) valid ways to tune for a no-lean state:
  1. Run an EGT gauge, it's a good (and inexpensive) indicator of lean
  2. Run a wide-band O2 sensor pre-cat. This is a pretty expensive solution and frankly, I'm sorry I spent the money on it.
  3. Run a A/FR meter on your _stock_ O2 sensor and keep an eye on it during WOT. This is valid to do 'cause with a _stock_ S/C setup then the ECU can compensate for the lower RPM leanout given that you put enough fuel pressure on the rails. (i.e., install a Walbro 190 fuel pump)
I'm currently running an EGT gauge, an A/FR meter on my stock O2 and a wideband O2. I can tune at WOT off of the EGT just as well as the wideband O2. That's a cost difference of about $300.

For tuning at cruise, if your truck is a 1996 or later, then a decent OBD II reader is all you really need.

Last edited by midiwall; 06-06-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:26 PM

that is sweet! i was stoked when my old 02 was s/c'd (dissapointed tho in the performance........) got a video of the spedo or anything? does it look quicker than these? bone stock 05 XR here you go #1 here you go! #2

edit........the 0-60 wasnt really 0-60, it was a measurement of the 5-60, so dont laugh at my tard of a takeoff

Last edited by jon_lozon; 06-07-2005 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Cool vids! You know, I have no idea if I am even close to that. The main reason I put this thing on was so I could pass and merge with little effort. My plans are to go really easy on launches as I really don't feel like replacing the clutch right now.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:39 AM

I shot one on the way home last night...

This is from a 20mph roll on an entrance ramp... listen to that tranny slip!

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/pics...609_OnRamp.avi
(2.5meg AVI - right click/save is your best bet)
Old 06-10-2005, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Nice vid Mark! That 2nd gear slip made me cringe!

I got my SMT6 in the mail yesterday...now I am gonna have to hunt for a wiring diagram so I know what the heck I am tapping into! Should I post a thread?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:15 AM

Wow! 30-80mph in 13 seconds! You speed deamons
Old 06-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
Hey Mr. Critical, you spelled "deamons" wrong.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
The main reason I put this thing on was so I could pass and merge with little effort.
I'll buy that...........

........NOT!!!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I'll buy that...........

........NOT!!!!!
I said "main" reason, not the only reason!
Old 06-10-2005, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
I know! I have to wipe the sweat from my brow all the time!

But I'm happy given that it's pushing 5000 lbs (and with a slipping tranny to boot). It's a lot better than stock!

Christian... lemme find that wiring diagram for you. Thread wise, maybe drop info into this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/perfect-power-smt-piggyback-controller-56220/
Old 06-10-2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by midiwall
I shot one on the way home last night...

This is from a 20mph roll on an entrance ramp... listen to that tranny slip!

http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/pics...609_OnRamp.avi
(2.5meg AVI - right click/save is your best bet)

i think i got you beat
Old 06-10-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by jon_lozon
i think i got you beat
Oh, I don't doubt that... what are the specs under your hood?

Quick Reply: Finally got charged, supercharged that is!