Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Finally allowed to post - need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally allowed to post - need some help

Hello all. Being that this is my first post, try not to get too mad at me.
I am looking for someone in the NYC area that has the URD kit. I want to know if they installed the kit themselves or had a shop do it. I want to do it myself but 1. I am not blessed with a place where I can spread it out over a weekend, I have to do it out on the street 2 I really can't legally mess with the fuel parts in my town (can't change the oil either) Only things I can do are the thermostat and plugs and the FTC. 3. I am afraid I will mess something up. Especially messing with the FTC. I am in New Jersey about 10 mins from NYC and would be willing to travel a little bit to a shop that won't rip me off. I took it to local shops and they did not make me feel one bit confident. (the FTC part throws them as well)
I have an 02 4-Runner Limited - so far I have
TRD headers & exhaust
TRD S/C
TRD trans cooler (very good deal on it)
Old 06-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Can anyone answer this?

I had my TRD headers put on about 6 mons ago. (under warranty by the dealer) I never saw stainless rust before, but the passenger side is beginning to rust quite badly. What should I do? Take it back to the dealer who took 2 weeks installing them because of the so-called mechanics had a hard time and wizards in the parts dept, who order the wrong stuff?
Just a note: the headers are worse than the non-stainless tip on the TRD exhaust

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 06-07-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stainless will rust. They discovered this phenomena in nuclear reactors. Makes you feel real safe. It usually rusts where some stress has been applied...like a hammer blow. Sure, take it back to the dealer...feign ignorance and tell them the whole reason you got stainless was because you didn't want to mess with the rust issue. Let us know what happens.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
Stainless will rust. They discovered this phenomena in nuclear reactors. Makes you feel real safe. It usually rusts where some stress has been applied...like a hammer blow. Sure, take it back to the dealer...feign ignorance and tell them the whole reason you got stainless was because you didn't want to mess with the rust issue. Let us know what happens.

Will do. Thank you.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

I can't believe it took a dealer 2 weeks to install headers. It took me 8 hours, and 2 of those hours was trying to salvage my crossover pipe. I ended up sawwing it off like everyone said to do in the first place.

Anyway, I bet they were bumpin and scrapin the headers trying to get them in there. The drivers side is a real bugger. It's worth a shot, tell them you aren't happy. I am guessing you paid around $1000 for the headers, so you have a valid reason to be mad.