Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Face it guys, the 2003 Runner is......

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHA

I would like to know if he has taken it off road yet!!

BWAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA
Old 06-24-2005, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cebby
FYI - not sure if you knew. Whitey, who started this thread, DID end up getting an H2. That's why he' not around anymore.
I hope he's enjoying the current price of gas! Considering they get about 12MPG, that's gotta be setting him back a cool $50/tank.

Steve
Old 06-24-2005, 08:07 AM

You thanks thats bad look at the screwed up wheel well openings on the new tacoma!Looks like thay stole it from the chevy colorado.That will take your mind off the 4 runner.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:09 AM
lee
Contributing Member

the 4th gen has grown on me a lot, particularly thanks to tracy and lance's runners.

i used to think it was bulky and mall-rated looking... but i really like the '05s a lot.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by rugerm44
You thanks thats bad look at the screwed up wheel well openings on the new tacoma!Looks like thay stole it from the chevy colorado.That will take your mind off the 4 runner.
I dont look at them while I am driving! Honestly I dont like how they look either. BUT I do like the larger cab on my Regular cab, and the VVTi 2.7 motor.

After Saturday liking or not liking the stock wheel wells will not matter. TTR is having a WAT to lift my truck,and put 33x10.5 BFG M/Ts on my truck. No body lift, so the fenders will get the cutting tools.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

My $0.02....

1st gen: Tough ass trail rig no mater where you go and very basic for easy work on it.

2nd gen: Added luxury from the 1st gen, better on road handleing, not quite the rock crawler of the 1st gen, but deffinately off-roads like a champ.

3rd gen: They geared this one fro the soccor mom. Not as great off-road and too loaded on the inside (3rd row seat and such) to be called a "utility" vehicle.

4th gen: Finally got back to getting it off road but you better have moeny to make it worthy of doing so. Many new complicated things to break, but more solid and more worthy then the 3rd.

All and all the best trail rig remains to be the 1st. The best trail/dd rig remains the second. The best for adding flare is up to the 3rd and 4th generations to battle over, but at least the 4th returned to the off road aspect of things.

(protective flame suit now on)
Old 06-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Whitey
Like I said about a month ago..... I would much rather own the 2003 Hummer H2, instead of the 2003 4Runner. I would feel much more at ease taking the H2 off road than the '03 Runner. The '03 runner just looks too much like a Lexus RX300 SUV. The H2 looks sweet and bad enough to go to the Opera in, and then the next day head to the wildnerness.

Some day, I'm gonna get me an H2

Whitey

Whoa, there partner!

Are you saying you think the H2 could really out-wheel a 4th Gen 4Runner??? Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not being sarcastic, rude, or insulting. I'm just asking a question. I am chuckling a little bit, but that is just because you and I have a difference of opinion. I just don't think the H2 could out-wheel a 4th Gen 4Runner. They are just too darn big for their running gear. I'd think the H2 would break before the 4Runner.

What does everyone else think? Be nice, this isn't supposed to start a flame war!

-Sherpa
Old 06-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

don't go bonkers on this thread guys/gals.... this thread is super OLD!
Old 06-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TRunner
My $0.02....

1st gen: Tough ass trail rig no mater where you go and very basic for easy work on it.

2nd gen: Added luxury from the 1st gen, better on road handleing, not quite the rock crawler of the 1st gen, but deffinately off-roads like a champ.

3rd gen: They geared this one fro the soccor mom. Not as great off-road and too loaded on the inside (3rd row seat and such) to be called a "utility" vehicle.

4th gen: Finally got back to getting it off road but you better have moeny to make it worthy of doing so. Many new complicated things to break, but more solid and more worthy then the 3rd.

All and all the best trail rig remains to be the 1st. The best trail/dd rig remains the second. The best for adding flare is up to the 3rd and 4th generations to battle over, but at least the 4th returned to the off road aspect of things.

(protective flame suit now on)

Ted,

I have to disagree on a couple of your comments and correct you on some of your facts. Facts first: The 3rd Gen never offered a 3rd row of seats, in fact, the first and maybe even second year of the 4th Gen didn't have 3rd row seats either, although it is now available.

Personally, I think the 3rd Gen is significantly better than the 2nd Gen. Six inches longer for more room and wheelbase, and a significantly more powerful engine, which the 2nd Gen desparately needed. I don't know the stock clearance of a 2nd Gen, but I doubt it was any better than the 3rd's.

-S
Old 06-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times

Okay, I'm done.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mtnbkr
Exactly. Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't buy any SUV new to take offroading. It's just too much money to risk like that. However, I'll take my used (but new to me) 1997 4Runner offroad now. In a few years, when the 2003 is showing up on the used lots for a decent price, I'll take a look at them.

Besides, why spend so much money for a new rig when you can buy a good used one and use the savings to mod it up.

Chris

Thats why I bought my Landcruiser, driving a $60000 luxury suv and it only cost me $7000. I added all the mods that suit my needs and I'm set. In the mean time my wife drives my 2003 4runner.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sherpa
What does everyone else think? Be nice, this isn't supposed to start a flame war!
(pretty thick sarcasm to follow)

My mama always said to judge a book by its cover. So without knowing what I am talking about what so ever and judging performance strictly on my opinion of aesthetics, I would say the H2 is the baddest off roading vehicle ever made. Why the military doesn't use it instead of the Humvee is beyond me...

Here's that tough H2

Last edited by TRunner; 06-24-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Banned

Facts first: The 3rd Gen never offered a 3rd row of seats
Sure about that? I've been in two fully loaded ones that did.

Six inches longer for more room and wheelbase...stock clearance of a 2nd Gen, but I doubt it was any better than the 3rd's.
That, my friend, is what is known as an oxymoron. Longer wheelbase = less usable ground clearance. If you don't believe me, ask a whole bunch of those with stock height 4Runners that have pulled out F350 long beds and the like with 3"+ lifts.

Needless to say, I have seen some trail rigs in my time, and I don't expect to see a 3rd gen outperform a 1st or 2nd gen with similar mods with only the engine being any beefier. But that is just my opinion.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

3rd gens never had 3rd row seats unless they did in Canada maybe?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey
.....just another suv that has gone the way of EVERY other suv out there. It has all the looks of the other "cookie cutter" suv's that Ford, GM, Nissan, Lexus, etc, have done to their flagship models. Perhaps they should rename them as of NOW to -- SV's. Sport Vehicle. Utility has gone by the wayside in my opinion. Or better yet, maybe they should rename them -- DUV's - Daily Urban Vehicles. For me, I think I'll go as high as a 2001 Runner for ownership. That is until I reach the age of 55. Then I might think about the plush "new" Runner. I'm out!

Whitey

Enjoy your next RAV4.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Biff
Thats why I bought my Landcruiser, driving a $60000 luxury suv and it only cost me $7000. I added all the mods that suit my needs and I'm set. In the mean time my wife drives my 2003 4runner.
hmmm, could the fact the 4Runner is 2wd also be a factor?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Good Times
i don't think anyone is going bonkers. just discussing how perceptions have changed.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:24 PM
lee
Contributing Member

my views?

just read trunner's info on everything except the 3rd gen. i could not possibly disagree with him more (and ive never once heard a 3rd row of seats in the 3rd gen).

i dont think the 4th gen was a return to offroading at all. but its a great starter truck, like any yota truck before it.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=TRunner]That, my friend, is what is known as an oxymoron. Longer wheelbase = less usable ground clearance. If you don't believe me, ask a whole bunch of those with stock height 4Runners that have pulled out F350 long beds and the like with 3"+ lifts.[\QUOTE]

wouldnt mind seeing a Runner pull out a F350. if i had a picture like that i would hang it in my office.

around here its been the other way around. maybe they're the 2wd that are getting stuck in the oil fields.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by TRunner
My $0.02....

Do 2nd gens come with factory locker?

Quick Reply: Face it guys, the 2003 Runner is......