Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

this is an evil site!!!! spacer ? guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is an evil site!!!! spacer ? guys

Hi Im Big Kahuna and Im a Yotaholic...

Since signing up on this site I have spent over $1000 on nick nacks, this is almost as bad as Ebay. :cry: Im going broke....

Well enought about the whining. Anyways there is so much info here that it was well worth it the time spent. so Thanks to everyone on my yota-enlightenment....

Got a question. Is there anyone running 15x10 rims and how big of a tire can I put on it with a 2 1/4in daystar spacer in the rear on a 90 runner?

Also how high can I crank the stock tortion bars and if there is any other adjustments needed.. I read Roger Brown's info (much respect to da man) and would like additional opinions on actual 2nd gen vehicles.

some one said Id blow a CV or ride like poop, any suggestions or does anyone want to sell any used parts to help fullfill a vision

thank Big Kahuna
Old 11-24-2003, 01:24 PM

From what i've heard, cranking the T-bars over 2" is pushing it. You could just replace them with a larger diameter bar...plenty on the market to choose from. Plus cranking them a lot adds stress and stiffens ride height. If you only plan on cranking them up to gain 1", I'd say go for it.

As far as what would fit under the rear with a 2.5" Daystar Spacer on your 15x10's, I'd go with a 33x12.5. You are going to need probably atleast 2" of lift in the front to fit the 33's.

Billy
Old 11-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Dont crank em if you can help it, I did it on my old Blazer and it rode like sh#t, plus it wears on your front end if you do it too much. A mild 1" would be ok, but other than that anything else is not a wise decision if you ask me. I'd go w/ a body lift first...

Last edited by kraegelb; 11-24-2003 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well if you have read and understand all of Roger Brown's info you already know more than I could possibly tell you with years of typing. But I will try.

As far as the t-bar crank you can get by with a lot more cranking if you switch to manual locking hubs. Or have you done that already? I like to run with my t-bars cranked to where the diff side of the cv is maybe 1 to 1.5 inches higher than the wheel side of the cv. If over time it shags to where the cv is about level to the ground I crank it up some more.

I am running 33x12.50s on a 15x10 rim.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

i don't know how far you can crank your t-bars safely, but there are lots of informative write-ups here that will give you deets.

get a set of aisin hubs (or other type of manual lock) and you won't stress the cv joints by cranking your t-bars.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

just make sure you dont crank higher than 15 inches from fender to the outter rim of your ..well, rim. (read that on 4x4wire somewhere) or else your ride quality/performance will suffer. also, as far as just a daystar spacer and a t bar crank, you may be able to get away with 33s with some fender trimming. but, i dunno. i would just go with a 32 in my opinion if thats the only thing you would be doing. also, if you crank the torsion bars, be sure to get the front end re aligned. hopefully this helps. and hopefully..this is correct.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

I rub sometimes going down steep trails and turning with my 33's and I have a 4" lift.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:36 PM

Re: evil

Didn't you read the terms of use of this forum, you must be either extremely well off or need additional jobs to be a member.

Ps-- Where can I get a Big Kahuna burger...?

Last edited by Billrunner; 11-24-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:20 PM

Tanks Guys

I see problems in my future with $, technical issue, and the short 5'00 girlfriend (thats five foot tall girlfriend all not 500lb JK)

Bill runner try 2 quarter pounder patties and a pineapple ring in da middle topped with tons of lettuce, tomatos and I like a honey bbq Sauce on it and seasame seed bun... AHHh grilled to perfection..... to the rest of the guys I wouldnt try the burger it may cause a heart attack for those of youse without years of grease eating training. None the less, its a great vegetarian burger (You know you are what you eat and cows are vegetarians.)

I'm thinking the daystar 2.5 rear spacer will actually give me a 1.5 in lift, as the back is sagging slightly and with a stock tortion bar w/ twist 1.5 in, Im hopeing to clear the 33x12.5s and still maintain daily driveability.

question: I know I can get more height with a 25mm tortion bar but I also heard that the ride will be teeth chattering. Would it be softer if I stick with the stock ones for now and will they hold up?

Thanks Big K
Old 11-24-2003, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Tanks Guys

Originally posted by bigKahuna
question: I know I can get more height with a 25mm tortion bar but I also heard that the ride will be teeth chattering. Would it be softer if I stick with the stock ones for now and will they hold up?
Yes, the ride will be softer with the stock tbars. The spring rate goes up exponentially with an increase in radius of the tbars. So, with that little increase in diameter the spring rate is much stiffer than stock. The only reason anybody needs a thicker tbar is because they are routinely jumping the truck or have a heavy bumper and winch. Even with a bumper and winch, I'm thinking thicker tbars aren't really needed. Flygenstein would know more about that.

If you're going to raise the front 1.5 inches you're going to need to switch to manual hubs, otherwise your CV boots will hate you.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 11-24-2003 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:14 PM
CTB

Re: Tanks Guys

I see problems in my future with $, technical issue, and the short 5'00 girlfriend (thats five foot tall girlfriend all not 500lb JK)

Bill runner try 2 quarter pounder patties and a pineapple ring in da middle topped with tons of lettuce, tomatos and I like a honey bbq Sauce on it and seasame seed bun... AHHh grilled to perfection..... to the rest of the guys I wouldnt try the burger it may cause a heart attack for those of youse without years of grease eating training. None the less, its a great vegetarian burger (You know you are what you eat and cows are vegetarians.)

I'm thinking the daystar 2.5 rear spacer will actually give me a 1.5 in lift, as the back is sagging slightly and with a stock tortion bar w/ twist 1.5 in, Im hopeing to clear the 33x12.5s and still maintain daily driveability.

Thanks Big K
The easy way to clear 33's is a rear coil spring lift...ala Downey, OME, PP. Then, do a 1" body lift and a little front fender trimming/pounding, and you will be good to go.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:42 PM

You should aim for about 14.5 to 14.75" fender to rim. Anymore stresses the steering components and CV joints. Get the manual hubs. 1" of body lift and pounding the body seam will clear 33's with the correct backspaced wheels but I'd say go 1.5" if you are going to wheel it. 15x8 would be a better wheel choice if you plan to actually go offroad. 15x10 sounds like you will pop beads all the time when you air down. I've never been one for the wheel sticking past the fender look but to each his own.

Last edited by Victor; 11-24-2003 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cranking torsion bars sucks.

Thicker aftermarket bars suck even more. Only get them if you have a serious fat front end, and only think about it then.

Cranking aftermarket torsion bars is the epitome of sucking.

You need an inch and trimming to wheel 15x8's and 33x12.5's. You can either run more lift or less tire width to eliminate trimming.

Depending on BS, the 10's are going to rub even at stock height. That is a lot of rim unless you have a 14" wide tire.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Flygtenstein
Cranking aftermarket torsion bars is the epitome of sucking.
If I were the type that goes around quoting people in my sig line, this would be my new sig line.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Epitome

Originally posted by Robinhood150
If I were the type that goes around quoting people in my sig line, this would be my new sig line.
But who on here besides me, you and Flyg would know what "epitome" means? I mean the "sucking" they would get and could probably figure it out

Old 11-24-2003, 05:57 PM

Re: this is an evil site!!!! spacer ? guys

Hi Im Big Kahuna and Im a Yotaholic...

Is there anyone running 15x10 rims
im running 15x10s with 35" bfg mud terrains.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brian, Steve, thanks. I got a kick out of that.

I'm only telling what I know.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

i was trying to avoid getting aftermarket t bars when i got my arb and winch up front. i just couldnt handle all the nose dives i was doing whenever i braked/went over speed bumps.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by doink
i was trying to avoid getting aftermarket t bars when i got my arb and winch up front. i just couldnt handle all the nose dives i was doing whenever i braked/went over speed bumps.
Hey nothing wrong with a stiffer t-bar if you have the weight up front and need it. I am running Downey 26mm bars and sometimes have too much flex. In Colorado last summer I lost one of my bump stops because I was hitting them so much. I had to crank them up somemore to keep from hitting the bump stops so much.

There is another way to get lift without cranking the t-bar, ball joint spacers, here is a thread about it. http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...fpart=all&vc=1
Old 11-25-2003, 07:36 AM

Thanks guys

Hey look like alot of troubles with stuffing a 33 I'm really beginning to think I should just go wider and keep the 31 height after all millions of dollars in toyota research cant be wrong..

I was able to stuff the 15x10 with 31x10.5 with no rubbing and not blowing a bead at 18lbs pressure (lucky so far) I want wider without the high cost and trade off of increased problems. Maybe even using 31x11.5 or even 31x12.5 as I dont need the clearance. (Not doing the rubicon or large rocks anytime soon)

I'm hesitant though as Im going to Pismo BeaCH FOR THE DAY THIS SATURDAY anyone want to wagon train it down? I usually do it to get away from the annoying christmas shopping that Im forced to do... its quite relaxing.. also I'll probably rent a 650 raptor while Im out there and roost my neighbors.

All of the Guys in the neighborhood always take off for the annual run after the turkeyday therefore we call it the Turkey Run. Its a San Jose tradition for me an my neighbors. it was a way to get away from the wifes or ladies and their christmas shopping (you know what I mean we all have Runners and the extra cargo space is highly desirable by the ladies....

If there are any experienced 4xers that know the terrain out there or have good sand tips, it would be much appreciated also Ill post the pic afterward got a new digital camera

thanks Big Kahuna

Quick Reply: this is an evil site!!!! spacer ? guys