95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Easy extra 12v outlet

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 12:50 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Easy extra 12v outlet

OK, I could wire up an extra outlet like Dan did, but I'm not sure if I have room on mine to do that.

I have a 15' 12 volt outlet I carry in the back side pocket to run my 3 way fridge for trips.
I could easily cut off the end of it that plugs into the cigg lighter and wire it up to my auxiliary Fuse Box under the hood.

This way I will have 12v on all the time such as for the GPS.
Every time I stop the rig up in the mountains, the GPS shuts off of course since my present cigg lighter is not wired to be on all the time.

I got the idea reading about Steve's full time power for his GPS.
I could then tuck the receptacle out of the way under the passenger floor mat when it's not being used.
Does this sound like a feasible idea until I want to perhaps take on the task of cutting up my console to put one in permanently?
Old 08-25-2002, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like a plan but i bet you will soon gettired of keep putting it away ,If you want power for the gps then why not wire the thing in permantly so all you have is the connector just below the mount for it?
Old 08-25-2002, 04:28 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That's a good idea Mark. That may be the way Steve did his.
I have not asked him yet how he did his.

Now on the cigg plugs that go into the cigg lighter.
You have the center electrode, and then the one on the side.
Which is the positive on them?

I just may cut my Garmin 12v adaptor and wire it directly to my underhood aux box I put in awhile back.
Corey
Old 08-25-2002, 05:45 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

OK, after looking that these more, the one extra outlet I have is marked positive and negative DOH!

http://www.pnw4runners.net/temp/2.jpg
I think I will just cut it, and wire it to the aux. fuse box I have setup.

The pic below shows the Garmin 12v power supply.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/temp/1.jpg

It has a built in fuse, and light for when it's on. I can't bring myself to cut that up.
Think I'll stick with the original plan on wiring up that one in the first pic.
Eventually I may mount it in the console somehow by cutting a hole.
Corey
Old 08-25-2002, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Corey,

For my GPS equipment, I went to Radio Shack and bought an adapter that plugs into a cig. lighter outlet and converts it to 3 outlets. With a little bit of careful cutting I was able to cut off the plug part and solder on wires so I could hardwire it into my system through a switch that turns power on and off. (Mine is also controlled through a relay from the ignition so it goes off when I turn the key off to avoid draining the battery.) I have mine mounted under the dash.

I seem to remember seeing a three outlet setup somewhere recently that was made to be hard-wired that would be a cleaner install, but I was in a bit of a hurry and went with the first thing that worked and it has been OK so far.

I'm using one of the outlets for the GPS and one for an external antenna. Both of these have plugs that convert 12V to the right voltage for the devices and I didn't want to hardwire those into the system. I used cable ties to make sure the adapters don't vibrate out, for a semi-permanent installation. The antenna is there all the time because of the wire routing. I only put the GPS in when I need it, but the power adapter stays in. I've been using a laptop computer to display maps, so the third outlet could be used for that if I decide to leave the 12v converter for that in all the time.

I've been thinking about modifying the whole works by putting in a small gel-cel battery just for the navigation equipment so I can leave it on when the engine isn't running without worrying about a dead battery if I forget to turn it off overnight. (Basically a dual-battery setup with only a small secondary battery. If I can figure out how to fit even a small battery under the hood and it doesn't cost too much.) With the PC and the GPS both requiring some user interaction to start up after power goes off, I'd like to be able to just leave them on during the day without depending entirely on their internal batteries.

Alan
Old 08-25-2002, 09:27 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hi Alan, in my top post I have a link to Dan's nice 3 12v setup.
I'd like to do something like that, but I think I'll just end up wiring the 12v extension cord I have to 12v live from my aux. fuse box under the hood.

Then I just plug the Garmin adaptor into it. I need it live all the time because before when I'd have the Garmin hooked up, naturally it would turn off when I turn the key off.

I may, or may not put a switch on it. The GPS will only be running for the day when I'm out wheelin', and not be left on overnight to drain the battery.

Ahhhh, so many little projects to do. My Rockstomper sheath should be her tomorrow for the winch line.

Your setup sounds very cool. I should go down to Boeing Surplus and pick up a laptop and load my GPS software on it.
They I too can see the GPS movement on the laptop instead of watching it.

To bad there is not software to emulate what you see on the screen of the GPS though like speed, and the compass.
That would be very cool.
Corey
Old 08-26-2002, 06:46 AM

I wired my Garmin directly to the battery with a inline fuse on my ATV. It works great and it keeps running when you shut the motor off. Just but the hard wire adaptor that Garmin sells and it plugs directly into the back of the unit. That way you don't have to mess around with the cig. plugs. Just tuck the wire behind the council when you are not using it.