Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Easy, effective, Headlight mod - Huge improvement over stock bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 06:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
dont forget that you can make your stock lights better by adding/building an upgraded harness that actually gets battery voltage to the headlights. i had a 2.5v drop in my stock headlight harness before i built a relay setup using 12ga. now i get 14.4v to my lights.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a set of regular Silverstars and they lasted just about three years and just last month I went with a set of Ultras and the Ultras are just noticeably brighter as their beam pattern seems to be more intense and a little more whiter too. Their wet weather performance is a little better but a set of actual yellow fogs really helps. I have Optiliux Xenon yellow H3s in the fogs.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:03 AM

dont forget that you can make your stock lights better by adding/building an upgraded harness that actually gets battery voltage to the headlights. i had a 2.5v drop in my stock headlight harness before i built a relay setup using 12ga. now i get 14.4v to my lights.
On my 89 P/U I had the Hella ECE's with Hella 55/100W bulbs and Hella 550 fog lights. They both worked well with the 550's being a brighter light than the headlights. I upgraded the wiring harness for the headlights, and it was a tremendous improvement in brightness for the headlights.

My 4runner lights compared to the Hellas are a poor second. Still debating what to do there as they are not as well designed as the Hella's. Most likely will fit some micro DE's in place of the OEM fog lights.

The Hid's on my 9-2x are awesome, but I will be upgrading the bulbs for the Halogon high beams and the OEM fogs are being replaced with Micro DE's.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:56 AM

so is there really any yellow at all in either of the silverstars?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:53 PM

i had silverstars and they lasted about a year once i get new headlights im going to go with the ultras
Old 02-16-2008, 07:17 PM

I've brought this up in previous threads, and ill bring it up again for the sake of spreading knowledge. If the silverstars use only 55w like all other stock bulbs, how can they be brighter? They're not. They use the same tungsten filament as most all other incandescent bulbs. And for incandescent bulbs, to burn brighter, you have to use more energy.
You could say they put out a better color light. And that makes them seem brighter. Maybe, but to change the color of incandescent bulbs, you need to filter the light. And that just removes perfectly good light and actually makes them dimmer. And studies show the best light for visibility at night is slightly yellow. That's what they use for the LeMans cars.

Go for the hella 80/100 bulbs if you want real improvement for low beams. And you'll save alot more. At $8 each they are much brighter for the buck. As for the high beams, I just use my 130w spots.
http://www.autobarn.net/hellah4.html
I've had my current ones almost 2 years now. I had them on a celica for 3 years, no burn outs or fried harness problems at all.

[psst: the reason all bulbs at walmart are 55w low is that is what is approved by the highway dept that includes silverstars]

Last edited by MARSHALLMAY; 02-16-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

I know what is said about Silverstars but when compared to my mom's '99 using Nighhawks I can see further with the Ultrastars and this is driving them back to back and comparing side by side. I'll try to get some pics sometime soon. Maybe it's my imagination but the Ultras look like a solid improvement.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used the silverstars in my bike and liked them. For the past 2-3 years I have been using the PIAA xtreme white bulbs. I believe they are rated at 4000K. They work really good. You don't see much further like any halogen bulb but they are way more brighter and helps out big time, especially if you are on the road without any other cars and can run high beams
Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have the SS Ultras on my truck, and they are a big improvment over stock halogens, I have the regular Silverstars on my Supra and they are very good too, a little bluer than than the Ultras, i like the Ultras better. I plan on trying up to Hella 80/100 W bulbs but i am not sure if the stock wiring can handle them. Did you guys just use a 30 amp relay for the rewire?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:25 AM

I have had the IPF Titan White which is brighter and whiter than the Silverstars Ultras but that is because it is a higher wattage. However, like MARSHALLMAY has mentioned, function and looks are two different things. It may look whiter but in terms of usable light, in MY opinion, I prefer a regular halogen bulb with of course a higher wattage along with a good solid wiring harness. I learned the expensive way...I bought Silverstars Ultras which was better than stock, but I was disappointed but maybe thats because I heard all the rave from all my buddies. Then I bought a pair of IPF Titan White which were even brighter than the Silverstar Ultras but they cost a pretty penny. So finally after chatting with Daniel Stern from (www.danielsternlighting.com) and getting schooled about automotive lighting. I finally went with the Osram 85/80W H4 bulb with a heavy guage wiring harness and the light output is AMAZING obviously and the cut off is great and in TONS of usable light. Of course, they are not white at all but to me, I rather have function over looks anyday, now that I have been on both sides of the fence in terms of automotive lighting.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/H4.asp#HYPER

http://www.candlepower.com/
Old 02-17-2008, 07:03 AM

is there a cheap fog light housing that takes the h4 bulb?
Old 02-17-2008, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ETRNL
is there a cheap fog light housing that takes the h4 bulb?
I am not sure about the housing but I have heard of people putting 100W bulbs in the STOCK housing and I have also heard people that have said that its just asking for it by putting a 100W bulb in there. I guess do it at your own risk. Since my rig is a Limited, it came with FACTORY fog lights and not dealer installed. Therefore, they are not Hellas so I was thinking of just replacing the whole assembly with this kit:

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Micro_DE.asp#4runner
(Part # HL74560)

It's a little pricey but I am saving up and it should be worth it.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:21 AM

anything to put h4s in because im thinking of getting the hella 100/80 for driving and putting my hids in some lights on the bumper or behind the grill
Old 02-17-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have run regular GE and Sylvanian H4 bulbs. I have run Silverstars. The light output and quality of light is better with the Silverstars. Where I disliked them was replacing them every 5 weeks. I went through 5 pair of bulbs (all under warranty) before I finally gave up and went back to stock bulbs.

I'm running GE Nighthawks in my current setup and have been more than impressed with their output and quality. I think this year I may take the plunge and build or buy the custom high gauge wiring harness that many people rave about. That seems to be where one of the weak links is.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:30 AM

Ahhhh, I see what you are trying to do. In that case, sorry I can't help you. This is my first time hearing about doing something like that. Good luck
Old 02-17-2008, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by RobD
I have run regular GE and Sylvanian H4 bulbs. I have run Silverstars. The light output and quality of light is better with the Silverstars. Where I disliked them was replacing them every 5 weeks. I went through 5 pair of bulbs (all under warranty) before I finally gave up and went back to stock bulbs.

I'm running GE Nighthawks in my current setup and have been more than impressed with their output and quality. I think this year I may take the plunge and build or buy the custom high gauge wiring harness that many people rave about. That seems to be where one of the weak links is.
i had the same problem with my bulbs the problem was the lack of voltage causeing a "brown Outage" or dirty power whatever you wanna call it causing the lights to blow. 25 dollars later from autozone i had a brand new 12ga relay wiring harness..
Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't believe mine were "dirty power". I must point out that they were in a 2007 Toyota Corolla at the time. I believe they were 9007s.

I am running H4s in the Hella conversion kit (rectangular headlight replacements allowing the use of normal H4s instead of sealed beams). That was worth the price of admission right there.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 AM

go to that link for the hella lights on my first post. There you will find this info...
100/80 7.6/6.1
That is watts and amp draw for hi/lo beam. low beam draws 12.2 amps (both bulbs) high draws 15.2 amps. I'm not sure what the stock fuse is for headlamps, but I haven't blown it yet. If I do, I'll just replace it with a 20A. I think the higher wattage would blow the fuse before it hurt the wires anyway. Like i said, I've ran the hella 80/100's for years and never had one burn out or damage my harness.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:35 PM

I got my upgraded wiring harness from the site below:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ryBeforeYouBuy

Another site that has them:
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/wiring_harnesses.asp
Old 02-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't read this whole thread, but I just got the Ultras last week. So far, I love them. My lights are much whiter then before. Also, they are much better looking when parked next to other trucks. On highbeams, I get much more light off the edge of the road which really helps during this time of the year and moose hanging out near the roads. I also asked the diff between the standard and the Ultras. I was told the filiment was heavier and should last longer in the Ultras. I don't know if that's BS or now, but that's what they said.

Quick Reply: Easy, effective, Headlight mod - Huge improvement over stock bulbs