Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

E3 Spark Plugs - Hype or Hot Stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E3 Spark Plugs - Hype or Hot Stuff?

Its spark plug buying time for me. Recently it seems that everyone from the guys at napa to almost every car show on Speed or Spike has been endorsing these E3 Spark Plugs.

Horsepower TV (on Spike) did a few dyno pulls just to see how well they work. According to horsepower, the E3 plugs outperform Bosch's 4 point iridium crap.

I know that NGK is the recommended flavor of spark plug to use in the 3.4L. NGK has never let me down, but I'm quite curious to try out these new plugs...

Has anyone used these? What's the real story here?
The following users liked this post:
mtnbikingman (11-21-2010)
Old 09-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like crap to me ill stick with the factory denso plugs
Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my experience smaller electrodes like on those foul out quicker with older vehicles, ie, ones over 85k miles, just somethign i've noticed, so yeah, you may get more power initially but they will be covered with soot and not arcing good in not time...

Denso or NGK IMO
Old 09-16-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It amazes me that people still think litttle spark plugs will make any difference in power compared to stock. Do not expect "hidden hp" to magically appear.

For spark plugs, it's always the OEM dual electrodes for me.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
It amazes me that people still think litttle spark plugs will make any difference in power compared to stock.
Believe me, I feel the same way - I just wanted to make sure E3 hadn't succeeded in reinventing the wheel here.

so OEM for plugs, anything else I should replace while i'm at it?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:01 PM

I guess it depends on how many miles are on your truck. Some people do wires, but they're expensive and if they are working, then leave them be. Last weekend, finally got around to steering rack bushings and sway bar bushings that's been sitting on the shelf since 2007! Well worth it, though.

BTW, my original comment wasn't directed at you. I've been arounda lot of ricers that think an intake, huge neon wires and the Tornado will give them 50 hp. The guys at HP are paid off anyway. I've seen them endorse some crap products.

Last edited by cackalak han; 09-16-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:09 PM

they will outperform and old worn out plug

buy they will NOT increase power over any stock plug. no plug can.

a spark is a spark that ignites the mixture. the mixture burning is what creates
power, not what ignites it. and electronic timing ensures the mixture is
lit at the correct instant

save your money.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i tried them, got bad road noise in my electronics, took them back the next weekend. wasted my time on them, went back to denso/ngk, no problems, felt like new plugs should
Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

I made the mistake to try something other than denso or NGK on my old 3.0. The little 3 liter didn't like them, I've since switched back to NGK and that's all I use I wouldn't try anything else other than the brands mentioned earlier in a yota, it will not appreciate it.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:08 PM

i bought them like 2 weeks ago and ive had no problems with them. They work pretty well... A couple of ppl told me they give like 2mpg more but i havent been able to test that out yet. Ill let u no soon...
Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 PM

Ill stick with the regular NGK plugs for me. I think its all hype.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ETRNL
i tried them, got bad road noise in my electronics, took them back the next weekend. wasted my time on them, went back to denso/ngk, no problems, felt like new plugs should
All HYPE!!!!! yes I tried them
Originally Posted by xskydivingdudex
i bought them like 2 weeks ago and ive had no problems with them. They work pretty well... A couple of ppl told me they give like 2mpg more but i havent been able to test that out yet. Ill let u no soon...
How many miles do you have on them? Not enough they will do like any other than denso or ngk start to fade till you start bogging. If you want to try a new plug try NGK BKUR7-ET this is a 2 steps cooler plug that is really primarily used in S/C apps but I do like them with out S/C. but that is my opinion. they have a copper core and 3 ground straps as opposed to 2 and all cooler plugs use a resistor in the plug. my truck started running at a lower RPM about 750 unless the a/c is on then it bumps up to a 1000. my experience.
this will give slightly better milage but not any thing to boast about!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:34 AM

They do work well on outdoor power equipment like riding lawn mowers and weed-eaters for some reason with not fouling, that's about it for their advantages in small engines. However don't believe the hype when it comes to their use in Automobiles. NGK or Denso definately. NGK for me personally.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have only run them on my Still chain saw and I've noticed it keeps up the rpm's when otherwise it would start to bog down towards the center of the log. It does help to sart it faster too. I don't know how that would translate to our trucks though
Old 09-18-2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by eddieleephd
If you want to try a new plug try NGK BKUR7-ET this is a 2 steps cooler plug that is really primarily used in S/C apps but I do like them with out S/C.
Is there a potential for anything bad to happen from running 2 steps colder plugs on a NA engine? Where/what engine conditions did you notice the drop in RPM?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:15 PM

Here is my take on the E3 plugs.

They are extremely durable. I had an 89 Chevy K2500. Bought her for cheap, 1800 bucks. Turned out the tags were out over 4 years, but thats a whole different story. The Engine ran fine as far as i could tell. Then I ditched the cat, flowmaster 40 installed, fired it up, started smoking- bad. Turns out I had two cylinders that were getting a massive amount of oil in them. Well, at the time, after paying up the registration, I didnt have that much money to spend, so I had to save up for the engine. I bought two E3's for those cylinders. It smoked alot worse, but the engine didnthydrolock on me. When I bought the new short block and had the heads done, I bought 6 more e3's and installed the other two into the new engine. Never had an engine problem again, but the transmission died like 3-4 months after, so it got sold for 1200 bucks. This morning I installed E3's in the 84, it did smooth out my idle alot, also, it doesnt have the hiccup that it had since I bought it. Bear in mind though, I have replaced every ignition component since I got her. I just keep up on my maintenance, change my oil every 2k to 2500 miles, ad Z-max engine treatment every change, clean my K&N after every trip.

Sorry about the long post, tired and just started talking. LOL.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by xskydivingdudex

2mpg more. impossible.

next
Old 09-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
2mpg more. impossible.

next

I wouldn't say impossible, unlikely though
Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 AM

No, impossible. No chance. I will sell off my entire stock/bonds and put it all in this company if it increases the mpg by 10%.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 PM

these plugs are insane. my 3.0 had a nasty lifter tick and after I installed the e3's the tick was gone, the motor has never run so smooth. Huuuge difference!

Quick Reply: E3 Spark Plugs - Hype or Hot Stuff?