Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dynomax/Monza installed---first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dynomax/Monza installed---first impressions

Hi folks,

Just wanted to let you guys know I got my Dynomax and Monza tip installed. I will be posting a step-by-step pictorial of the installation. For now, enjoy the teaser pic here. It will be pretty cool---you can count on that, so be patient!

In contrast to the price most others have paid, I paid a bit more ($130) but got a discount b/c my friend knows the guy (I won't tell you the discounted price per agreement). What they did was the following:

1) Removed the OEM exhaust by unbolting it from the flanges
2) Cut the inlet/outlet pipe on the dynomax and expanded the hole to 2.5" (they recommended that eveyrone buys a 2.5")
3) Welded on new mandrel bent pipes AND flanges to the Dynomax
4) Added new gaskets and installed the Dynomax

Basically, this will allow me to swap the stock exhaust and the new exhaust at my leisure. Pretty cool, huh?

As for the Monza tip, they cut it at the weld, exposing the two parts of the tip (inner glass pack and outer chrome tip). I freaked out when I saw this b/c I thought they ruined it, but they put it into an expander machine which sealed the two parts. Then they cut off the end of the OEM exhaust tip, put the Monza tip on (which is slightly larger now than the cut exhaust), and then welded that to the end of the now-cut exhaust end.

Now I know there has been debate about the size of the exhaust pipes. These guys said it is definitely 2.5". They showed and measured/calculated for me a 2.25" tube and then showed me my cut 2.5" tube (from the end of the exhaust). I'm still in slight disbelief, but they did show me both tubes and did the measurement/calculation.

In anycase, my first impressions of it are good. I'm going to give it about 30 days before I give my final verdict. The sound at idle is barely noticeable above OEM. At throttle, especially around 2500 rpm is where you hear that nice, low, mellow sound. After about 3000 rpm, its barely noticeable above OEM. This is what I wanted.

I haven't heard that "whoosing" sound that Chuck has, but then again, I only drove it from the shop to my place...a total of 20 miles. I'm kinda wishing now that I didn't install the Monza just to hear what it sounds like with just the muffler, but then again, i think most of you that had that setup eventually added the Monza.

I'll be posting the pictorial within the next few days.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 08-03-2002 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bob sound like you got a good set-up. My borla is similiar to that it's nice and quiet till you want to hear it then it roars! Looking forward to the pics!
Old 08-03-2002, 03:29 PM

I too am glad that you are happy. I sure am as well as many others (Philly, etc.). I am also glad that you got a discount and all, very nice! Can't wait to see the write-up! Nice job! :fireman:
Old 08-03-2002, 06:03 PM

Congratulations! Sounds good !! (Pun intended)
Old 08-04-2002, 05:56 PM

what wooshing sound---now i hear it

hey chuck,

i'm hearing what you are talking about too. i drove the 4runner through a narrow street and stepped on it. it sounded like just as you described---whoosh!!! kinda sounds like a "sheeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sometimes too. also last nite, i took my bro-in-law, sis-in-law, the C-n-C (wife), and myself to dinner last nite, we drove up a long hill and i stepped on it. i could hear that whoosing sound again.

my guess is that the tip is the culprit, just as you said. you can only hear it when you floor it. it sounds like the sudden, extra exhaust gases are too much for the dimples inside the tip. The excess gas that the tip cannot handle and muffle probably causes that whooshing sound.

its not a big deal---i think chuck you said you are getting used to it. and to speak to that point, i think getting used to the sound of the new muffler is probably just that---getting used to it! i remember when i first drove my 4runner home, i said "good god, man, that exhaust sure is loud!" and thats b/c i was driving a little 4-banger civic before.

the muffler's throatiness is really nice. im getting used to that very easily!

bob
Old 08-04-2002, 06:03 PM

Re: what wooshing sound---now i hear it

Originally posted by bob_99SR5
hey chuck,

i'm hearing what you are talking about too. i drove the 4runner through a narrow street and stepped on it. it sounded like just as you described---whoosh!!! kinda sounds like a "sheeeeeeeeeeeeeee" sometimes too. also last nite, i took my bro-in-law, sis-in-law, the C-n-C (wife), and myself to dinner last nite, we drove up a long hill and i stepped on it. i could hear that whoosing sound again.

my guess is that the tip is the culprit, just as you said. you can only hear it when you floor it. it sounds like the sudden, extra exhaust gases are too much for the dimples inside the tip. The excess gas that the tip cannot handle and muffle probably causes that whooshing sound.

its not a big deal---i think chuck you said you are getting used to it. and to speak to that point, i think getting used to the sound of the new muffler is probably just that---getting used to it! i remember when i first drove my 4runner home, i said "good god, man, that exhaust sure is loud!" and thats b/c i was driving a little 4-banger civic before.

the muffler's throatiness is really nice. im getting used to that very easily!

bob
I just sent Corey a couple of recordings of the Dyno/Monza combination. He'll post them and then everybody will hear the "whoosh".

It's actually not as bad as it sounds on the recording, but it's definitely there. It won't bother me at all if it mellows a little bit further. I would still rather the whoosh than the resonance at 1500 - 1600 rpm of the muffler alone.

Maybe an ideal mod would be to bore the inside of the Monza to take the inner projections out of it. Any ideas for doing that?
Old 08-04-2002, 06:22 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Chuck, just got the sound clips.
Yes, they are pretty scratchy
Can you get access at all to a digicam that takes vids or talking pics?

http://www.pnw4runners.net/exhaust/chuck2.wav

http://www.pnw4runners.net/exhaust/chuck3.wav

Corey
Old 08-04-2002, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Corey
Chuck, just got the sound clips.
Yes, they are pretty scratchy
Can you get access at all to a digicam that takes vids or talking pics?

http://www.pnw4runners.net/exhaust/chuck1.wav

http://www.pnw4runners.net/exhaust/chuck2.wav

http://www.pnw4runners.net/exhaust/chuck3.wav

Corey
I don't think it would help much. Most of the extraneous noise is wind noise from the open window or from being outside. Maybe I can wrap the recorder mike in a piece of foam to tame it.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

I have the same Dynomax as ya'll but I went with the Big Bore pencil tip with resonator (part number 95-9125). I have never noticed a whooshing sound at all. Mine sounds perfect. Maybe there is some difference in my tip and yours. I don't know. Gotta love the sound though. Makes my 4Runner actually sound like a truck!! Later guys.

Matt
Old 08-04-2002, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by LSUMatt1514
I have the same Dynomax as ya'll but I went with the Big Bore pencil tip with resonator (part number 95-9125). I have never noticed a whooshing sound at all. Mine sounds perfect. Maybe there is some difference in my tip and yours. I don't know. Gotta love the sound though. Makes my 4Runner actually sound like a truck!! Later guys.

Matt
Can you post a pic of the bore? I'd like to see if it's the same as mine. If it is, I don't know why it would sound any different.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:38 PM

Anybody wonder if the dual tip sounds different than the single tip? I need to tame mine as the WAF is quite low on this one. I did a complete 2.5" system with the Dynomax muffler. Same muffler I had on it but in a 2.5" version. Other difference is that I installed a high flow cat also. This lets more high frequency putt putting sounds come through at idle and especially from 2000 to 2500 rpm I get a pretty good drone. With the OEM cat, there was some drone but not audible in the car. Also there was no putt putting sounds either. It was more a mellow, throaty hum. Now its a throaty, putt putting hum. I need more mellow and less putt putting. This is on a 2nd gen. I have never heard the 3rd gen with dynomax in person.
Old 08-05-2002, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Philly,
I moved and was waiting on Charter to get their asses in gear and hook up my cable modem and digital cable. FYI Charter sucks so steer clear if you can help it. Anyway go to this site to view all of Pacesetter's tips.

http://www.pacesetterexhaust.com/monza/tips.html

Like I said, I went with the 3" big bore pencil tip and mine sounds awesome. Later.

Matt
Old 08-05-2002, 02:24 PM

LSU:

LOL! I checked out that url and the first pic on the left hand side says "durable black finish".

Does this look durable to you?

http://www.4runners.org/images/monza/monza.htm

Bob
Old 08-05-2002, 11:18 PM

Caution: Installing performance muffler (and tip) will decrease gas mileage. All that pedal 'goosin' just to hear the kool sounds somehow contributes to lower MPG's. Have fun.
butnut
Old 08-06-2002, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by butnut
Caution: Installing performance muffler (and tip) will decrease gas mileage. All that pedal 'goosin' just to hear the kool sounds somehow contributes to lower MPG's. Have fun.
butnut
True, true!
Old 08-08-2002, 08:25 PM

Re: what wooshing sound---now i hear it

Originally posted by bob_99SR5
hey chuck,

bob
Hey, Bob. What's the part number of the Monza tip you used?
Old 08-08-2002, 11:12 PM

Chuck,

From Summit Racing I got:

PSM-95-9938
3 in. single outlet, fits 2 1/4 in. diameter, 16 1/2 in. overall length, slash cut style Monza exhaust tips ... $23.99

As you will see later in the pictorial I am building right now, the guys made the hole bigger so that it could fit on the *outside* of the stock tubing. Thus they recommended that people get the 2.5" tip. But it seems others, including you, have had the 2.25" tip installed with no problems.

Bob
Old 08-09-2002, 12:36 AM
Contributing Member

Personally I think you all should go with a tip like this!
Old 08-09-2002, 03:02 AM

THAT would solve the problem!
Old 08-12-2002, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

I added a Dynomax as well and I can not hear any difference. Probably due to all the noise the MT/R's make. Rollers on the winch fairing ratteling, etc.

Also 4 cylinders of furry probably don't pump as much exhaust out.

But the big thrill for me was the fact that it mounts up much higher. More off-road clearance is great. I smashed the stocker a few times.

So Bob when are we hitting Johnson Valley?