Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Doors Are for Freakin Pansies...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been thinking about taking off the doors on my pickup for the summer Guess I would have to take the stero out through.

Does anyone know where I could find out if It is illegal to have the doors off in North Carolina without the lip or whatever on the floor?

Last edited by kryptik; 04-29-2005 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:46 AM

Survived 3 hurricans last year myself. Rig came out just fine - thank god for a block house and flat roof. I call it the cinder block dubble wide.

How about the sticker - "nothing in this truck is worth risking you life"

Have you ever been in the mud with a rig with no doors? Splater-friggen-smatter.

How about some mini doors or 1/2 doors. Like a tube door with skin. Stay legal and improve vision?
Old 04-29-2005, 08:31 PM

Texas requires you have at least one mirror that is not cracked which you can visible see 200 feet to the rear, two windshield wipers (you don't need an actual windshield as long as you have wipers), mudflaps that cover the width of your tire and at least half the size in length, 1 lisc. plate light, 2 head lights, 2 tail lights, seat belts for all seats in the front, a catalytic converter, 2/32 of tire tread, all lug nuts (if you have 6 per wheel... then you need all 24), a few emissions things under the hood (evap, egr, pcv, etc.), and also a few other stupid rules but nothing to do with..
Doors, windows, hoods, fenders, roofs, side mirrors, and so on.

The big thing I would recommend is wearing your seat belt if you plan on not having doors... because you might get away with not wearing it with doors... but you take the doors off and the first thing they are going to notice is your not wearing a seat belt and that's going to be one hell of a ticket.

"Son, do you know why I pulled you over?"
"I dunno. You thought I had donuts in here??"
Old 04-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LannyRx7
two windshield wipers (you don't need an actual windshield as long as you have wipers)

actually you do need a windshield per United States Department Of Transportation
Old 04-29-2005, 09:26 PM

officer: son, have you been drinking? your eyes look blood shot!
me: officer, have you been eating dougnuts? your eyes look glazed!

haha and there plent more where that came from. That what Im going to be hearing form all kinds of people once I pass the Sheriffs department test here in Hawaii.

Ussaly I only see jeeps running around with no doors here, and they dont seem to get in trouble.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimabena74
actually you do need a windshield per United States Department Of Transportation
are you alowed to fold it down in the case of fj40s or jeeps if they have the option?
Old 04-29-2005, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
CA has this law as well... if i ever do it, i will get a pice of thin plate and drill a couple holes with threaded rivit inserts, then weld a t handle on a bolt to attach the plates, that way i have a easily removeable lip that wont interfere with regular door use when its removed
Originally Posted by bigkahuna808
I would rhino line the inside, and spray it down after I got back from the trails
On your 2wds?
Old 04-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SizzleChest
are you alowed to fold it down in the case of fj40s or jeeps if they have the option?
not if its being street driven

Originally Posted by RobT2k
On your 2wds?
yup, my 4x2 sees a lot mroe offroading than about 90% of 4wd vehicles.....
Old 04-30-2005, 02:12 AM

about 2 weeks ago, i woke up..bout 12pm...perfectly warm outside..i thought to myself...nice day for wieght reduction! hour later..no doors...no tailgate! with a 22re...you can feel a good difference in pickup just from a lot less wieght! plus...no doors is freaken awesome! cant go wrong! lose em till the end of summer i say! if your worried bout your sterio....get an alarm! motion sensor the inside ebay has em for cheap!
Old 04-30-2005, 03:26 AM

Yep rhino line the inside of a 2wd, might as well. With tires as wide as mine, your gonna be taking some mean mud baths. Your gonna have to hose off the interior. Of course I want to get a simple interrior. Maybe a plastic milk crate or a steel folding chair.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SizzleChest

My buddy drives his '42 Willys around with his windshield down. According to what he was told, its alright IF you have some form of eye protection on. The concern is that something could hit you in the eyes and mess up your vision, causing a wreck. You do have to have 1 side mirror and rear view, so if folding the windshield down takes away your rear view mirror, that'd be illegal.

Who knows if that's actual law or not, but it seems to be logical....
Old 05-02-2005, 11:33 AM

I have some quick release door hinges on my p/u that I take off for trail runs and around town now and then...never been hassled by the cops...and on the topic of eye protection...definitely put on some shades if you are driving w/o the doors on dusty roads or trails...the dust tends to just swirl in the cab. AZ laws are generally fairly relaxed compared to our neighboring states...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by westy44runner
I have some quick release door hinges on my p/u that I take off for trail runs and around town now and then...never been hassled by the cops...and on the topic of eye protection...definitely put on some shades if you are driving w/o the doors on dusty roads or trails...the dust tends to just swirl in the cab. AZ laws are generally fairly relaxed compared to our neighboring states...
So I gather you lose the rear view mirrors then?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by getitdone
Does anybody know the law for texas?

I shot an email to my friend who was a Texas State Trooper saying this

"I have a question, is it ilegal to drive without doors on a vehicle... like say i took them off my 4runner, is that legal? even if I make a new Side Mirror Bracket? what about with a lip like on a jeep wrangler, there's is 4", is that required?"

and today he said this

"Nope you are not required to have doors. And you don't have to have side mirrors as long as you have a rearview mirror. No lip required if you are talking about the part I think you are."

so that means we are good to go. I do agree about the mud baths, while they are fun the first few times, you get really sick of them. But for hot Texas summers cruisin at the beach or working out in the pastures, it would be nice no to have doors to worry about.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by westy44runner

westy how did you fabrictae those QR hinges? was it difficult? Has it affected the functionality of the door at all?

What about a lip for the floor? have you done anything like that?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:53 PM

if you got the extra cash for a solid console you could replace your factory one w/ one of these tuffy's

waskillywabbit has one in his 85 runner....check out his thread-@ about page 13 + . Hope he doesn't mind...https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&page=13&pp=25