Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Don't think I want to post up mods anymore....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These types of threads kill me! My stuff is OK but everyone else is reckless! It sounds like that old George Carlin bit where anyone who drives slower than you is an a**hole and anyone who drives faster is a lunatic.

Every “bad cat” post has a bunch of people saying “go URD” to fool the sensor. Big tires and wheels do increase stop distances without brake upgrades. Lifts raise the vehicles CG and can reduce stability at higher speeds. And take a look at this. If you t-bone Granny in her 92 Altima with your illegally lifted truck you will impale her head on you winch or recovery hook or what ever.

May be I have become desensitized because I get blinded by both OE and aftermarket HIDs in my stock suspension daily driver (Integra). It also makes me a prime target for the winch ear ring. Man, I hope that RAM 1500 can stop…

The bottom line is it sucks when you are on the receiving end, doesn’t it?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
And a tip of the hat to Death Cougar for working Monty Python into this post! I'm just glad that he's not shaking anything in my general direction!

[/Off Topic]
Old 02-13-2008, 08:37 PM

well, in my opinion, the best part of this thread was seeing Element's avatar!!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:38 PM

good lord there is so much wah wah wah going on here/.

Maybe it should read: Yotatech, Now with Estrogen!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I can't believe this thread is comparing tire/wheel mods with cheap ass ty HIDs. Tires/wheels don't affect others on a day to day basis. Sure you can retardedly argue about a wheel falling off, but day to day that's not common.
Were talking about what's safe, I'd rather be blinded for a second by some bright headlights, then have a wheel come at me...
Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i understand that the HID's are bright and i personally dont mind them i see them all the time, my friend has them on his runner and they arent that bad, wat bugs me is so may ppl that complain about the HID lights that theirs blind me just as bad cuz their truck is lifted and they havent realigned their stock headlights. well there is my "opinion" and that is all it is.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 PM

relax tampax. it is what is is. don't post if you can't handle the critics. to each his own.

i give the tuners credit though, this is primarily a offroading forum, but you can't really tell someone how they should mod their car or what they should be buying because its their money. just like when your wife tells you to save instead of sas'ing the truck. you're gonna do what you want to do eventually.

personally i think toytech has a great rig. that thing is beefy!
Old 02-13-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So long as they're aimed correct,
no low beam headlight can really blind you
unless you stare into it.

Lookin at Fo Sheezy's truck,
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say
he doesn't half ass his mods and I'm
sure his are aimed correctly.

BTW, Fo Sheezy has one of the cleanest looking 4Runner's here
Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by element
And a tip of the hat to Death Cougar for working Monty Python into this post! I'm just glad that he's not shaking anything in my general direction!

[/Off Topic]
I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:28 PM

I have always know yotatech for being a more friendly place. If you want to be bashed go post a bling HID thread over on pirate...make sure its tuesday too each to his own is what i say. There are way mreo headlight problems than HID. Look at all these guys in fords and dodges who lift them a bazilion inches and never adjust the headlights. That makes me far more pissed off, then people with ricer lights who makes me laugh
Old 02-13-2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Posting up any mod thread is about several issues:

1) Look at what I did! (we all like the attention)
2) Sharing our enthusiasm for modding our Toyotas, however that may be
3) Sharing information about our mods for those who might want to follow in the same path
4) With any public presentation comes criticism, whether it be HIDs, a SAS, or putting spinners on your wheels, some folks likey, some folks hatey.

If you can't stand the criticsm, which can be construed or interpreted as a personal attack since an individual has done the mod, then simply don't play the game.

Best advice I can give is mod YOUR truck like YOU want, grow a thick skin, and post up the mods for others to share in. Someone will appreciate it and learn from it, whether to do it or not to do it.

Thus we are a community.

Great post! I couldn't agree more. Some are going to like it and some are going to hate it. You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friends.. No no, that's not it... Oh nevermind.. BTW, did you see my post in this section about my new TRD Ivan Stewart Grille? Don't H8 it unless your a bug.

What's the last thing that goes through a bugs mind as it hits my grille?

Hey, is that a Ivan Stewart Edition TRD grille? I thought they were only on Tundras..

I'll be here all week..
Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
All right, last one...

Well, now, Lancelot, Galahad and I wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the rabbit, taking the French by surprise. Not only by surprise, but totally unarmed!

Who leaps out?

Old 02-14-2008, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by element
All right, last one...

Well, now, Lancelot, Galahad and I wait until nightfall, and then leap out of the rabbit, taking the French by surprise. Not only by surprise, but totally unarmed!

Who leaps out?

Have you seen Spamalot as well? Almost better there.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:17 AM

anyone that posts a blatently illegal modification that affects the safety of other drivers DESERVES to be told off IMO....

you guys must not have families or kids to be thinking like this
Old 02-14-2008, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke

Have you seen Spamalot as well? Almost better there.
I saw that monday night in vegas, it was awesome.

I bought balcony tickets, but they put me in the fifth row

John O Hurley, from seinfield, was Arthur.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:57 AM
Tug

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Improper blinding lights is different than most of our other "illegal" mods. Improper/illegal lighting reflects (no pun intended) on everybody you would encounter on the road unlike larger tires or illegal tint.
How do you figure? Have you ever been behind someone with oversized tires and no mud flaps, has your windshield ever been cracked because that person only cared about looking cool and could care less about the person behind him? I have. What about the person that has illegal window tint? How safe do you think it is when that person's driving around at night in a residental area or when he's backing out and his windows are so dark he cant see whats behind him? Illegal's illegal, dont try to justify it, you'll lose everytime!

Last edited by Tug; 02-14-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tug
How do you figure? Have you ever been behind someone with oversized tires and no mud flaps, has your windshield ever been cracked because that person only cared about looking cool and could care less about the person behind him? I have. What about the person that has illegal window tint? How safe do you think it is when that person's driving around at night in a residental area or when he's backing out and his windows are so dark he cant see whats behind him? Illegal's illegal, dont try to justify it, you'll lose everytime!
My rig is completely street legal. I dont cut corners on any safety component whether it be steering, brakes or lighting. Tinted windows on a trail rig are just dumb. My truck has 36 inch swampers and no mud flaps with a flat bed. This is completely legal in my state. If someones windshield gets cracked then they are following me too closely. I have never been pulled over or questioned for any legal issues on my rig by police or state inspection officials. Hope that clears that up
Old 02-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Somebody cracking my windshield still isn't the same as blinding sombody with your lights;even stock tires can throw rocks. Clear tails and too low of riding cars is illegal in alot of states but they don't directly result in other driver's deaths so illegal isn't always on the same level. Lifting your truck too high tho' can have bad results so that is different but that's why states have laws.

Speeding and drunk driving both are illegal too but you will get arrested for drunk driving every time but not speeding.

If too dark a tint is a problem for people than that is an individual issue and not mine;I'm careful.

I have flaps and such on my truck and I take care of myself and make sure I don't impose on others and I can't control what others do but I'll do my part and that means I won't do mods that might interfere with other drivers in regular driving conditions.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

I gotta say... I'm feelin' a lot love here at yotatech today...

on the subject of blinding light... I've been blinded by stock Halogens in lifted trucks, poorly aimed lights generally in various cars and trucks, miss aimed driving/fog lghts... miss aimed OE HIDs... aftermarket HIDs... LED bill boards... dirty headlights... turkeys in limos hanging out the roof taking flash pics... emergency light racks... poorly designed architectural lighting... the list goes on...

on the subject of stuff flying out of/off things... had wind shield broken and hood dented from scrap concrete flying out of dump truck... windshield cracked from gravel flying off suv tire [in neither case was I following the vehicle in question to close I was in a different lane entirely]

the point is I don't feel that you can single out "one" particular thing as being the source of all evil and you must judge each case individually on its merits...
ie you may have issues with a particular style of head light but you can't judge everyone on the basis of a few fools you need to look at that particular installation...
similarly for example your area may not require mudflaps but everyone else on the road would probably appreciate it if they were there lol...

BTW Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Improper blinding lights is different than most of our other "illegal" mods. Improper/illegal lighting reflects (no pun intended) on everybody you would encounter on the road unlike larger tires or illegal tint.

I didn't however have anything to do with any HID comments on fo Sheezy since I don't have enough knowledge of them to form an opinion but I do make comments if somebody asks for them.

exactly! i never made fun of fosheezy, his taste is different than mine and i respect that BUT those lights blind the hell out of people driving and its just not cool.. thats the only beef i have with them, other than that i have no issue with sheezy's mods..

Quick Reply: Don't think I want to post up mods anymore....