Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Doing the Lift Right

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious because I pieced together a Tundra/890 or #7style lift. The only thing I didn't do was the panhard, bumpstops,and the brake line. I am running BFG 285's with 0 rubbing. I did alot of things that weren't necessary, The diff drop was in question but I did it anyhow "$40 is cheap insurance", and I did the steering rack,swaybar ,and tierod bushings just because. It took a little searching to get it all together but I got it done for under $500 bucks.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by frodin1
Just curious because I pieced together a Tundra/890 or #7style lift. The only thing I didn't do was the panhard, bumpstops,and the brake line. I am running BFG 285's with 0 rubbing. I did alot of things that weren't necessary, The diff drop was in question but I did it anyhow "$40 is cheap insurance", and I did the steering rack,swaybar ,and tierod bushings just because. It took a little searching to get it all together but I got it done for under $500 bucks.
Best place for all the bushings? I need to do this, my steering and handling feels pretty loose and sloppy after the TRD/890 lift.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

After careful consideration and getting reviews from others.

I have decided to just to the complete SS System #1 Setup.

Now to just save my own cash on top of what I get for b-day and such.

God willing by the end of September I will be able to get this lift here and on.
If I manage to do it before then, I might even go on a wheeling trip end of September, to sort of close out the summer.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frodin1
That's how I did mine, I went the el cheapo route and I have no complaints about my setup either. Took a little time to find all the parts, but as Axl Rose once said, "just a little patience".
Old 08-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by saulgoode
That's how I did mine, I went the el cheapo route and I have no complaints about my setup either. Took a little time to find all the parts, but as Axl Rose once said, "just a little patience".
I was thinking el cheapo when I first went into the thought of a lift.

But after careful consideration, and thinking far into the future, such as bumpers, tires, family, and the trails I would like to run, this seemed best.

Now, the biggest question is, do I want to tackle the feat of putting this lift on myself, or take it to a shop.

I would really like to get to know all the workings of my truck (i mean thanks to all the sites I have joined I already do.)

But to get first hand experience would be nice.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

I would have a shop assemble the new springs/ struts for you so you don't have to mess with a spring compressor, and put the rest of the lift on yourself. /it's a good learning experience.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

I had to take the front springs to firestone and use thier spring compressor for the front springs and shocks (helps to have a brother that works there) but the rest I did myself. It's a slow work in progress. It also depends on how confident you are about working on your rig and how much you want to tackle. I would say get some buddies and work on it, its a great learning experience and you have a vast amount of knowlegde from yotatech community to answer any ?'s you got.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

That sounds like a plan to me.
Have a shop assemble the new springs & Struts but as for that do the rest.
Sounds good.
Cause I really would love to do this job myself, anything I can get a one up on my own rig compared to a Toyota Tech (trust me the ones around here are just stupid it seems.....) then I am happy.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by saulgoode
I had to take the front springs to firestone and use thier spring compressor for the front springs and shocks (helps to have a brother that works there) but the rest I did myself. It's a slow work in progress. It also depends on how confident you are about working on your rig and how much you want to tackle. I would say get some buddies and work on it, its a great learning experience and you have a vast amount of knowlegde from yotatech community to answer any ?'s you got.
Not to mention the feeling of accomplishment you get after looking at your lifted rig that you did is something you cannot mention.