Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Do you guys call your 4Runner a "truck?"

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I call it both a car and a truck, because it takes too long to explain to people that yes, it is a truck, as it has a truck frame and is very similar to a pickup. Much faster to just swallow my pride and call it a car. I also hate the term "ute," and especially "sport ute," and especially when it is said on any show on Speed channel or TNN. The guys in charge of saying "sport ute" always make it sound so f@cking retarded. I try to hit mute if I can get to it in time, it just drives me nuts...sport UTE this, sport UTE that...wtf is an "ute?" and why do you have to pronounce it like that? I hate the freaking inflection on the U, so it's like OOT....seriously it pisses me off.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:02 PM

I call it a truck out of habit.... for the last 9 yrs, Ive had pick-up trucks. I got the 4Runner when the family out-grew the Taco x-tra cab.
I'm getting better @ calling it a "rig". The way I see it, "rig" is a word that describes a useful, broad application tool.
Should we start calling them "UBAT's"? Just to keep a little distance between us and the soccer moms??
Old 04-15-2003, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

i normally call it a truck, its just easier that way. or sometimes i will call it "the run" thats always pretty easy too, right to the point.

-Casey
Old 04-15-2003, 07:33 PM

Truck, probably out of habit since we sold the F150.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:33 PM

I call it a truck since 4Runner or SUV is just to darn long to say.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by HBoss
LOL.

I would call it a truck because saying SUV is 3 syllables. Normally I just say "the 4Runner" and people think it's funny that I refer to it by name. But if someone must argue about it w/me, I let them win because I don't really care much about what they call it. Some ppl call it a Pathfinder by accident too, and I don't care enough to correct them.

The correct way to refer to the 4Runner is simply too lengthy. This is what it really is: It's the most amazing, comfortable, useful and reliable vehicle I've ever had the pleasure of driving.

Use that in your sentence.

"I just have to run downstairs for a sec. I forgot my tools in the most amazing, comfortable, useful and reliable vehicle I've ever had the pleasure of driving. Be right back."

As you can see, this is just inconvenient.
People call mine a Heep sometimes
Old 04-15-2003, 07:40 PM

See why I call mine "turtle". Get great looks from people when they hear: "Let's go in the turtle to the store."

Avoids all that silly "SUV" confusion.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Truck. It's built on a truck frame and shares the front suspension of the truck.

If you put a ferrari body on a truck frame does that make it a ferrari? Nope.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Actually this is interesting...anyone in Illinois feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

When you go to register your 4Runner in Illinois, you will get a normal car license plate, however, if you were to register a Tacoma...you would get a red "Truck" plate....

Mike
Old 04-15-2003, 09:25 PM

I hated going to the toyota dealerships and saying i was looking for a truck because they always directed me to the tacomas. Then i had to correct them and say 4runners. "oh SUV's" Then they show me 4runners AND Rav4s... Now a Rav4 by no means in a truck. I think you could fit a Rav4 in the bed of a Tundra. Then a little over the way, i could see the Sequoias. Now is that an SUV or a truck. If i had one i'd call it a Super SUV.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by XtremeOff-Road
Actually this is interesting...anyone in Illinois feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

When you go to register your 4Runner in Illinois, you will get a normal car license plate, however, if you were to register a Tacoma...you would get a red "Truck" plate....

Mike
that's the same with CA. SUVs are considered passenger cars here.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm all screwed up. I post about my two cars on other boards, so when I came here I referred to the 'Runner as a car by habit. Not for long, though, when I realized that most everyone here is into their TRUCKS. Now I try to call it a truck, even in public. Thanks for not flaming an ignorant noob.

Strange thing about Oregon is the "what the hell" attitude at DMV. When I registered my last Land Cruiser, the humanoid life-form behind the counter scrunched up her face and scribbled "Wagon" on the registration. Same reaction with the Sequoia, which was a new name at the time. Cretin seemed to get a headache and scribbled "SUV". I just now looked at the 'Runner registration and it says "Pickup". And that was after dealing with the Supervisor who gave me all kinds of grief about getting part of the last VIN digit outside of the box. Not that I don't like DMV or anything.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:09 PM

Here in Indiana, it is the same, but SUV's can also have ared truck plate. It has something to do with the weight of your truck. I have seen some Runner's with em too. and I was going to get one, but I think they are more expensive.

Also, if you have a "truck" plate, the driver is legally allowed to drive without a seatbelt on. don't know why though...

btw, I call it a truck, and I won't ever stop calling it that!
Old 04-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

I drive a truck

or i call it the runner some times

but normaly its my truck, never my SUV
Old 04-16-2003, 12:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Truck" it is!

Actually, when my GF and I first got together she used to blow me a lot of crap about referring to it as a truck. She said, "no, _I_ drive a truck" (she drives a '94 C1500).

Two years down the road, and now it's... "Can I take your truck dear?".

Old 04-16-2003, 04:49 AM
Contributing Member

Runner, Truck, Rig. I hate when someone refers to it as a JEEP. :pat:
Old 04-16-2003, 05:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
truck, and yes soooo many chicks always try and correct me. I let them win until we start dating....lol I never used the truck frame example however.

[cartman voie] And I agree SUV = yuppy, soccer mom, tree hugging hippie! I hate hippies! [/cartman voice]
Old 04-16-2003, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Well, the 4Runner is one of the very few TRUCKS left. Most other SUV'S are all on car frames!!! It's a truck.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mpulver
Actually, when my GF and I first got together she used to blow me a lot
And then I married her. Ah, memories.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

What a SETUP!!! It doesn't get much better than that....

Quick Reply: Do you guys call your 4Runner a "truck?"