Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Disabling the door buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I found the side affect, the dome light doesn't go on when the door is open, so the door open sensor has two functions, buzzer and dome light. I can live without the dome light on since you can always manually turn it on. You can decide if you need the dome light...
Old 08-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

spaugh, let me get this right. If i disconnect the 'small plug' you talking about, then the open door buzzer (keys in ignition) goes away, right? But does it still have a countinous buzz if your lights are left on? I'm about to go back outside and start over.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rocket
spaugh, let me get this right. If i disconnect the 'small plug' you talking about, then the open door buzzer (keys in ignition) goes away, right? But does it still have a countinous buzz if your lights are left on? I'm about to go back outside and start over.
My truck doesn't have the lights on buzzer, but yes, my $1,000,000 worth of college lead me to believe that the door open and light on would absolutely use different sensors and these two sensors are "OR'd" together and the out put of that or is the buzzer. Sounds like the japanese got even fancier and modulated the door open signal as oposed to the light on sensor, but Ill just leave that one alone. Try it, it takes about one minute, and the panel doesn't even have screws, just pulls right off.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by spaugh
My truck doesn't have the lights on buzzer, but yes, my $1,000,000 worth of college lead me to believe that the door open and light on would absolutely use different sensors and these two sensors are "OR'd" together and the out put of that or is the buzzer. Sounds like the japanese got even fancier and modulated the door open signal as oposed to the light on sensor, but Ill just leave that one alone. Try it, it takes about one minute, and the panel doesn't even have screws, just pulls right off.
are you sure about your lights? you have the same year 4runner as i do.

If i push in the door sensor (button) it disables both the door being open (ding-ding) and my lights being left on (buzzzzz). I'm thinking if i pull the plug on the sensor than my light warning will go too. Anyhow, i'm going to try it now and see what happens.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member

Well i just did it but the warning light buzzer goes away. The dome light still works if you open the rear doors but not the fronts. Theres got to be another way.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
after reading all of this, my humble opinion is that leif's method is the best
Old 08-18-2006, 05:06 AM

I removed the key sensor and all the bells stopped. Just unscrew it and tywrap it out of the way. Very easy. Side effect, you can lock the keys in the car now. Solution, hide a key somewhere on the outside.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:56 AM

All you have to do is disconnect a 2 wire harness near the ignition. learned this on ttora site a while back. i forgot what color the wires were on my 98 runner. no more ding. i'll post later after i check to see what color they are. sorry, i don't have digi cam to take pic of it. nothing else is affected, dome light stays on when door open, even green light where you put key in still works, and loud buzz still works when you forget to turn off the headlights.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

I guess mine prabably does have the light sensor, just not now that the door one has been removed. Doesn't really matter to me, I don't leave my lights on, knock on wood. I guess I will try the key sensor trick now though.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:16 PM

sorry, i was mistaken, on my 98 runner it's a 4 wire harness, not 2 wire, next to ignition. the wire colors are: (2) white/black, (1)blue/red, and (1) pink/black. i'm assuming it would be the same for 96-98 runners?
Old 08-18-2006, 03:05 PM

Its in a small circuit board behind the fuse box under dash on the taco.If I remember right there is a cover that snaps on the front of the box itself.Pop the little cover off and there will be a small circuit board that plugs in.Pull the little board out.All you have to do is heat up the prongs sticking thru the circuit board and pull the buzzer out.Takes about 30 minutes to do the whole thing..Of course pull the positive and negative battery cables for insurance.I have done it on both of mine.

Last edited by rugerm44; 08-18-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:28 PM

On my 2000 their was a 2-wire connection under the ignition key tumbler. Once you pull the bottom panel off the dash you can see it. Pull it out and the ding stops. It turned off the light warning too, but my lights turn off automaticly when i open the door. Maybe you should upgrade your older 4runner so it has this feature.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CruJones
All you have to do is disconnect a 2 wire harness near the ignition. learned this on ttora site a while back. i forgot what color the wires were on my 98 runner. no more ding. i'll post later after i check to see what color they are. sorry, i don't have digi cam to take pic of it. nothing else is affected, dome light stays on when door open, even green light where you put key in still works, and loud buzz still works when you forget to turn off the headlights.
Originally Posted by CruJones
sorry, i was mistaken, on my 98 runner it's a 4 wire harness, not 2 wire, next to ignition. the wire colors are: (2) white/black, (1)blue/red, and (1) pink/black. i'm assuming it would be the same for 96-98 runners?
Welcome to YT and thank you for posting! You have said exactly what i would love to have happen....ALL other functions work except for the door ding. If that is true, then i bet the 'harness near the ignition' is the same on all '96-'98 4runners. Now i just have to find it. If this works, i'll pull my Q-tip out.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Banned

Welcome to YT and thank you for posting! You have said exactly what i would love to have happen....ALL other functions work except for the door ding. If that is true, then i bet the 'harness near the ignition' is the same on all '96-'98 4runners. Now i just have to find it. If this works, i'll pull my Q-tip out.
if it works the way he's describing that would be awesome...
Old 08-20-2006, 11:02 AM

rocket,

so did you do this?

bob
Old 08-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Not yet. We've had an on/off drizzle the last couple nights and tonight is looking to be the same. I hate working when it's wet outside. The coming days ahead though are forecasted to be nice and sunny.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

To each their own, but I've never had that big a problem with the buzzer. If I'm working on my truck in such a way that I need the key in the ignition, and the door open, I just throw a piece of electrical tape over the button switch on the door jamb.

If I want music from the stereo, I roll the windows down, and shut the door! Quite good enough for the campsite or picnic, IMHO.

Although I'm very good about remembering things like keys and lights, I don't mind the reminder on those occasions when I've forgotten them (think long drive in bad weather - you turn your lights on to be seen - weather clears, and you forget that you had them on). It sure beats the hell out of locking yourself out, or killing your battery!

Easy hint for preventing lock-out -- always carry TWO keys to the rig you are driving. One to use, and one as a back-up. I developed this habit in my pizza delivery days, so that I could leave the truck running, locked and WARM in the winter, and have been doing it ever since.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

^ thats nice, but it don't help.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:49 PM

Well, I gave it a try and unplugged that four wire harness. It's really easy to find, and all you'll need is a 10mm socket to get the two right hand bolts out and go from there. 3 minutes and it's done and back together. So far, it's only positive results. I still have that obnoxious sound when you leave your headlights on, which could have saved my battery a couple of times on my last car if it was loud like this... The dome light still turns on when the door is open, and the radio and clock still turn on when in ACC, and the truck still starts more importantly. It's an easy fix if I find something wrong, only thing it doesn't do is make the noise when you leave your key in there (obviously!). Looks good to me .

Last edited by petros; 08-20-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by petros
Well, I gave it a try and unplugged that four wire harness. It's really easy to find, and all you'll need is a 10mm socket to get the two right hand bolts out and go from there. 3 minutes and it's done and back together. So far, it's only positive results. I still have that obnoxious sound when you leave your headlights on, which could have saved my battery a couple of times on my last car if it was loud like this... The dome light still turns on when the door is open, and the radio and clock still turn on when in ACC, and the truck still starts more importantly. It's an easy fix if I find something wrong, only thing it doesn't do is make the noise when you leave your key in there (obviously!). Looks good to me .

petros,

please tell me you took a pic! im sure its easy to find, but this forum can't exist w/o pics

bob

Quick Reply: Disabling the door buzzer