YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Denver area guys want to plan ahead-auto tranny milkshake issue

Not my ride affected thank goodness... I am a 5 speed but my former co-worker has an auto tranny and trying to get caught up on maintenance of her tranny and more.

see milkshake thread link:

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/my-milksh...y-yard-207553/

As the weather warms up and summer approaches if you all would want me to host an "auto tranny external cooler day" at my 2 car garage in lovely Commerce City- we should plan ahead. Coordinate best pricing and best cooler to buy and so on. I would guess if three or 4 of us all do this at once we can save some cash and learn from one another.

Tell me if you think this is a non-issue ( I have tilted at windmills before and will likely do so again) but it seems to me it is going to happen to all of you auto tranny guys at some point or another. An ounce of prevention much cheaper than letting it happen and costing a tranny and more. I can learn from you all to help out my friend and am glad to host the event if you like.

I will make my 17 year old son available to be the brains behind my outfit, you gots to supply your own parts and assist with specialty tools...
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
O/M/E shocks- N91s fr/N86 rr
All Pro Off Road welded on sliders
ARB"Taco"bumper/Hella 500s & side markers
Redline Tuning hood struts/Bushwackers
2" 4crawler.com body lift
all my Yota photos are over on Facebook now
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=5795132731
Ron Helmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

RON DAVIS--build ubber bad ass radiators--but you are looking at $600 for a radiator.......but it will probably be the last one you ever buy
Yes, I said "country." America really is a nation, but you couldn't convince those who lead the Democratic and Republican Parties of that. Both parties now see America as nothing more than an economy, a marketplace, and not a sovereign nation. They don't see you and me as citizens of this great nation; they see us as units of labor, consumers and taxpayers.

Yes, I am here to collect my 238$ worth of stock from AIG.

"What do you mean a free market economy doesnt apply to the rich?"
hross14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

I am bumping to make you local guys aware of this strawberry milkshake again...seems to me it is just a matter of time for all you guys running the auto trannys-here is thread from over on T4R.org

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...6385-help.html

I am glad to host and learn from you all. My friend does not even know how to change her air filter so I have to be the expert....
Old 05-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's very cool of you to offer that Ron. I can't believe no one took you up on it....
Treadwright Guard Dogs 265/75 -16
B&M 70268 with Magnefine filter
kball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you do it around June 20-30th I'm in. Driving out to CO and have to do my sisters 4runner.
bootown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Simon
I would be interested in this. June 27th works for me. Thanks.

-Simon
Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to CYi5
lol, there should really be an "External Tranny Cooler" section next to the "95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners" section. Sooo many cooler posts
Old 05-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Simon-Sunday June 27th should be just fine. Spread the word around to your other 4Runner buds. This gives everyone enough time to get parts ordered and on hand. I will make my 5 speeder or MR2 available for parts store emergencies.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

confirming the date

Simon you still in? bootown you going to be around?

We're going the radiator replacement route for my lady friend's 01 Limited. Also on the agenda that day are fuel filter, spark plugs, battery post cleanup, air filter replacement.

It's going to be a busy day so I could use some more brains and brawn...she's bringing the snacks and beverages... order up please. I'm a Bacardi and Coke kind of guy myself once the work is done.

Found this Koyo radiator for her via ebay-how much ATF fluid will we need to replace when doing the radiator?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item5887d6a00c

She is bringing Toyota red antifreeze/coolant-2 gallons. The ATF fluid should be Dexron 3 or 4 or specifics please?
O/M/E shocks- N91s fr/N86 rr
All Pro Off Road welded on sliders
ARB"Taco"bumper/Hella 500s & side markers
Redline Tuning hood struts/Bushwackers
2" 4crawler.com body lift
all my Yota photos are over on Facebook now
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=5795132731
Old 06-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia
If Troy and I are in town we might come down. I had an auto tranny put in Tippy as soon as I got her, and as we are building Tippy II (We have a big wrench-a-thon tomorrow to put the tranny cooler in the new Tippy II - also welding on all the armour from Tippy I) http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158530

Troy and I are pretty experienced with 2nd gen transmission maintenance...

Get your 4x4 TOYOTA VIDEO pr0n here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Best and cheapest are mutually exclusive. You can have the best, or you can have the cheapest, but you cannot have both.
Lysmachia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

bring it

would be a pleasure to meet you at last. The more the merrier and another female would help ease some wrenching anxiety...-ahhh that probably did not come out quite right- I think you know what I am saying...

stay in touch and private message if you like for exact address of my lovely Commerce City estate....
Attached Thumbnails
Denver area guys want to plan ahead-auto tranny milkshake issue-0110-4runner-lift-meet-shon-duhockey-008.jpg  
Old 06-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia
I know exactly what you are saying. Not to play a gender card, but for some reason I seem to be more approachable by folks new to wheeling because I'm female. Who knew?

Quote:
Best and cheapest are mutually exclusive. You can have the best, or you can have the cheapest, but you cannot have both.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Too bad I live in Cali. I'd be right there to replace the radiator along with you. Thanks for posting the radiator link too, I'll be getting the same one. Let me know how much A/T fluid you put back in after you replaced it. Wish I lived closer!
97 4runner SR5 ARB bumper, M8000 winch, Custom rear bumper w/ tire carrier, 4.30's, E-Locker Retrofit, Tepui Kukenam Rooftop Tent, Hiflow exaust, ISR/deckplate mod, Trail Gear sliders, Hayden tranny cooler, JDM Field Monitor Unit, Bilstein 5125's, OME 861 Coils, Toytec Coilovers, Camburg UCA's, 1" Toytec BL, 305 X 70 BFG KM2's on rock crawler wheels
perssonmotorsports.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by malteserunner View Post
Strawberry milkshakes are tasty.
stockwell45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ron,
They are up to dexron 6 now I believe, but it is backwards compatable. No idea on the amount, I did a drain and fill at the same time I did the radiator and used like 6 quarts I think. Good luck with your service day.
GN-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ron,
I agree this is cool of you to offer. I will be out of town, or I would join you just to help out. I went the external cooler route a couple of months ago. I would say you should only need 1 or 2 quarts of ATF. When I was swapping lines hardly anything drained out, you should just replace what is in the rad/cooler.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYi5 View Post
lol, there should really be an "External Tranny Cooler" section next to the "95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners" section. Sooo many cooler posts
I agree this should have be a sticky thread!!!

And yes this is very cool that you are offering. I need to get my auto done.
ISFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

thanks for all the inputs. I will have my friend watch for Dexron VI. Good info.

Hopefully it will stop raining before then. It gets cloudy here for 2 days in a row and the whole Front Range gets grumpy. Good free car wash and rinse weather.

a recent hail event on Friday PM then tornado in the area at 2am Saturday
Attached Thumbnails
Denver area guys want to plan ahead-auto tranny milkshake issue-0611-hail-event-house-006.jpg  
Old 06-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Yeah this rain is getting OLD!

Quote:
Old 06-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

see if Molly is getting crabby then we're all in for it....
Old 06-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Contributing Member

I'm more crabby cuz we couldn't take Tippy II out for her first run today. Not a good idea to do spring creek inthe rain/snow without my winch and 2 almost bald tires. Not to mention Troy went to the ER last night b/c of metal in his eye. His eye is still all swolen.

Quote:
Old 06-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1999, 4runner, auto, blog, connections, denver, limited, milk, milkshake, radiator, replaced, shake, trannie, trannies, tranny