Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Deckplate: stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by X-AWDriver
So,if I go with the AMS Oil filter,can you get it at any parts store or do I order it on-line?
you gotta order it.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Bob, Gadget, and some other guys are Amsoil dealers. Good guys to work with.

That K&N is good for about $45 on ebay, which will more than cover the cost of the Amsoil filter.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

I think I'll cave to the peer pressure and get the AMS filter since it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'll be nice and give my K&N to my mom and she can put it into her 2000 Limited which she won't be doing the deckplate mod or anything else. I've even offered to do a few easy things for her but she's paranoid of anything that deviates from stock plus the only dirt her's will ever see is the sand they lay on the roads in the winter.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

do the dyno runs

I would say do the dyno runs anyway, especially if they are free. I want to see more results comparing k&n and amsoil and deckplate vs. no deckplate. I realize it has been done, but lets see repeatable data from a different source. I've got a 5" deckplate with an Amsoil filter, and a buddy with the same truck with a K&N and soon to have a 5" deckplate. It would be cool to have more data on who's pushing more horsepower! Like you can notice a 3-5 hp difference anyway.......

PS compare the aftermarket filters to stock filters, with/without deckplate. I think more data concerning that would be the most beneficial. Again, I realize this has been done by others, but I would like to see more data and if it is repeatable.....
us damn engineers and our numbers fixation.....

Last edited by ewarnerusa; 09-26-2003 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

I think I'll cave to the peer pressure and get the AMS filter since it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'll be nice and give my K&N to my mom and she can put it into her 2000 Limited which she won't be doing the deckplate mod or anything else. I've even offered to do a few easy things for her but she's paranoid of anything that deviates from stock plus the only dirt her's will ever see is the sand they lay on the roads in the winter.
You could go for the elbow removal mod that Bob 98SR5 has a write up for. It's in the tech section here and also on his site:

http://www.4runners.org

It's quick, it's easy and reversable (so I've heard)
Old 09-26-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
You could go for the elbow removal mod that Bob 98SR5 has a write up for. It's in the tech section here and also on his site:

http://www.4runners.org

It's quick, it's easy and reversable (so I've heard)
Yeup to all 3!
Old 09-26-2003, 08:45 PM

...and free, and dyno proven unlike so much other crap...

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Have you done the dyno yet, X-AWDriver?

X-AWDriver,

Have you had a chance to do any dyno runs comparing deckplate open to deckplate closed on an otherwise stock 3.4L (not supercharged)? I am really curious to see actual numbers on this. After a few tanks of gas, I'm not really convinced my deckplate is giving me anything other than a louder engine after about 3500rpms. It would be cool if I was pinned to the seat, but I'm definitely not....
Old 10-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Contributing Member

Right now I'm waiting til the next dyno day our car club has which might not be till next month.

Realistically you just can't feel a 8whp increase with your Butt-dyno. Even with my Eclipse gaining an estimated 20whp with intake and catback I really didn't notice much more than noise but it did translate to a half a second in the 1/4.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Have you done the dyno yet, X-AWDriver?

Originally posted by ewarnerusa
After a few tanks of gas, I'm not really convinced my deckplate is giving me anything other than a louder engine after about 3500rpms. It would be cool if I was pinned to the seat, but I'm definitely not....
Well, 5HP is never gonna pin you to the seat!
Old 10-10-2003, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: Have you done the dyno yet, X-AWDriver?

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Well, 5HP is never gonna pin you to the seat!
I'm exaggerating, of course. but I'm not sure if the noise is worth the small power gain. I guess my decision on it should be based on my own preference. But engineers just love numbers, you know.... I've seen plenty of dyno results with the small power gains, but they are always on supercharged engines. I have read that in lower rpms with non s/c, there is actually a power loss with an open deckplate. but of course, no numbers just butt dynos...
Old 10-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Usually several mods add up to being worth it then just one mod alone adn with some free breathing mods add up to positive gas mileage too. I figure with a full exhaust (headers,x over pipe) and intake you could see about 20whp and that would be some nice #s short of a supercharger.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Usually several mods add up to being worth it then just one mod alone adn with some free breathing mods add up to positive gas mileage too. I figure with a full exhaust (headers,x over pipe) and intake you could see about 20whp and that would be some nice #s short of a supercharger.
Yup, it's just all about the funds. I almost had the TRD headers installed when I bought it, but some sort of financial worries led me not to.

Off-topic, I hear that A Basin is opening already? With some others on the way. Is that true?
Old 10-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

I think you can get steel headers from PP for half of what the TRD cost and the X-over pipe is only $135.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:00 AM

Re: Have you done the dyno yet, X-AWDriver?

Originally posted by ewarnerusa
X-AWDriver,

Have you had a chance to do any dyno runs comparing deckplate open to deckplate closed on an otherwise stock 3.4L (not supercharged)? I am really curious to see actual numbers on this. After a few tanks of gas, I'm not really convinced my deckplate is giving me anything other than a louder engine after about 3500rpms. It would be cool if I was pinned to the seat, but I'm definitely not....
Someone on Tacoma Territory dyno tested the deck plate thing on a N/A truck. You might want to check the NE chapter. They have lots of good info there.

N/A, supercharged or what ever, the dyno consistantly shows about 6 HP with either the deck plate or the elbow out.

I know you are coming along kind of new in the game, but all this was answered years ago with hard numbers from several different people.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah,I'm a noob while the info isn't.

So,does the elbow mod and the deckplate produce the same together as they do individually? Do you do the deckplate mod for the purpose of being able to close it off as opposed to the elbow?
Old 10-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

I did the deckplate and the elbow mod, but didn't notice a combined HP difference. In fact, I should just put my snorkel back on when I get a chance.

I was thinking that the colder air would help some...I dunno, maybe it did in certain situations, but you cant feel it.

One or the other is the way to go. The only benefit I see is when you put the deckplate in, the 5HP will still be there.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 10-10-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:21 PM

One or the other is the way to go. The only benefit I see is when you put the deckplate in, the 5HP will still be there.
I am just wondering, why if you had the elbow out would you want to put the deck plate in?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Gadget
I am just wondering, why if you had the elbow out would you want to put the deck plate in?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
For off-roading.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:29 PM

For off-roading.
OK, I still do not understand why you would put the deck plate in if you still have the elbow out. I just don't understand. Help me out if you can.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com

Quick Reply: Deckplate: stupid question