Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Deckplate: stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rather have larger objects like pebbles and such to hit the screen instead of my $60 filter (also don't want crap to be sitting in the airbox) plus who sees the mod anyway unless you point it out and I'm using nice gloss black metal screen and won't look too bad for those who notice.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: No need

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
No need for the screen, that is what the filter is for, to stop stuff. The screen looks like a PITA to put on anyway since there is really no need for it. IMHO

Brian
Agreed. I've had mine done for two years and never really had any kind of build up at all.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by X-AWDriver
I rather have larger objects like pebbles and such to hit the screen instead of my $60 filter (also don't want crap to be sitting in the airbox) plus who sees the mod anyway unless you point it out and I'm using nice gloss black metal screen and won't look too bad for those who notice.
Where the hell did you get a $60 filter from?? My amsoil only costed me 35 bucks!
Old 09-25-2003, 08:00 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
Where the hell did you get a $60 filter from?? My amsoil only costed me 35 bucks!
Pebbles hitting your air filter. Dang dude, where are you driving!!??

As far as a $60 air filter, I agree with Toyo_Runner96, that must be a made out of gold K&N that doesn't work as well as a $35 Amsoil.

Hope the deckplate mod goes well. You will like it!

Brian
Old 09-25-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Yep,the K&N cost me $57 bucks at Checkers. I've used a AMS foam filter on my turbo eclipse and after a few years and about 18 cleanings it was starting to come apart which is detrimental to a turbo and will destroy one so I'm just not a big fan of foam filters.
I'm sure my 3.4 isn't sucking in air like a turbo so I'm sure a foam filter is fine but I've already got the K&N so I'll stick with it plus with a million mile/10 year warranty I doubt I'll have problems.

I will be doing some dyno runs so I'll run the K&N and then run the AMS foam filter (I have a friend who'll let me snag his) and then run no filter with the deckplate out of course and I'll post the results along with some 1/4 mile times if I get to the strip before it closes.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:04 AM

I will be doing some dyno runs so I'll run the K&N and then run the AMS foam filter (I have a friend who'll let me snag his) and then run no filter with the deckplate out of course and I'll post the results along with some 1/4 mile times if I get to the strip before it closes.
wow, I'll be looking forward to the results!

Just make sure both filters are clean for optimal performance.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was already done. Amsoil wins in the 4Runner.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

I will be doing some dyno runs so... then run ... and then run no filter ... along with some 1/4 mile times if I get to the strip before it closes.
You plan on getting a dyno done and running the 1/4 mile in a 1 micron filtered clean room or something? I wouldn't do this if I were you.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not gonna run the 1/4 with no filter but on the dyno no filter is no big deal for a 15 second pull or two. I know guys who run at the strip with no filter on a turbo car;I wouldn't do it but it's done on a lot of turbo race cars with no ill effects and since turbos are much more intolerable to dirt particles vs an NA motor I don't think a dyno pull is gonna hurt anything.
I've been racing a turbo car for almost 8 years so I do know a bit about engines and such.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

I've been racing a turbo car for almost 8 years so I do know a bit about engines and such.
That being said I'll be interested in the results seeing as how I have been planning to reverse my isr and I haven't done the deckplate due to mixed feelings about it.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Most filters flow so well I really doubt I'll see even a one horsepower increase with no filter. My friend ran a AMS filter that he custom made on his Eclipse and it dynoed just 1.6hp less than with no filter which the discrepance could have just been the temperature between runs and with that little of difference I don't see why people run no filter at the strip,with a turbo (or supercharger) I wouldn't even chance it.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

No filter, K&N, what's the difference in filtration anyway?
Old 09-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

I ran a K&N with my turbo for almost three years and the turbine fins looked fine and if it wasn't filtering you'd definetly know with a turbo since there the clearance between the blades and the housing is pretty much nil.

What's up with the bad rap with K&Ns or is everybody just sucking up to popular opinion? I will be checking my filter really regularly and if it's not performing well then I may give foam another chance but in the mean time I'll stick with the K&N.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I am obviously exaggerating. Unfortunately, I speak from experience with the K&N. The seal and the filtration really sucks (no pun intended) with a drop in K&N on the 5VZ.

Here in the desert, with the type of off-roading I do, I'm just not gonna chance it. Too much dust here!
Old 09-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

I guess it can be hit and miss but I'll take your case seriously and really pay attention to the filter since I am a stickler about reliability on my vehicles.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

I feel the same as <96>.

I wouldn't chance it even just cranking it up in the shop here. besides, like you said, the gain won't even be noticeable. so why even run a dyno for all the options? waste of money in my opinion, unless it's free or something.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:38 PM

This has already been done by myself and many others. I can save you the trouble and tell you how it ends.

Some dyno test show the AMSOIL slightly ahead, and others the K&N slightly ahead and if you average all the different dyno runs they come out equal. Now that was comparing clean filters. Let the K&N start to get just a tad dirty and flow through falls off quickly. The AMSOIL by its design and its depth can hold a lot more dirt before performance is degraded. So in the long run and real world use AMSOIL comes out ahead.

AMSOIL is also a better filter. Just take a K&N hold it up to the Sun and see if you can count high enough to count all the holes you will see that are much larger then the dust particals you want filtered out. Then hold the AMSOIL up to the Sun and count no see through holes. AMSOIL is the better filter for filtration.

Now compare cost. There is no comparison. AMSOIL runs about half the price of the K&N when you compare full retail prices.

I have the dyno runs I did on my site. No, I will not ever use a K&N ever again.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 09-25-2003, 06:51 PM

Gadget,

Don't forget how great the k&n seats to the inside of the air box on a 3.4air box.(sarcasam) After about the tenth time it let dust past my filter and into my maf sensor causing the check engine light to come on. I pulled it out and tossed it in the corner!
Old 09-25-2003, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
waste of money in my opinion, unless it's free or something.

It's free.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

So,if I go with the AMS Oil filter,can you get it at any parts store or do I order it on-line?

Quick Reply: Deckplate: stupid question