Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Daytime Running lights ..anyone try this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Daytime Running lights ..anyone try this?

Hey, Search is not working... and I want to know if anyone has tried to change the DRLs from the headlights to the corner wedge lights? I have to go through military gates where they yell at me every day because I have my lights on and can't turn them off ( I could disable then through the mod ya'll talk about) but I want DRLs..I sort of like them..just wish they were my amber sides..
Old 01-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

I remember another thread on this but don't seem to remember the end results - I vaguely remember someone claiming to have figured it out but don't remember.

Here's a bump for you in case he/she is reading.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Parking?

Yeah, the issue I see with that is the ambers are your parking lights. Lots of people choose to drive around with these on when its meant to suggest that you are parked. Not a big deal on highways ect but isn't that why there are called parking lights? Its a good idea you got but it wouldn't pass here in VA where there is annual safety inspection. They are pretty anal about the lights(fog switches ect.).
Old 01-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

good point,
but, arn't the new 4th gen runners DRLs the amber lights?
Old 01-14-2004, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the wiring diagram for your vehicle, I am sure it is easily done.
Somewhere the headlight circuit recieves power in the on key position....just switch it to ambers.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:25 PM

I just replaced my amber bulbs with clear white ones..Pretty badass if you ask me.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

MD

Nice avatar Bitchaas. Fear the turtle with the white bulbs. I'm a undercover Terp here in Cavalier country. Carolina cant handle that!

Last edited by phosho; 01-14-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:46 AM
CTB

Re: MD

Originally posted by phosho
Nice avatar Bitchaas. Fear the turtle with the white bulbs. I'm a undercover Terp here in Cavalier country. Carolina cant handle that!
Too bad neither of y'all can handle the Tigers!

(that was a joke, except we did take FSU the other night...somehow!)
Old 01-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

I might try to make my corners my signal lights and the signals the DRLs..any thoughts?

bump..bump
Old 01-15-2004, 07:21 AM
ed2

Turning the DLR's off is contained in Toyota Tech. Serv. Bulletin #EL011-00. I found this TSB searching the FAQ section of Tacomaterritory.com. I put my '00 4R's DLR's on a simple dash mounted on/off switch instead of disabling them completely. Now I have them when I need them [operating in Canada...and Cavalier Co. Carolina: I see?] and can shut them off when I don't. Seems the best of both worlds to me.
Under the 4Runner Topsites, J.A. has a diagram to rewire the fog lights so they can be operated with the parking lights instead of the headlights only method. This would let you disable/switch the headligts and use the fog lights as DLR's, just another possible option. I do not know how to wire the parking lights as DLR's. I wonder if there would be a back-feeding electrical problem, maybe not?
GOD bless...

phosho What's a "Terp"?
Old 01-15-2004, 07:27 AM

ya man, the clear lights in the clear corner makes truck look much cleaner, too bad its illegal in CA. Havent got pulled over for it yet.

Old 01-15-2004, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ed2
Turning the DLR's off is contained in Toyota Tech. Serv. Bulletin #EL011-00. I found this TSB searching the FAQ section of Tacomaterritory.com. I put my '00 4R's DLR's on a simple dash mounted on/off switch instead of disabling them completely. Now I have them when I need them [operating in Canada...and Cavalier Co. Carolina: I see?] and can shut them off when I don't. Seems the best of both worlds to me.
Under the 4Runner Topsites, J.A. has a diagram to rewire the fog lights so they can be operated with the parking lights instead of the headlights only method. This would let you disable/switch the headligts and use the fog lights as DLR's, just another possible option. I do not know how to wire the parking lights as DLR's. I wonder if there would be a back-feeding electrical problem, maybe not?
GOD bless...

phosho What's a "Terp"?
thanks bud, I'll have to look that up
Old 01-15-2004, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by phatride4ever
ya man, the clear lights in the clear corner makes truck look much cleaner, too bad its illegal in CA. Havent got pulled over for it yet.

clears are legal here in Texas..I have the clears but I have the amber bulbs in them..I like the orange glow they give off..
I would rather them be the DRLs.. it seems like all the new cars do not have the headlights as DRLs but some sort of other light..
I am just getting sick of getting yelled at going through the gate...they do not believe me that I can not turn them off with a switch..
Old 01-15-2004, 08:17 AM

Take a peek in the Tech section here. Someone posted the whole procedure pictures for disconnecting the DRL's pictures and all. It looks very simple.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Right, I know about that..
but, I do not want to clip a wire to get rid of them..I want to move them from the headlampt to either the signals or the corner lights..
thanks though
Old 01-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

DRL's

Here is a consideration. Disable the DRL as per the tech section write-up then check this link from Gadgets site and install the "Goodwrench Day Time Running Lights" unit to the corners.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/light.htm

Note the 4th paragraph in the write up. (Military Bases)

Last edited by phosho; 01-15-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Re: DRL's

Originally posted by phosho
Here is a consideration. Disable the DRL as per the tech section write-up then check this link from Gadgets site and install the "Goodwrench Day Time Running Lights" unit to the corners.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/light.htm

Note the 4th paragraph in the write up. (Military Bases)
I think thats what I might need
thank you for looking it up for me

anyone else besides gadget try it?
Old 01-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to get through the gate, try pulling slightly on the parking brake. I believe that will shut off the DRL.

The TSB for disableing the DRL does not show for the 2001, only 2000.

The 2001 headlight/DRL wiring diagram has a lot of wiring and relays and electronic modules. Will they go out if you pull the DRL fuse (in the left side of engine compartment...7.5 amp fuse)? Then use the aftermarket kit for the corners?

Last edited by Yoda; 01-15-2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Yoda
Just to get through the gate, try pulling slightly on the parking brake. I believe that will shut off the DRL.

The TSB for disableing the DRL does not show for the 2001, only 2000.

The 2001 headlight/DRL wiring diagram has a lot of wiring and relays and electronic modules. Will they go out if you pull the DRL fuse (in the left side of engine compartment...7.5 amp fuse)? Then use the aftermarket kit for the corners?
They must have changed the Ebrake thing...because that will not turn mine off
I might try the fuse ..
Old 01-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

My 02 Tacoma will do what Yoda mentioned but only if I start the engine and click the e-brake a few times BEFORE I put it in gear.

If you wait until afterwards it's not gonna work.

The downside to this is that the "BRAKE" sign stays on so you won't know if you have a legitimate problem on your hands.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running lights ..anyone try this?