Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Coolant Leak...????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Leak...????

ok guys...i have a coolant leak. it seems to drip from right above where the skid plate and a arm kinda meet....any ideas on what could be leaking??? i drive a 1990 V6 4Runner.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Coolant Leak...????

Originally posted by metal22lica
ok guys...i have a coolant leak. it seems to drip from right above where the skid plate and a arm kinda meet....any ideas on what could be leaking??? i drive a 1990 V6 4Runner.
that's kind of far over to the side. not being familiar with that engine I would guess water pump or a hose. if it's oozing down the side of the block then I would say it's a little more major.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

ok guys..it looks like it is coming some where from the water pump/thermostat area...maybe just a gasket or something? any ideas on how much to fix??
Old 09-27-2003, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's where mine was leaking, I ended up buying a new waterpump. My leak was really peculiar, it would only leak when the engine was warm and not running, and not when hot or cold. My guess is unless it's leaking out of the hoses, you might need another pump. I'm no expert though.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:27 PM

Yeah, when mine was leaking in that area it was the waterpump. Could be something else leaking on yours though.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

how much will the water pump cost to replace??
Old 09-28-2003, 11:39 AM

I had a small leak after changing my hoses that was in the same area. It was fluid getting past the lower hose clamp and running down the hose before it dripped. Hope yours is as easy a fix as this.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

any ideas on how much it cost to replace the waterpump??
Old 09-29-2003, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

any ideas on how much it cost to replace the waterpump??
you gonna try to do it yourself? if not it might be kind of costly. you might call the stealership and get a quote.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:13 PM

You should probably consider changing your timing belt and upper bearing (around coolant outlet) at the same time. You'll have it all open to do the water pump.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Victor
You should probably consider changing your timing belt and upper bearing (around coolant outlet) at the same time. You'll have it all open to do the water pump.
good point. since, if the stealership does it, they will more than likely drain coolant all over the timing belt anyway.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by keisur
good point. since, if the stealership does it, they will more than likely drain coolant all over the timing belt anyway.
Ok Ok, why would you ASSume that trained technicians who work on these things every day would do something as stupid as dumping coolant all over someone's timing belt? That sounds like something that would happen at a place called Billy's Back Yard Barbecue and Auto Repair. I work for a dealer (we're not all thieves) and am of the opinion that you get what you pay for. Call a plumber or electrician and see what their rates are. I take great pride in my work and my ability to fix a customer's vehicle right the first time. If for some reason I don't, I'll make it right -- period. It's for these reasons I have regular customers including one (who recently relocated) who is bringing her car 8 hours one way for me to do her timing belt and major service. By the way, I fixed her warranty concerns (oil consumption) and earned her trust. With your mindset, I'm surprised you drive a Toyota and not a Hyundai.

Incidentally, the leak does sound like it's coming from the water pump area. It's usually the sealer which bonds the pump to the block that actually leaks, and not the pump itself. If you're going to fix it, you're better to just replace the pump and be done with it because it's not exactly easy to get to. The pump is not cheap, and unfortunately the job isn't either unless you can do it yourself. The dealer will likely charge between $400 and $500 for the repair. Have the timing belt replaced at the same time, since it is removed anyway. Sometimes if the dealer has a timing belt coupon, it is actually cheaper to do it this way since the coupon timing belt job accounts for a good portion of the labor involved. Good luck, I hope its something simple like a hose clamp.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

ok guys....i took it to the shop...and its the water pump. about 450 or so for the water pump and timming chain. man i love my toyota...
Old 10-02-2003, 09:45 AM
CTB

ok guys....i took it to the shop...and its the water pump. about 450 or so for the water pump and timming chain. man i love my toyota...
Having to finally put a water pump on a 1990 year rig isn't a big deal. Trust me...I work in auto garage in the summers, and I have seen 1999 and 2000 year Chevy's and stuff that already need new intake gaskets, new water pumps, and other things like that. A new water pump after 13 years is pretty good!
Old 10-03-2003, 03:28 AM
Contributing Member

yeah...people keep saying i need to sell my truck and get a new one cause it keeps breaking down...but then i tell them my truck is almost as old as they are.....

so what will the new timming belt do? any improvements or just the peace of mind of knowing that it isnt going to break??
Old 10-03-2003, 05:33 AM

Check out http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/v6tbelt/index.html for instuctions.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:13 PM

i think i had the exact same leak as metal22ica and robinhood150.... would only leak sometimes.... dealer was stumped for a day or so.... couldn't get it to leak.... turns out it was a bad waterpump gasket.... so they replaced the water pump.... also had the timing belt and drive belts changed since they were due..... (mileage @ 119K) .... dealer only charged me $300 .... and they even kicked in a 2004 solara loaner.... its good to know the right ppl sometimes...

JQ
Old 11-20-2003, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toyo22R-E
It's for these reasons I have regular customers including one (who recently relocated) who is bringing her car 8 hours one way for me to do her timing belt and major service. By the way, I fixed her warranty concerns (oil consumption) and earned her trust. With your mindset, I'm surprised you drive a Toyota and not a Hyundai.
shear experience with dealers that have touched my vehicle. I understand why she drives 8 hours to you, because you are one of the few that actually do care, and for that I commend you. Really, I wish all the techs took their job as serious as you.

With my mindset? uh, well, I own a Toyota because it's a trusty vehicle that lasts a long time when taken care of. Now why would I own a Hyundai? I just don't see your logic there. With my mindset I fix my own car and never have to worry about finding a needle in a haystack (like you) to fix it because he's the only one I trust. Maybe you could come to Houston and teach the tech's here a thing or two.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

DIY suggestion, take it or leave it:

When I changed the water pump on my Supra, I shopped around a little. I decided to get one from Autozone for $32 versus $27 from DAP, both lifetime warranty, but the Autozone unit was brand new, not rebuilt, and it was made in Japan, by AISIN.

But, don't use the cheap paper water pump gaskets, get one from the dealer, because they actually bake on with the engine heat, and form an awesome seal.

I also use a torque wrench on these bolts, it's important that the torque is equal on all the screws that hold the pump to the block.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:27 PM

Re:Coolant Leak

Keisur, my apologies are in order I guess I did come off a little harsh. I guess what you said about the "stealership" techs draining coolant all over someone's timing belt really hit me wrong. But I do see your point, because I've seen people working at a dealer who (in my humble opinion) really don't belong there. I'm far from perfect but I try to treat other people's vehicles with the same care I would give my own. Ok, as for the Hyundai remark, I thought you were against dealers because they are expensive (as are Toyotas) so why not drive a cheap car? You seem like a cool dude and I'm sorry for the way I came off because when I think about it I can see your side. I've seen people get a lot less than what they pay for (in terms of work quality or technical ability). I really hate to see that because it gives us all a bad name. We're not all thieves...

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak...????