95.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

A Common Rail Turbo Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 12:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Common Rail Turbo Diesel

I'm thinking of trading my 03 for a 04 with a turbo common rail diesel.

I would want to take my tires and everyything else from my currrent truck to the new truck.

What do you think?
Old 11-23-2003, 05:30 AM

It is an invalid poll. Your truck does not have a 5VZ-FE engine.

I do hope you get the diesel so you can let the rest of use know how well it works.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 11-23-2003, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

I'd go for the diesel if you plan on keeping it for a long time. If you go that route you could give it to your son when he turns 16!

The main thing you will be suffering from is poor performace from 0-60. It'll be nearly as slow as the old 3.slow. I think I read on a Toyota site it went from 0-60 at just under 13 seconds. Compare that to your 03. That may help you decide.

If your 03 has enough torque for what you do, and you plan on swapping vehicles within the next year or two, I say keep the one you have. The opportunity to get the diesel sure is interesting though!

Doug
Old 11-23-2003, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Gadget
It is an invalid poll. Your truck does not have a 5VZ-FE engine.

I do hope you get the diesel so you can let the rest of use know how well it works.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
I don't ??????
Old 11-23-2003, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say go for the diesel. I'd get one if it were available.

Last edited by Cebby; 11-23-2003 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Diesel!!

A. Fuel consumption
B. Last longer
C. Its a turbo!! If it isn't fast enough, add some extra boost!
Old 11-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Cebby
The new V6 is another designation. Not to split hairs...

I say go for the diesel. I'd get one if it were available.

EDIT: I took the designation out of the poll. We'll put the right one in when we can find out what it is - cause I dunno.

Anyone??
OK boys and girls, I hate to burst your bubbles, but the JDM 4th gen Surf comes with the 3.4L 5VZ-FE engine .

Not to split hairs
Old 11-23-2003, 01:25 PM
CTB

Hey fellas,

What is exaclty does being a "common rail" mean? Something to do with fuel delivery I assume?
Old 11-23-2003, 02:19 PM

Talking Diesels

I got my wife a 2003 4runner V8. I did it for the reliability and just a nice vehicle overall. NOW about diesels I owna 2001 Dodge diesel the great thing about a diesel is you can enhance horsepower dramatically for small$$$ they have an awesome potential for performance and durability. Example $500.00 60 hp and a plug in box any idiot can do himself. I belong to the TDR web site a Dodge diesel owners site. (turbodieselregister.com) Check it out and you will learn what you can do to a diesel without to much trouble. I love my Dodge and the Toyota is a great truck I just wish it was a diesel.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Barnes; 11-23-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by CTB
Hey fellas,

What is exaclty does being a "common rail" mean? Something to do with fuel delivery I assume?

It has the same kind of fuel rail as gas injected engines do and each injector is individually electronically controlled more like gas injected engines. This is a big break through for diesel injection as in the past they were very simple and crude mechanical injection systems with mechanical fuel distributors.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 11-23-2003, 04:41 PM
CTB

Originally posted by Gadget
It has the same kind of fuel rail as gas injected engines do and each injector is individually electronically controlled more like gas injected engines. This is a big break through for diesel injection as in the past they were very simple and crude mechanical injection systems with mechanical fuel distributors.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Ah, thanks Gadget.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by Woodbert
OK boys and girls, I hate to burst your bubbles, but the JDM 4th gen Surf comes with the 3.4L 5VZ-FE engine .

Not to split hairs
I changed the poll back to 5VZ-FE. Sorry about that.

The U.S. has the 4.0 "new" version. Does anyone know the new designation for the 4.0?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Cebby, the US V-6 is the 1GR-FE.

Woody, tough call. Assuming all else equal, meaning the diesel rig would have all the bells and whistles of your current rig, would it be a question of economics? If so, I'd pencil it against your holding period compared to the differences between initial cost including tax credits, maintenance costs including fuel and insurance, and resale values. If the #'s are better for diesel, with bonus points for status or content, then yeah, I'd do it.

Is the common-rail system part of a direct injection setup? Isn't direct injection part of the diesel future? If so, and the '04 doesn't have TDI yet, maybe wait a year for it. Resale should be better on a TDI rig. I could be all wet here. I haven't kept up on Toyota diesel tech.

Lastly, what color would you get? Your '03 is amazing. Whichever color you choose, get one with a clearcoat topcoat for your marine environment. Good luck!

Edit: Just Googled and got this. Sounds like the diesel future is now. Just how much of an initial cost premium over petrol is it?

D4D = Direct-injection 'common rail' diesel engine

Toyota's D4D direct-injection 'common rail' engine heralds a new and exciting generation of clean, intelligent diesels. D4D makes use of a high-pressure pump and a common rail (pipe) for supplying all cylinders with high-pressure diesel.

The high-pressure injection creates better fuel atomisation for complete burning and increased power output, but also improves fuel economy. In addition the computer control unit injects a small amount of fuel into the cylinder just before the main fuel load ignites. This 'pilot burn' lowers the explosive force of the main combustion process and goes a long way to reduce the noise and vibration formerly associated with diesel engines.

Last edited by BT17R; 11-24-2003 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:07 AM

You Really have a "FE" engine? I understand FE stands for Federal Emessions as in US Gov......
Old 11-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by fishenman
You Really have a "FE" engine? I understand FE stands for Federal Emissions as in US Gov......
FE and GE are Toyota designators for engines primarily relating to cylinder head design and intended application. The FE engines are fuel economy and low emissions designs with narrow included valve angles. The GE engines are performance designs with wide included valve angles. There's some overlap, like the recent 2ZZ-FE that does both. All new Toyota engines for the US market carry the FE designator since 1998, the year the 2JZ-GE/GTE Supra went away. The 2JZ-GE is in it's last year here as the Lexus IS300. I don't think we'll be seeing GE engines for awhile, if ever again.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone else notice that Woody got kinda quiet? I think he might be doin' the deal. Woody, 100% of YotaTecher's can't be wrong! We want pics and and opinions soon. Maybe we'll get a D4D by '05 with the new diesel fuel.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BT17R
Anyone else notice that Woody got kinda quiet? I think he might be doin' the deal. Woody, 100% of YotaTecher's can't be wrong! We want pics and and opinions soon. Maybe we'll get a D4D by '05 with the new diesel fuel.
Bob,

NOTHING moves at the speed you suggest here.

Besides, unlike back in the states, here you spec out the vehicle with all the option bellls and whistles, color, seat fabric etc and then they place the order to Nagoya and BUILD IT FOR YOU! It took about three weeks for me to get the one I have built and shipped here.

I'm going to sit down with the ledger over the long Thanksgiving weekend and see what the numbers look like.

Thanks for your input and advice Bob.

And for those interested, here are the engines available here, including the D4D TD and the venerable 5VZ-FE. Toyota Japan Engines
Old 11-24-2003, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, BTW Bob- The diesel model is about $2500 more than the petro model.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Woody, I forgot that you live on an island.

Wow, those 1KD numbers are huge compared to the 5VZ. It might even be lighter. It looks like it would easily pull deep sand with a trailer. Looking around the web, some engine performance upgrades are available in Europe for the price of a chip.

Great ordering system you have. It can be done here, but usually only through a fleet manager. No way anyone would get it in three weeks, though. Hope it works out for you.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

I'm going to test drive the turbo diesel, maybe tomorrow.

After watching the F-350 video, the diesels are hot.

Doug- Thanks for the input. I'll check the stock 0-60 speed.

Quick Reply: A Common Rail Turbo Diesel