Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold air intakes

Hello everybody. Just bought a 2000 4 runner (4cyl, standard shift, no 4wd) and am looking for ways to enhance gas mileage. ive been told 3 major things:

1. install Cold Air Intake
2. bosch 4 prong spark plugs
3. synthetic oil

Any other reccomendations?

thanks in advance,
Aaron
Old 03-17-2003, 11:46 AM

I dunno about the 2000 rigs, but with my 96 I was told very spefically NOT to use anything except stock (NGK or Denso) plugs, ESPECIALLY NOT the 4 prongers. Check your info before you pursue them.

Anything that improves the flow of gasses into the engine and then back out of the engine will help. Intake, headers, and cat-backs are popular, but I dunno if you'll see enough of a difference to make it worth while.

If you want better gas mileage, get a corolla.

Last edited by jacksonpt; 03-17-2003 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Re: cold air intakes

Originally posted by pluffMuddin
Hello everybody. Just bought a 2000 4 runner (4cyl, standard shift, no 4wd) and am looking for ways to enhance gas mileage. ive been told 3 major things:

3. synthetic oil

thanks in advance,
Aaron
Welcome to the boards.

Add: Electric fan, exhaust, and a header to the list.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

four prong plugs

my experience may only be one of a few, but I didn't have much luck (actually no luck) with multi-prong plugs. they burned so hot that they actually destroyed the electrode on the plug. try driving minus a couple cylinders for a while; needless to say I won't go down that road again
Old 03-17-2003, 02:04 PM

If I may ask, what kind of gas mileage are you getting? I have the same truck and 24 mpg is the best I've gotten. That's after a new fuel filter, plugs (NGK), air filter (stock), and switch over to synthetic oil in the engine, diff, and tranny.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:41 PM

I was also told by the parts manager at the local dealership that for whatever reason my truck wiuld run better in stock type plugs. I tried dual and 4 prong platinum plugs but they didn't do much.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by donc
I was also told by the parts manager at the local dealership that for whatever reason my truck wiuld run better in stock type plugs. I tried dual and 4 prong platinum plugs but they didn't do much.
The service manager told me the same thing. Always use the Toyota factory plugs. I don't really know why.

TRD told me to switch them to a 1 step colder plug with the suprecharger. They even recommended a few different plugs to me.

Two representatives of Toyota and two different answers...
Go figure.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:53 AM

Actually, you kind of got the same answer, you're just looking at it from a different perspective. When running a S/C, you do need to run colder plugs. However, you still should NOT be running 4prongers. In the grand scheme of things, I doubt brand matters much, as long as the design is the same.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SLOYOTA
If I may ask, what kind of gas mileage are you getting? I have the same truck and 24 mpg is the best I've gotten. That's after a new fuel filter, plugs (NGK), air filter (stock), and switch over to synthetic oil in the engine, diff, and tranny.
be proud, 24 mpg is actually pretty good. are you driving with the tailgate down?
Old 03-18-2003, 04:57 AM
Contributing Member

I replaced my stock plugs back a 60k with the bosch platinum 4 prongers. now at 98k they haven't burnt out and last time I pulled them they looked good. I didn't notice any increase in performance by using them so I will probably go back to stock at 100k or so.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:59 AM

Sloyota:

My gas mileage is running about 12-14 city and maybe 17 mpg highway....see why im looking for increased performance!!
Old 03-18-2003, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
be proud, 24 mpg is actually pretty good. are you driving with the tailgate down?
I thought the same thing, but then remembered he had a runner, so no tailgate option.

Besides, that whole tailgate down thing is a whole other topic.
I have yet to see data showing that it improves gas mileage.
I tried both ways on my Tacoma, and didnt see a difference on trips. I got about 18MPG at 80MPH either way.

I hear tonneau covers are the way to go.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I thought the same thing, but then remembered he had a runner, so no tailgate option.

Besides, that whole tailgate down thing is a whole other topic.
I have yet to see data showing that it improves gas mileage.
I tried both ways on my Tacoma, and didnt see a difference on trips. I got about 18MPG at 80MPH either way.

I hear tonneau covers are the way to go.
at 80 mph your not going to get good gas mileage on any vehicle. my wife and I drive her tacoma from houston to Mobile, AL 3-4 times a year at about 65-70 mph. I have gone one tank with tailgate up, next tank with tailgate down, and cycle like this through the trip and I consistantly get better gas mileage by about 2-3 mpg with the tailgate down. hers is a 4cyl 4x4 xtra cab. maybe because it's black it is more aerodynamic. we usually get around 22 with the gate down and 18 with it up. Sorry I replied about gas mileage and interupted your thread.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
Sorry I replied about gas mileage and interupted your thread.
I dont think you were interrupting him. The original post was about gas mileage. You were just trying to help.

So you get better gas mileage with the tailgate down, and I did not? That's really weird.

What we really need to see is 3 consistent runs at the track with the tailgate up, and 3 with it down. Then get the delta of the two averages. If your theory is correct, the trap speed should be higher. I am curious now, since I only monitored the tailgate down idea 2X with my Tacoma.

(Now I am interupting the thread)
Old 03-18-2003, 07:09 AM

Re: cold air intakes

Originally posted by pluffMuddin

-power improvement: yes
-fuel economy improvement: I don't know

-definitely not. They simply burn too hot and could do damage.

3. synthetic oil
-yes

-electric radiator fan

thanks in advance,
Aaron
Hope it helps.

Al
Old 03-18-2003, 07:15 AM

HBoss:

awesome. thanks for the input everybody. Now the question is: What are the major differences in cold air intakes? A buddy of mine built one for about 100 bucks. But i see them for sale online for $200 or better. Whats the deal?

thanks again
Old 03-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Away

Hi and Welcome to the forums.

If you do the DeckPlate mod, that is effectively a cold air intake when you are moving at a speed above 25mph or so. At idle or in trafic it draws air in from the engine compartment and it tends to be quite warm. Believe it or not, the stock intake system draws air in thru the fender well, far away from the engine bay, so it IS a cold air intake from the word go. But the Elbow is too restrictive and it limits performance.

You will get a decent (if not significant) performance increase if you do the DeckPlate Mod and the ISR Mod in combination. It doesn't hurt Fuel Economy if you don't drive any differently after the installation of the two. But most people fail to realize it since they have their foot in it a lot more.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 03-18-2003, 05:01 PM

DocZ, Nice write up on the isr mod. I would like to do this, but does anyone know about the legality, emissions wise? I have to pass the inspection, here, every other year. I could just return it to stock config. for the test, I suppose, but that adds another hassle.

thanks,
John
Old 03-18-2003, 07:30 PM

It is a good thing to put on stuff especially w/ gas prices these days.Try a airfilter,header,exhaust also I bought a magnetic fuel saver from jc whittney and I noticed a gas change for the bettter.hope this helps
Old 03-19-2003, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by furthur
DocZ, Nice write up on the isr mod. I would like to do this, but does anyone know about the legality, emissions wise? I have to pass the inspection, here, every other year. I could just return it to stock config. for the test, I suppose, but that adds another hassle.

thanks,
John
You will most likely have more COx emissions, but not enough to cause you to fail. If you do a clean intall, no one can tell you have this mod. The only drawback I see, is running premium gas. Which, I want no part of right now.

Quick Reply: cold air intakes