Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Clutch pedal bushing ... NOT THAT BUSHING

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch pedal bushing ... NOT THAT BUSHING

My Taco is a long time squeaker. 6-8 years ago I had the clutch pedal housing replaced under warranty from the dealer. Helped for a while. 4 years ago it recurred and I did the linear spring swap, then I decided my foot is strong enough that I'll just go spring-less. It was quiet for a while, but over the last year or two it has developed another squeak. It can't be the bushing or spring because it doesn't have it.

I'm going whole hog on the fix this time. Took the lower dash out. Hard to hear just which part is noisy because it's all connected, so I removed the clutch pedal bracket and took off the clutch pedal. I wanted to press the master cylinder without the pedal so I put the bracket on sans-pedal and reattached the cylinder, but even with my biggest screw driver I can't get enough leverage to push the rod even a bit. Any ideas how to press it?

When I took the pedal off there is a tube that is about a millimeter longer than the pedal that the bolt squeezes onto. Between the tube and pedal are two plastic bushings that appear to be split:

Close up of the bushings:

Could this split be what's causing the squeak in the dash? If I could bush the rod in without the pedal attached I would know the squeak is coming from the pedal. Heading to the dealership now to see if they will sell me the bushings because I'm not going to buy a whole new assembly for the two pieces of plastic. Anybody else tried to grease/replace this part? Other fixes I've found are just for the bushing the torsion spring touches and people greasing up the rod that goes through the fire wall into the master cylinder.

I also have the secondary squeak coming from the slave cylinder contacting the clutch fork or possibly from deeper down into the clutch fork, but that's a whole different squeak. Anybody able to grease that without removing the slave cylinder?

Link to album for bigger pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/gangste...eat=directlink
Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 AM

I greased my slave cyl to clutch fork area with Amsoil Synthetic bearing grease, and it squeaks no more!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:23 PM

Thanks. I'll do that when I get the pedal assembly and master cylinder reattached.

Dealership was nice enough to sell me just the bushings for only $3 each. Had to wait a day for them to order them and was disappointed to see the new ones have the crack as well. So they weren't broken, just designed that way.

Putting it back together I noticed the bushing that the cotter pin goes through looks all beat up, part of it looks worn through. I really hope that's the source of the squeak because I don't want to take apart the master cylinder to grease the spring as the FSM shows.

Hard to take a good picture. Album here: https://picasaweb.google.com/gangste...eat=directlink

It's so grubby I can't tell if it's metal or plastic. Will get a new one and post updates. Anyone else replaced this bushing before?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:52 PM

The bushing that the cotter pin goes through was the magic bushing. I replaced it for the outrageous price of $8.71 (Toyota P/N 90386-08002) and the internal squeak is no more. It's plastic so I didn't bother greasing it. Finally put my dash back together.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink
The external squeak from the clutch fork is still there. 93toyrunner2, how did you apply the grease? I put globs of it on my finger and rubbed it around the slave/fork pivot while my wife pumped the clutch. It didn't help. I can't tell if the squeak is coming from there or from further inside the clutch. I then pulled back the rubber boot and smudged grease everywhere on the fork arm that felt like it was contacting anything within finger depth. Still no luck.

Last edited by Gangstead; 01-04-2012 at 07:55 PM.