Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CB and GMRS/FRS

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB and GMRS/FRS

Does anyone know of a vehicle mounted radio that supports both CB and GMRS/FRS? Lots of offroaders use CB (and require that you have a CB radio for rides). My hunting/camping buds use GMRS/FRS. One guy has a GMRS base station mounted in his truck like a CB for trips and to use as a high powered base station for camp. I'd like to find something that can serve double duty. So far, I haven't found anything. Does such a radio exist? I may be better off sticking with handheld units for GMRS and getting a traditional CB radio, but I wanted to make sure what I want doesn't exist before I buy.

Chris
Old 08-17-2002, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have not seen one like that. One of the problems is the frequency they operate at. A CB radio operates at about 26/27 mhz and is AM. The GMRS/FRS radios operated at 462/467mhz and are FM. The antenna length reqired for each to transmit efficiently is different.

(Yes, I know these aren't the exact frequencies but close enough)

The frequencies edited to correct numbers now.

Last edited by Yoda; 08-17-2002 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Yoda
I have not seen one like that. One of he problems is the frequency they operate at. A CB radio operates at about 50 mhz and is AM. The GMRS/FRS radios operated at about 445 mhz and are FM. The antenna length reqired for each to transmit efficiently is different.

(Yes, I know these aren't the exact frequencies but close enough)
Well, that would explain why I've never seen a combo unit. I was unaware they were on different bands (mebbe I should read up on it). Since I have less need of GMRS in the vehicle, I'll stick with handheld units for that and go for a good CB in the truck.

Chris
Old 08-17-2002, 07:57 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
While we are on the subject of radios here, who makes the best FRS hand held units?
There are way more of those out now than CBs, it's pretty confusing if one wanted to pick up a set for skiing or for use on a trail when you are out of the rig and explore.

Even Garmin has one out now that also includes GPS on it, and your bud on the other end can see where you are at I beleive on his screen.
Now that would be fun for hide & seek

Oh, CBs operate in the 26 to 27 mhz band.
Old 08-17-2002, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like the Garmin is pretty cool IF they get FCC approval.
Garmin link for the GPS/FRS:
http://www.garmin.com/products/rino/

Expected approval Sept 2002

Man, that would be cool to push a button and it sends your location to your buddy and it shows on his GPS screen!
Old 08-17-2002, 08:33 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I could have sworn I saw these for sale already somewhere online.
Corey

Old 08-17-2002, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Corey,
You been doing the online updates to your GPS operating system? I just downloaded the latest for mine. Looks like every few months they make improvements or add more features.

Last edited by Yoda; 08-17-2002 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

Yup, those are sexy alright. I can't wait for them to hit the market. They'll be perfect for hunting (my main use of GMRS/FRS).

Corey, don't bother with FRS, GMRS radios are down to the $50/unit price level. You get over twice the range. Plus, most GMRS radios (all?) overlap FRS so you can talk to both types. Yes, you have to have a license (although most don't bother), but it's just a form and fee deal.

Chris
Old 08-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Dave, I'll have to check. Last update I did was a few months back.

I'm still undecided on which new GPS I want. It will probably be the E-Trex Vista, the one with 24 MB of memory.

Chris, I don't know anything about either radio too much, but the info you just gave here on the GMRS sounds good.
I'll have to look into it later.
Corey
Old 08-17-2002, 08:04 PM

Re: CB and GMRS/FRS

I have a 2 meter ham radio in my 98 TRD Tacoma, I had no room to mount it, so I used a 6" cell phone pedistal, have a power pigtail straight to the battery, yet, an interupt relay to turn it off with the key (advantages of getting power directly from the battery, yet, still goes off with the key) and it transmits in the 144-148 Mhz, this is VHF FM and a 5/8 wave antenna 9longest and best for reaching furthest across the horizon) is only 48" long, of course, a CB is in the 11 meter band (27Mhz and just a 1/4 wave requires 102" or a coil which is a power drain, GMRS and FRS are int he 462Mhz, this is also uses FM modulation and is in the UHF band, the antenna for these will be even shorted, I think a 5/8 wave will be about 20". And the best ground plane will be if your antenna is in the center and the top of your rig (this means drilling a hole in the cab) but I just couldnt bring myself to do it, so I drilled a hole in the center of my diamond plated toolbox, I used a Motorola® NMO mount, these are great, you can screw on a different antenna to the same mount for different bands, radio is easy to reach, can swivel it around, unto the ball mount for another radio, change antenna for a different band in about 2 minutes, so you can have it all in one! Oh, those darn GMRS license are $75 for 5 years! I beleieve FRS is free, but output is limited. My 2 meter rig runs 5/50 watts and I have a repeater directory and I can link these repeater across 4 states. :pat:
Old 08-17-2002, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

Hey MTD,
KC7OFP here. I also use a 2 meter. Mine is an Icom HT that sits nice in the cup holder of my DD (Taurus wagon w/center of roof antenna mount. Have to get a set up for my LandCruiser though.

Are you in the Seattle area?
Old 08-18-2002, 06:11 PM

Hey MTD,
KC7OFP here. I also use a 2 meter. Mine is an Icom HT that sits nice in the cup holder of my DD (Taurus wagon w/center of roof antenna mount. Have to get a set up for my LandCruiser though.

Are you in the Seattle area?

73 Yota, call here is "KC7AXU" and I'm in Olympia, was born in Seattle (Virginia Mason), I'm running a Alinco DR130 rig in my Tacoma, I'm a memeber of the Capital Peak Repeater Group on 145.470Mhz with a PL of 100Hz, also part of the Evergreen Intertie system, dont use it as much as I used to, but do use it.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:21 PM

Corey,
You been doing the online updates to your GPS operating system? I just downloaded the latest for mine. Looks like every few months they make improvements or add more features.

Yota, I have a Garmin Emap® and I download updates about every 6 months, they will tell me the adds from the version I have now vs what they have now. I love this thing! ;-)