Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CB antenna mounting help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB antenna mounting help

I just purchased a cobra 18 WX ST II cb radio and am going to buy everything else I need this weekend. Only problem is I'm not sure what all I need. The 2 things I know is that I want a firestik antenna and I would like to mount it back by the driver's taillight like I see frequently. I would like some more information on what mount to buy, what size antenna to get, and if I need the spring also. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a WILSON 1000 magnet mount and put it in the middle of the roof,that will get you the best transmit and receive froward and backward. just my.02
Old 12-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
HarleyMan is correct...

But for the rear you just need to buy a swiveling, or 90* fender mount like pictured:
http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss...ath=28_353_430

I had mine back there for a while, but the signal was not OPTIMUM! You need to have some sort of ground plane (like your roof or hood). So I switched it to the front using this mount:

Way better SWR meter readings with that. Much happier as well. The rear mount with antenna got in the way when opening the hatch.

Also don't cut your coax, just wind it up somewhere and hide it in the panel or wherever. Its cut to the right length to attenuate the correct wavelengths CB radio uses. Firestik II (3 or 4 foot) antenna's are sweet for sure.

Last edited by BajaRunner; 12-07-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

Screw magnet mounts. They suck (sort of). Get a doorjam mount, im not sure where to get them, but thats what is for. You will want the spring too, firestiks arnt to flexy. And get 18 feet of coax, you will need it.
Sorry that post sort of made me sound like an a hole.
And i will post pics of my cb set up under my build tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Banned

oh, look at birdbrains build, he has pics of his mount on there. thats what you want.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 AM

I really want to stay away from a magenetic mount. I'm looking for something a little more permanentish and to be honest, a little better looking. The main purpose for this CB is going to be trail use, so I don't really need the absolute best reception, but I don't want it to suck either.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:23 AM

go with a spring mount firestick is a good antenna but i would go with a wilson if you can find it way better and it uses military specs i know because im in the army it will transmit and recieve alot farther i have dual wilsons on my yota they work great
Old 12-08-2009, 06:24 AM

Name:  DSC_2708.jpg
Views: 3772
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  DSC_2711.jpg
Views: 7519
Size:  103.2 KB

Spent 6 dollars at Lowes on some stock steel, and found a couple bolts laying around the house to make that. Used self-tapping screws to go into the truck with. You will need to purchase a cable to run to the CB up front, and then a fitting for the mount as well(got that at radio shack for $5). Its bare metal here, but went back and painted it, and put some clear on the drill holes into the vehicle to prevent rust

I'm using a 5' Wilson antenna with no spring. If you are only doing city driving, and nothing crazy off road, no need for a spring.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 AM

HarleyMan is correct...

But for the rear you just need to buy a swiveling, or 90* fender mount like pictured:

I had mine back there for a while, but the signal was not OPTIMUM! You need to have some sort of ground plane (like your roof or hood). So I switched it to the front using this mount:

Way better SWR meter readings with that. Much happier as well. The rear mount with antenna got in the way when opening the hatch.

Also don't cut your coax, just wind it up somewhere and hide it in the panel or wherever. Its cut to the right length to attenuate the correct wavelengths CB radio uses. Firestik II (3 or 4 foot) antenna's are sweet for sure.

x2.

also you need to find a cb shop in your area and have your radio peak'ed and tuned. Its worth the few extra dollars spent. They should also be able to hook you up with all of the supplies you need. Also IIRC they can make you a coax that is the correct length, but you have to know how much you need. So just map it out with some yarn, then stretch it out and measure it.

Talk to some truckers if you're unsure where a good cb shop is around you.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 PM

If you really want range, do it right and get a Ham license and use the Ham frequencies (You don't need to know Morse code to get a license). Otherwise, for just trail use, Cbohl51 has the right location; it just needs the addition of a spring between the mount and antenna.

That location sucks for range, but on the trail, you only need to transmit within the group, so range isn't that important. Tree branches eat up antennas so with the antenna at the rear, the truck protects the antenna, and the spring allows the antenna to flex away from the branch or brush instead of breaking.

Although, I'll admit I don't have my antenna at the rear. I drilled a hole in my fender, just in-front of the AM/FM radio antenna. I've broken off my AM/FM radio antenna before, so I'm using the stronger CB antenna (on a spring) in attempt to clear brush before the brush strikes the radio antenna. But that's not working so great.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:05 PM

I have a spring that I put on when I hit the trails.. for city driving, no spring to keep it from wiggling all over the place.

I get about 5-6mi on receiving and about 3-4mi on transmission... mainly use it for long highway trips. Saved my ass plenty of times to find out where police are and when accidents/road closures are up coming. A very wise investment.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Ned

I make these at work. I'd be happy to hook you up. I was going to sell them but never got around to it. I have 3 or 4 already made up. They are bead blasted and unpainted. I supply the drill bit and screws needed as well as detailed instructions.

Last edited by Ned; 12-09-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best antenna you can get for CB is actually one of the cheapest toughest ones, the classic 102 inch stainless steel whip.

A 1/4 wave length antenna for 27mhz (CB band) is 102 inches in length. Anything shorter IE a fire stick, you drastically loose efficiency.

Also the closer the antenna is to the body the more capactive coupling you get which adds to major loss of efficiency.

The best way I've found to mount a 102" whip is on the side skirt/fender with a hustler ball mount. I know people are squmish about drilling a hole but that peice can be unbolted and new one for $40-50 bucks if you decide to sell your runner later on.

Here is two pics of how I have my antenna mounted on the right side bumper/fender. The white box next to it is an antenna tuner so I can use it on the lower ham bands also (3.8-30mhz).

I've tried allot of antennas on my runner and this one is by far the most effcient and durable. You can see in the pic that only the first foot of it is anywhere close to the car body.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ned
I make these at work. I'd be happy to hook you up. I was going to sell them but never got around to it. I have 3 or 4 already made up. They are bead blasted and unpainted. I supply the drill bit and screws needed as well as detailed instructions.

Good post! Unfortunately I wish I had seen this earlier because I just ordered everything I need, including the mount off of Amazon.com. I had a amazon gift card from my work, so I bought my antenna, mount, coax, and antenna spring and I'm only spending about $7 of my own money.

Thanks to everyone that answered my questions.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:19 PM

very nice mount!!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:38 PM

hey trd i grew up by lima maybe next summer u can make one for my 1gen lol
Old 12-24-2009, 10:11 AM

Ned I like that mount and also wish I had seen this sooner. I already picked my front mount location on my ARB bumper but sure wish I had seen this option earlier.

I would encourage you to offer those up for sale. I may yet change my mind....

trd good luck with your install are you going in the bottom radio location?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
Ned I like that mount and also wish I had seen this sooner. I already picked my front mount location on my ARB bumper but sure wish I had seen this option earlier.

I would encourage you to offer those up for sale. I may yet change my mind....

trd good luck with your install are you going in the bottom radio location?
Yes I am going to mount the CB radio directly below my CD player. I just finally got everything ordered this past weekend (fighting with amazon for a while over an address change do to a recent move and then just decided to wait til after the holidays). My mount looks similar to Ned's but is the firestik swivel mount. If the reception sucks I may end up moving it to the front bumper, but the above guy said 5-6 miles for receiving and 3-4 for transmitting and I would be perfectly fine with that.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Gee, everyone has an opinion.

trd...

1) Make sure if you mount on the bumper it's top loaded and above your roof line.
2) You don't need a spring. A simple screw in mounted antenna is best.
3) Make sure your mount is grounded well to the chassis.
4) Use an SWR meter to fine tune the antenna
5) Make sure you run a *direct*
connection to your battery for the negative and the positive wires.
6) For better "hearing" you might consider a remote speaker mounted around your head area.

TJMWO,

gNARLS
1) Not mounting on the bumper but on a bracket mounted in the door jamb near the tail light (like ned above). Don't know what top load means but the antenna is about 1 foot higher than the roof.
2) For an extra $8 I have the spring. Planning to only use it when offroad.
3) Will do, thanks.
4) Already contacted a local shop about tuning it for me, and then I'll buy my own SWR meter for future use.
5) So you are telling me to run the wires through the firewall and up to the battery? Advantages?
6) I will see how the hearing goes before doing any extra speakers. Only going to be used on the trail when actual head unit is turned off so i don't forsee a problem.

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
HarleyMan is correct...

How did you deal with the slight fender lip with that mount? Can you post some pics of your runner with that fender mount? Is the lip even a big deal with this mount? The mount I am currently using is proving to be quite difficult with the fender lip, but its a lot shorter mount and the screws are ending up right on the curve of the lip. :argh:

-Ferg-

Last edited by theferg; 01-12-2010 at 08:08 PM.

Quick Reply: CB antenna mounting help