Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CAT Missing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ouch..sorry to hear that... I would wrap tons of barbed wire under there... those guys are in a hurry to rip the cc off.. if they have to cut barbed wire and fish around without getting cut...they would prob think twice.. that or do what i do.. sit up at night with an ak47!!! we had a string of breakins out here not too long ago( being in the woods its easy to get ripped off, also easy to bury bodies..lol)
Old 04-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw "cat" in the title so I had to see what was going on...your cat is making me hungry! A little butter sauce and...nevermind, I need to go eat breakfast.

Seriously though, hate to hear what happened. Just curious, how much cash do junkies get for selling these oem cats? And yes I know, when you're a junkie, even $5 means the world to you...but what's the worth of these cats?

I have not heard reports of thieves stealing cat converters in my area, but as I read about more and more reports of them being stolen in other areas, it is worth looking into some type of preventative measure to keep this from happening.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cackalak han
I don't know. Look at this pic

I haven't seen that cat clamp before. Looks like a pretty good product.
That picture doesn't show a bellypan. The bellypan extends almost even with the front door handles or 1 cross member further than the naked crossmember in your picture. It covers about 75% of the CAT. Here is XCMountain's ride with belly pan under.

Originally Posted by cgeorge
does insurance pick up the $$ to replace the CAT?
They will, but I have a $500 deductible and aftermarket Cats are less money. OEM is around $1000, give or take, at the dealer. The theives did do me a favor however and they cut the flange off that attaches the Cat to the muffler. So the insurance will cover a new muffler as well and that was due for replacement soon. Otherwise, I would be looking at aftermarket cats, but I am still researching if they include the O2 sensor. All the ones I have seen are high flow and I do not think they include the O2 sensor. I am trying to figure out how to get the insurance money for OEM replacement, do a less expensive Muffler/Cat fix, and have money left over for some budbuilts to protect from future thefts. But, I am still making payments and the insurance guy seems funny about giving me the money without a Tax ID # for the shop I am going to have it fixed at.

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
I saw "cat" in the title so I had to see what was going on...your cat is making me hungry! A little butter sauce and...nevermind, I need to go eat breakfast.

Seriously though, hate to hear what happened. Just curious, how much cash do junkies get for selling these oem cats? And yes I know, when you're a junkie, even $5 means the world to you...but what's the worth of these cats?

I have not heard reports of thieves stealing cat converters in my area, but as I read about more and more reports of them being stolen in other areas, it is worth looking into some type of preventative measure to keep this from happening.
I actually have 4 kitty cats. Hope you are hungry. When you live with a girlfriend who works at an animal hospital, there is only so much you can do

I have read/heard $70 - $120 and the cop I filed the report with said $300. The problem is that the scrap yards are totally looking the other way when a tweeker brings in a bunch of obviously stolen CCs. There are reports of brand new cars on dealer lots being hit. Come on. If you are a scrape metal guy, are you going to look at a bunch of brand new sawzalled cats and think they are not stolen?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Goin
His name is Tumbles because he only takes 3-4 steps and tumbles over. He is neurologic and basically looks drunk all the time. Once you get over the horror of some of the falls he takes, he is really funny to watch. My girlfriend works at a Vet. Hosp. and that is why we are moving to Blacksburg so she can go to Vet. school.
Video, or it doesn't happen!!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:02 PM

this just gave me the best idea in the world.... i am going to steal my own cat and put in a cheapo aftermarket one... i might as well be the one to profit off my truck
Old 04-16-2008, 04:12 PM

I gotta admit, that thought went through my head too.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Team420
we had a string of breakins out here not too long ago( being in the woods its easy to get ripped off, also easy to bury bodies..lol)
Old 04-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

I actually have 4 kitty cats. Hope you are hungry. When you live with a girlfriend who works at an animal hospital, there is only so much you can do

I have read/heard $70 - $120 and the cop I filed the report with said $300. The problem is that the scrap yards are totally looking the other way when a tweeker brings in a bunch of obviously stolen CCs. There are reports of brand new cars on dealer lots being hit. Come on. If you are a scrape metal guy, are you going to look at a bunch of brand new sawzalled cats and think they are not stolen?
I'm sure with 4 cats around, things can get a bit crazy at times...I've got just one and he's a handful!

x2 with what Whitey13 said. I'd like to see a video of Tumbles walking too. That's got to be funny.

Wow, for as much as oem CCs cost new, I'd figure you'd get closer to $400 at scrap yards. Either way it sucks. Definitely not something I'd risk getting arrested over. Stupid theives.

That picture doesn't show a bellypan. The bellypan extends almost even with the front door handles or 1 cross member further than the naked crossmember in your picture. It covers about 75% of the CAT.

Maybe this picture will help give everyone a better idea of what budbuilt skids look like when mounted . Courtesy of UY member 97Kurt (Kurt):

Old 04-17-2008, 05:56 AM

Yesterday my 2nd cat in 1 1/2 months dissappeared (the metal kind) while at work. I'm going to design a booby trap to convince anyone of the error of their ways when they decide to go under the vehicle to take anything.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
take it to a muffler shop and have them throw on a flowmaster or something. Thats what i did on my 2002 vw when the cat got clogged. It cost me about 200 bucks.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
I'm sure with 4 cats around, things can get a bit crazy at times...I've got just one and he's a handful!

x2 with what Whitey13 said. I'd like to see a video of Tumbles walking too. That's got to be funny.

Wow, for as much as oem CCs cost new, I'd figure you'd get closer to $400 at scrap yards. Either way it sucks. Definitely not something I'd risk getting arrested over. Stupid theives.

Maybe this picture will help give everyone a better idea of what budbuilt skids look like when mounted . Courtesy of UY member 97Kurt (Kurt):

That is a great picture. To bad for him though. It looks like there may be enough room to get a sawzall in from the side. I am going to have to look closer at this when I get home to my truck. Apparently they are also using those chain/wheel pipe cutters as well, which is much quieter and the budbuilts look as they would guard against that tool. I will see if I can score a video of Tumbles. He kind of walks all stiff like frankenstein with his tail straight up in the air. He has adapted to using the walls and funiture to lean against as he walks. He is a happy cat but certainly handicaped.

Originally Posted by cadman
Yesterday my 2nd cat in 1 1/2 months dissappeared (the metal kind) while at work. I'm going to design a booby trap to convince anyone of the error of their ways when they decide to go under the vehicle to take anything.
Did they hit you in the same spot twice? I am worried if I get a OEM replacement, they know where the goods are and will be back. Not that I am all that confident a tweeker could tell the difference between aftermarket and OEM.

Originally Posted by crolison
take it to a muffler shop and have them throw on a flowmaster or something. Thats what i did on my 2002 vw when the cat got clogged. It cost me about 200 bucks.
Yeah aftermarket is definately cheaper, but I will get a new muffler if I go through insurance.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:08 AM

The first time was in front of my house and yesterday was in front of work.

When I was hit at home my neighbor across the street watched the whole thing and let us know it happened, 2 1/2 hours later.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by cadman
The first time was in front of my house and yesterday was in front of work.

When I was hit at home my neighbor across the street watched the whole thing and let us know it happened, 2 1/2 hours later.
What the hell is wrong with your neighbor? Worthless people...
Old 04-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Here we had some tweekers steal cats from county parol cars, just climbed the fence took them.

http://www.kptv.com/news/15893403/detail.html
Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 PM

Haha, stealing the cats of parol cars is crazy, thats pretty brave of those tweakers. Do they wear like heat resitant gloves or something when they take them? cuz at works i know from expereince that cats dont cool down very quickly, i have many a scar on my arm from them . POS fords. Oh and i sold my cat a while back and just have straight from the manifold to the mufflers. NO smog tests here
Old 04-17-2008, 12:46 PM

man this sucks I hate reading these posts one thing you all can is mark the ads on craigslist as spam those guys are some of the ones buying the stolen ones then scrapping them.

what kind of fine do you get if you are not running a cat?

if you can trick the o2 sensor I would bolt a straight pipe and put the cat on only when you have to get smogged.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 PM

how do u change your oil with the budbuilt?

and +1 for a vid of Tumbles
Old 04-17-2008, 01:12 PM

I would fasten a string to the cat with a pulley and a 12 gauge, leave it sitting for a while and then try to identify the SOB that tried to steal it. I wonder if that's legal?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by 98runner210
how do u change your oil with the budbuilt?

and +1 for a vid of Tumbles
I think that I read somewhere that the newer version of the Budbuilt Skids have a hole to access the oil drain plug.

You guys asked for it and here he is ..... MR TUMBLES
Old 04-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Oh man, I thought he just acted like a drunk trying to walk...I had no idea it was that bad! He really struggles just to walk 10ft...that poor cat!

Quick Reply: CAT Missing