Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brake Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2002, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Trouble

Hey guys, I am having trouble with my brakes. I have noticed that my car has been feeling like the brakes are constantly engaged. I am about to jack it up and figure out whether it is the front or the back. I cant even hardly push the car when it is in neutral. I recently put new rotors and pads in the front and bled the whole system. I dont know if i could have done something wrong. Also, i had the problem with an axel seal leak and it messed up my rear brakes and the Toyota dealer kept messing them up when they would fix them. I think they might have set my hand brake too tight. If that is the problem, how do you fix it. I tried turning the nut at the hadbrake, but that didn't seem to help. Maybe i just didn't do it enough. So just tell me what you guys think

Thanks,
David
Old 09-14-2002, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, I just got back from dinner and I jacked up the back. Sure enough, my rear brakes are stuck on. I couldn't hardly turn the wheel at all. I'm not sure what exactly could be causing this other than the hand brake being too tight. But it doesn't seem that bad all the time, but just some times. I am pretty pissed at the Toyota dealer because i have taken it there sooo many times for the brakes that they screwed up. I feel relieved to know that it had nothing to do with the new rotors and pads that i put on myself.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:21 AM

The technitions typically won't adjust the hand brake unless it is majorly off. When you adjust the drums especially after putting in new pads it usually brings the handbrake back to normal. I haven't had to adjust drum brakes yet so I don't know exactly what's involved, but they're probably just adjusted too tight. You have to pull off the drum to adjust it to fix it.

Another possibility is that your hand brake cable is crimped or just messed up. Do you use your hand brake a lot? Does using it make the problem worse or better?

Maybe the self adjusting thingie in the drums is not working properly. Now my inexperience is starting to show. haha.

All I know is shop manuals for these cars are damn expensive! I think I might have to bite the bullet and get one though. It was invaluable working on my Integra.