Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bored today Look What I did !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 12:50 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bored today Look What I did !!

Well I was bored since Its been raining all day been thinking about the gutter guard Mod so I stopped by Lowes and pickup some gutter guards strips (under $2.00) and since I didn't like the idea of cutting out the center in my grill I just made it fit in front of it. A little change from what I have seen done here. Have a look see :
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...70979523swSkhr
Also last week I had some TRD logos made for my new wheels center caps. This just finsihes off the new rims and tires .
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...70979139WQqXPk
Let me know what you all think more pics are in the album if you want more of the work being done. any question just ask.. Got to love a dremel tool
Old 04-26-2003, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice!!! I definately like the touch of the center cap...
Old 04-26-2003, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

ohhh nice nice 8) i need to get one of those dremmels 8)
Old 04-26-2003, 01:52 PM

looks very cool iam on my way to lowes right now is raining and iam bored
Old 04-26-2003, 02:40 PM

Hey that grill is now looking great!!!. That is a simple yet awesome mod you did. Great picture too. What part of VA you from? I will be heading to Lowes to get some of that gutter guards. Nice job.

Noel
Old 04-26-2003, 03:01 PM

And all I did was organize my tool box. I removed almost 20 lbs of sockets and tools I didn't need in there. I had no idea I had 27 screw drivers in there!
Old 04-26-2003, 03:35 PM
WT

Thanks for all the compliments
Yeah can't beat a MOD for under 2 bucks since this month I spent more than I should have on this beast
I'm in the Richmond area West End.. Guess I should make one of them thingies for the bottom of my posts to say what I have and were I'm from next....
Good Luck to everyone who's heading to Lowes for some gutter guards..
MOD Time
Old 04-26-2003, 03:49 PM

Step by Step for this mod?

Any chance you could give us very newbies a step by step, and maybe what parts are needed, tools needed, etc? I like yours without having to drill out the center section and with the emblem still there (I want something I can take off later with no damage).

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2003, 04:11 PM

It looks great, very clean install!
Old 04-26-2003, 05:41 PM
WT

Plamar,
Jacksons already got a good write up in the tech section here:
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...lle/grille.htm
The main difference I did was not to use the Dremel tool to cut out the center area of the grill. I got the gutter guard from Lowes which amazingly was the right width of the area I needed to cover . Well the next step would be lay the sheet over the grill then I marked the center emblem area with a sharpie and cut that out with the dremel and cutting wheel. see in this picture:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...70979434kLMyiP
Next I used tape to mark the corners and then used the dremel to cut the right and left sides. Set the Emblem back in put in screw from rear and then I used 22ga wire (galvanized in the painting hanging section) I also got this at lowes and used that on the corner to wrap the screen from the front to the center bars on each end. Thats it hopefully this helps.
I know you can do it !
Old 04-26-2003, 10:13 PM

That's sweet! Has anyone done that on a 2nd gen. runner?
Old 04-26-2003, 10:58 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

Very nice looking mods. You achieved just the right look.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:12 AM

Dumb questions

How do you remove the grill? Did you use the piece of cardboard/wood to mold the gutter guard? Did you drill the holes to attach the wire to the grill? The write-up already in the tech section is not super clear...any help you give me would be great. Do you think Home Depot has the gutter guard like this one? What is the size of it?
Old 04-27-2003, 03:28 AM
WT

Re: Dumb questions

How do you remove the grill? Did you use the piece of cardboard/wood to mold the gutter guard? Did you drill the holes to attach the wire to the grill? The write-up already in the tech section is not super clear...any help you give me would be great. Do you think Home Depot has the gutter guard like this one? What is the size of it? [/QUOTE]

Okay I have a 96 but it should be close to the ssme I have to push in like 7 clips to remove the grill, Use small screwdriver and pull loose each and then the whole grill comes out ( be careful not to break these or you will have to visit the dealer) Yes Home depot should have the same thing (gutter guard with clips, remove the clips). I just layed the gutter guard over the grill after removing the emblem (check out the other pics in my album). use a sharpie cause it writes on anything hehe, I marked and cut out the center first put the emblem back in to hold it all in place. Then I used masking tape to mark the left and right sided to contour the corners ( didn't have to mark off or cut anything from top or bottom it was a perfect fit in my case).Them remove emblem and use the dremel to cut the contour on the right and left (look close in the first pic of the grill in my trunk it shows a dry fit with ends cut and center emblem attached) next I just wrapped the 22ga wire from behind the larger center section of the grill to the front of the gutter guard (No holes needed to be drilled).
I'll snap a pic in a second here of the wire holding the ends so check back on my album shortly got to love digital cams
Old 04-27-2003, 04:04 AM
WT

Well had to do something with that last piece of gutter guard I got last night since I got 2 pieces in case I messed up my first try Added it to the back of the lower valance
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...71054206RRKIjV

Plamar,
I added a pic of the wire holding the ends
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...71054354gRmHLK
I know its hard to see but its a start
Old 04-27-2003, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by OicnaiC
That's sweet! Has anyone done that on a 2nd gen. runner?
Yeah! I Did!
Cut out centre with a hacksaw, dont have a dremel, and wasnt gonna spend 100 euro for this.

Last edited by delboy; 06-27-2003 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:38 PM
WT

Originally posted by Philly
Very nicely done WT.

OK line up behind me everyone, keep the line straight, WT will get to each of us in due time. That OK with you WT. Can you tell us how to get to where you live so we can get the work done. LOL

Nice job!

No problem actually this mod took maybe 1hour tops, since I wanted to be sure to do it right the fisrt time. I think it can be done under 30mins now I done one
So any one in Virgina need some help let me know. Maybe I should just make a template and sell them on Ebay whats the going rate ops did I say that ?? J/K
The center cap logos I got from a local guy that does Graphics of all type for cars truck etc. he has a mobil shop $40.00 bucks to get them and install them for me. I did ask him the silly question of what If some people I know wants some how much ? he said let him know he could do it around $30. I got this idea from JasonB and I also seen it on RonS from way back when when I saw his truck The guy that made the Center cap logos has also done a few TRD Offroad ones on other toyota trucks so he had the TRD logo already made to put on mine. You might ask around Wheel places for a local guy like I did or If you like I can get you this guys information or get them for you too if you like.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I gotta say WT that you have a mighty even hand!

I just got done scrapping my attempt at doing this.. The gutter guard didn't like the Dremel too much (as the cutting wheel cut through, the ends would bend), so I went with just a small pair of diagonal cutters. That cleaned up the cuts, but then placing the guard over the grill just ended up looking all wrong.

I couldn't see how that just anchoring it at the two ends like you did would let it hold it's shape. You used 22 gauge material, right? The stuff I found was in a 6" x 20' roll for $2.69.

I may give it another go... I have another 17'+ of material to play with!
Old 04-27-2003, 05:45 PM
WT

Originally posted by mpulver
Well, I gotta say WT that you have a mighty even hand!

I just got done scrapping my attempt at doing this.. The gutter guard didn't like the Dremel too much (as the cutting wheel cut through, the ends would bend), so I went with just a small pair of diagonal cutters. That cleaned up the cuts, but then placing the guard over the grill just ended up looking all wrong.

I couldn't see how that just anchoring it at the two ends like you did would let it hold it's shape. You used 22 gauge material, right? The stuff I found was in a 6" x 20' roll for $2.69.

I may give it another go... I have another 17'+ of material to play with!
17' WOW !! what you do buy it by the box the ones I got come in like 3' length so I got 2 pieces like $1.27 each and its kinda curved, so pushed them strait. I had no problems with it laying flat so the center emblem holds it in place real well there and the ends pull up a little more so I just tied them down with the 22ga wire (sounds like you got what I got too).
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...70979415BtZtyh
Guess you could attach it in alot more places since you have the rear grill still back there to tie it too. If you look at the first pic of the grill in my trunk the only thing holding the gutter guard in place is the emblem and you only have a little pull up on the ends, so thats why I tied the center ends. It worked fine for me let us know how yours turns out.
Oh did you have to cut the top and bottoms ? or was your gutter guard the right size fit like mine ?. Well good luck !! but with 17' left you will get it .
I only had to cut like 2-4" off each end and the center so wasn't to much cutting for me so it went easy and I use my dremel alot too.

Last edited by WT; 04-27-2003 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2003, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahhh! Okay... NOW I know what you used!

Next to the roll of stuff I bought there was a bundle pack of 5 semi-cuved pieces that would have definitely held their shape. The bundle was just under $6, but I went with the long roll.

Got It. I'm good to go now... Home Depot's closed now, but I'll be there tomorrow.

Thanks WT!

Mark

(fyi for other folks looking for this... My local Lowes only had plastic guards, but Home Depot had a BUNCH of guards to choose from. If you don't find it at one place, head for the other!)

Quick Reply: Bored today Look What I did !!