Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

bonehead move of the month

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bonehead move of the month

So, can anyone top this...

I spent a good portion of the morning Saturday getting my rig ready for Sunday's Paragon run - cutting off my swaybar discos, hooking up my CB, getting my gear loaded, etc. I was working in my garage since it was pretty cool and very damp that morning. It came time to put my roof rack on, so I backed out of the garage and heard this awful metal-on-metal rubbing/griding/bending noise. Stopped and saw that I had left the passenger side rear door open.

I bent it back just past 90degrees. Broke the plastic stopper thing, and the stops on both hinges, put a decent crease in the door. I pulled back into the garage and prayed that I could shut the door. The cosmetic stuff isn't a big deal, as long as the door closes. Phew - it did. I kicked myself a few times, backed back out and continued getting ready for Sunday.

On the way down the highway, I heard what sounded like the passenger side rear window was down slightly. I put the window up and down a few times... everything seemed OK. It was nice out, so I forgot about it for the time being.

I took a closer look at it yesterday, and I think the door got bent just enough so the top of the door doesn't make contact with the weather seal. I dumped a cup of water over the top of the door to see if I was right. 1/2 the water went inside my truck. Damn - just in time for the storms we are supposed to get left over from Hurricane Jeanne.

So anyways... the truck is in the shop today - we'll see what they have to say. I'm such an idiot.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

That sucks Jackson! I've done some pretty stupid crap like that as well. One day I had been mountain bike riding and had the bike up on the rack and I needed to get some money out of the ATM, so I pull up to the ATM and open my sunroof to see if the bike will clear the awning. Well the bike cleared but as I was looking through the sunroof, I didn't realize it at the time, but I had cut my wheel slightly to the left and slid one of those yellow poles that they have to protect the ATM down my left rear passenger door. I wasn't even as mad that I dented the door as I was about being that stupid in the first place. Oh well carnage happens :pat:
Old 09-28-2004, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jacksonpt
Nope. You win!

Makes me feel alot better about trying to jam my 4Runner in my overcrowded garage before I went on vacation (so it would not sit outside the whole time) and scratching the top of the fender on a bike brake lever (bike was hanging from the ceiling)

:pat:
Old 09-28-2004, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I watched a friend try to drive into his garage with $10,000 worth of mountain bikes on his roofrack.
Needless to say the Durango won but not only did he total the bikes but he caved his roof in too!!!!

He kicked himself for quite a while after that little incedent.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-28-2004 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:44 AM
lee
Contributing Member

if it makes you feel better, i am SHOCKED that i havent done something like that yet. i always forget the details (like closing a door!) and regret being so hasty.

good luck.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:50 AM

All in all, I don't really care that I did it. Being frustrated or pissed off isn't going to change anything, so what's the point. It sucks that I have to spend the money this way though. I'm sure the bill for this would be more than enough to cover skid plates, onboard air, and probably the mtn bike frame I'm looking at.

Just a crappy way to drop $1000-$1500.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:51 AM

Well, since we are trading "Stupid crap I've done to my 4Runner" stories, I also forgot my mountain bike was on top of my 4Runner a few years ago when I tried to back into my garage. It's funny how when it happens you know EXACTLY what just occurred. Sucks. One stupid mistake but i guess that's that. Luckily the bike wasn't damaged but the top of 4Runner was. the sun roof is still scratch along with about a 6 inch deep scratch just behind it in the roof. I guess you live and learn.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

Guess I have been lucky with my mountain bikes since I use a hitch mounted rack instead.
After seeing my buddy do it, I was sure I could have done similar as well.

Jackson, hang in there man.....it always sucks to spend money because you have to. Do you think I wanted to spend $1500 fat ones to import my car to Canada? No, but I had to and it sucked but you move on and in a few months you'll just have a good story to tell and a few laughs to go with it.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-28-2004 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by jacksonpt

I bent it back just past 90degrees. Broke the plastic stopper thing, and the stops on both hinges, put a decent crease in the door. I pulled back into the garage and prayed that I could shut the door. The cosmetic stuff isn't a big deal, as long as the door closes. Phew - it did. I kicked myself a few times, backed back out and continued getting ready for Sunday.
Ha Ha Ha. Now I don't feel so stupid. I did the SAME thing. Drivers side door.

It was winter time and I just picked my dirt bike up from the shop. I was reversing into the drive way. (Two Big snow banks on each side) Had the drivers side door open so I could see behind me. Head stuck out the door looking behind to line myself up with the garage. Get on the gas. and OPPS.... the snowbank did the exact same thing that happened to you. My door is still bent to crap, and doesnt close properly. I have to slam it HARD or it bounces back at me. Mine doesn't leak from the top... Only the bottom.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:35 AM

woohoo! I love the service department at my dealer.

My rig spent a few hours there this morning because of my bonehead move. They bent the door just enough so that it seals up. I think when I wacked the door, some of the arch was taken out so it was a bit "flatter" than it should have been. They bent it back and now it seals. And now the best part - they did it AT NO CHARGE!

They gave me a couple of quotes... one to fix the door completely, and one ot fix a dent I have in my tail gate. $1300 for the door, $700 for the tail gate. I don't much want to do either, but we'll see. Gotta have a chat with the wife and see what our long term plans are for my rig.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

I feel your pain... I've done similar..
First, like many others, I had my bike up top and PLOWED into the garage and probably 15MPH. $750 in damage to the bike, $50 to the vehicle. But hey, I got a new King Headset, SID Race forks, and some purdy new wheelsets!

Second, I was at a high school football game to visit some old friends...Some jackass in the parking lot was pissed that his team lost so he comes up to my truck and gets his whole torso up inside yelling at us. My friend slams the door on his head, but he gets furious and bends the door just like you did. Luckily, it wasn't at all cosmetic and my body shop fixed it for free! That was the first time I got to ride in a Police Car so they could get a report! WOO WOO!!!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

I can top it all, I WIN hands down!!

OK, first off this was not my Yota but my older Saab 900 Turbo... I was mountain biking all day and though wow it would be a lot easier to just pull into the car wash and blast the mud off my bike and rinse the car off at the same time, I was wrong but thats just the beginning of how my car got totaled.. I pulled into the damn car wash after reading the height sign above the bay, I hear an horrible bang, and scraping sound which was followed by the sound of breaking glass. I pulled into the bay and my when my GT Zaskar hit the car wash, my rack slid back the roof, now my rack was from Performance bikes, it had big feet that sat on the roof and clamps that went around the rain gutter to hold it in place, so when it slid off the roof it mashed the roof in the entire way back with a 2" dent, then slid off the back and through the rear window! I threw the drivers side door open and the car in reverse at the same time to back out quickly while looking up at what I had done! Well I basically removed the driver’s side door from the car with the inside of the bay at the car wash. That’s not all, when this happened I turned the wheel to the right in a panic and hit a cement filled pole with the front fender in front of the wheel, removing the end of the bumper, smashing in the fender, turn signal and head light assembly and re locating the grille about 2" off center! But wait that’s not all!!! There was a guy behind me in a CRX waiting and watching the caos take place... You guessed it, I backed into his car at the same time I smacked the damn pole.. Needless to say when the police were done giving me a sobriety check they were shocked to find I was sober! My insurance company totaled my car, my bikes bars were bent, my roof rack was bent and I can honestly say I have never been that embarrassed before in my life. AND I have never gone back to that low door opening narrow bay car wash again and never will!!!!!!!!!!! Hows that, I need to dig out the pics that some one took that day and scan them so you can see for yourselves
Old 09-28-2004, 08:27 AM
lee
Contributing Member

hahahahahahah

you totally win. thats hilarious.

what year 900 was it? my 1st car was an 88 saab 900 (not turbo by any means!) inherited from my mom when i was 16.5
Old 09-28-2004, 08:29 AM
lee
Contributing Member

looked like this but mine was white:

Old 09-28-2004, 12:15 PM

I pulled into my folks garage thinking that it will be close, as it usually is, but that the Firestik will only hit lightly. I got most of the way in and heard a God awful sound only to find the Hi-Lift on the rear bumper did not fit. It caught the garage door, bent the track, the mounting tab on the bumper and mangled the door frame.

I think you win, but I hear you on boner moves.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:11 PM

I was intsalling my subs in my 4runner, and i had it backed halfway in, well when i went to shut the garage door i forgot that i had backed my car half way in and by the time it was too late it hit the top right on my snowboard racks, no damage was done since the garage door stops at a certain point of pressure. thats my bonehead move.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:30 PM

While ago was backing out of the shop with the big tractor and swung the wheel when the front tires were out, forgot about the bucket, it grabbed the side of the overhead door frame and ripped it apart and smashed the hell out of the front of it. Big 4x4s rule.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:46 PM

Twice on my Ford Expedition:

1) Rear hatch opened backed out. Took out the wipers put a foot long scratch on the hatch. And a big dent to go. The wipers ripped a hole in the hatch also.

I banged everything back. Got dealer to replace wipers (free). And had all the scars to remember.

2) Came back from kayaking. Had Thule Kayak rack on top. Washed the truck. Decided to dry it in the garage (away from the sun). Until I heard the rack ripping off. I lose one factory roof bar. And no other damage. I ended up buying a whole new Yakima rack.

Since, then I don't put anything on the roof. And I am paranoid as hell about leaving something open.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

great stories fellas, i think 'mountains' has it by a long shot!! talk about things going from bad to worse in a hurry! i sure hope you had a great time mt biking to make up for the carnage at the carwash!

lee
Old 09-28-2004, 05:20 PM

Last weekend I was scouting for a camping site at the place we were 4wheeling (Haspin Acres) and I got out of my truck that had my quad and trailer attached, and my brother yelled "your truck is rolling" Well apparently I forgot to put it in gear or set the parking brake, it rolled right into a tree and dented my hood, bumper, and grille.

Quick Reply: bonehead move of the month