Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Blue LED Dash Conversion....Who's Done It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by LSUMatt1514
Philly,
I am getting very, very close to adding my name to the Speedhut list. What could we do to find a couple more recruits?

Matt
persuade speedbutt to do a manual tranny, black faced version of the reverse indi's.

Keiser,
BTW, good luck on the game this weekend. Ya'll have got your hands full with da tigers!! Be sure to look for me on ESPN. I'll be the sauced up idiot screaming my head off. Oh wait, there will be 85,000 other sauced up idiots there also. Anyway, good luck and GEAUX TIGERS!!

Matt
yea, I was trying to avoid this kind of confrontation with you this year given our record versus yours. I have a buddy coming over who's daughter is at LSU and he's an alumn. sort of a yearly thing, when it's bama's home game he comes over here, when it's LSU's home game I go there. last year was great but we had to watch it on his 21" TV. this time it'll be on my 61" sony and I'm afraid it's going to be really embarassing. Sauced up? The won't even let you into the swamp unless you're already sauced before you get there right? Good luck to you too, your gonna need it. yea right!
Old 11-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Keiser,
GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

Matt
Old 11-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

Keiser,
GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

Matt
yea, I felt the same way on saturday night after my 10th beer! I honestly say your guys looked good though, good luck and I hope LSU gets to go to the NC rather than that other stupid team. I'm kind of glad we didn't beat ya'll because it would have bumped you from #3.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Keiser,
Where on this page can I find the 194 and 74 size bulbs that you referred to?

http://www.led.net/datasheets/auto_index/auto_index.htm

I am trying to do all my homework before hand so that I only have to make one order. Will these 194 and 74 size bulbs simply "plug in" to the old connection without the need for solder? I'm trying to make this as simple as possible since my soldering talents leave a whole lot to be desired. Thanks man. Later.

Matt
Old 11-20-2003, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Keiser,
Where on this page can I find the 194 and 74 size bulbs that you referred to?

http://www.led.net/datasheets/auto_index/auto_index.htm
Matt
dang, did I post that one? sorry. try these:

http://autolumination.com/leds.html
http://www.superlumination.com/leds.htm#
Old 11-24-2003, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Keiser and myself have been discussing alternatives to the soldering, and I have been digging into this site...

http://autolumination.com/

I sent them an email last night and he responsded today with these remarks. He first repeated my questions.

"1. In order to get the maximum dispersal of the light (to evenly light up the gauges), should I go with the oval wide angle blue 194 LED? Like I said, here I will need a smooth uniform dispersal. You have several different style 194s, so I'm not sure which would be the best for this application. Please also specify clear vs. opaque.

All gauge layouts are different. The oval work well. Some prefer the inverted that emnit light out the sides. The oval are brighter, and wide angle, but do not emit light directly out the sides. The opaque lenses emit a soft light, the clear lenses are a sharp beam. Here are specs on all the 194 leds to help you decide:

http://autolumination.com/specifications.html

2. Do you carry any size 74 blue LEDs that would offer this same dispersal pattern, instead of a focused beam?

We only have one style of #74. There is not enought room to form an inverted lens, but the #74 has a fairly wide beam angle.

3. Do you offer any size 158 blue LEDs that would offer this same dispersal pattern, instead of a focused beam?

The 158 = 194"

Are the 158s really the same size as the 194? I can't remember who it was, but someone one here I was emailing about this sent this picture to me which shows a couple of the bulbs from somewhere on the dash. He took this pic while doing the mod. He said that they were different sizes, but both look an awfully lot like 194s to me.

It looks to me like this may be a viable alternative to the soldering. What are ya'lls opinions? Later.

Matt
Old 11-24-2003, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Ooops. Sorry guys. The guy that I emailed was from this site.

http://www.superlumination.com/leds.htm

He sent me the link for www.autolumination.com because of their specs page.

Matt
Old 12-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

LEDs, blue bulbs (some 74s and 194s from Lightlens.com), and Speedhut gauges have been ordered. I'll let ya'll know how I'm going as I go along. I may not be able to get started for a couple of weeks though. Later.

Matt
Old 12-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

cool man. hehe, waiting on the guinny (sp.) pig. hehe.
Old 12-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

One question for you guys....What size solder (thickness) did you use for the small solder pads on the circuit boards?

Matt
Old 12-15-2003, 06:44 PM
Nam

One question for you guys....What size solder (thickness) did you use for the small solder pads on the circuit boards?

Matt
Matt, are you tackling the project right now? how's it coming along? I can't wait until my final exams are all over and LEDs that I ordered arrive so I can start this project.

As far as solder thickness...umm...I am not sure about the number, but general purpose solder should do it...they are available in electronic stores or RadioShack!

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress...I will be likewise.

Nam
Old 12-17-2003, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Nam,
I haven't started yet. I have gotten my LEDs and the blue bulbs that I ordered. I'm just so friggin busy with work right now, I don't have time for much else. I hope those Speedhut gauges get here soon. I'll keep you posted and you do likewise. The only part of the whole mod that really scares me is the heater and a/c controls. The other areas should (note I said should) be relatively straight forward. Later.

Matt
Old 12-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Matt
I would maybe suggest trying to "tin" the ends and then use the tinned end to solder it. I haven't done it on the runner but I've done it plenty repairing home stereos. I have a thick gauge solder that I usually just tin everything with. my way is probably not proper but it works, hehe.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:21 AM

I ordered some procarparts gauges, the only the numbers light upkind (easier on the eyes I would think), a ton of frosted 5mm leds, and some resistors and solder stuff. Now, would it be better to just throw some leds behind the odometer, or will some blue bulbs work? And if so, which no.? A lot of numbers have been throw around and I'm not sure which ones people are talking about putting where. Thanks
Old 03-09-2004, 06:21 PM

I've just ordered lighting gels and tint the back of the panels so it's completly reversable and colors are are interchangeable (much easier in theory) instad of going with LEDs however if i am not satisfied, i'll just go with LEDS eventually. I'll post pics later on.

Last edited by 2001Millrunner; 03-09-2004 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

My "Neon Bulb Paint" should be here any day now, so I'll post some pics when I get everything done, including the new Speedhut gauges in again.

Matt
Old 03-09-2004, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd
I ordered some procarparts gauges, the only the numbers light upkind (easier on the eyes I would think), a ton of frosted 5mm leds, and some resistors and solder stuff. Now, would it be better to just throw some leds behind the odometer, or will some blue bulbs work? And if so, which no.? A lot of numbers have been throw around and I'm not sure which ones people are talking about putting where. Thanks
Take it from someone who's been there done that, stick with light colored bulbs behind the odometer, even the stock ones. With the aftermarket gauges the only thing it will affect besides the needles is the odometer. And while the blue led light definitely looks cool on the odometer, it just doesn't provide enough light for the needles, I tried to live with it but couldn't.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:31 PM
Nam

Originally Posted by chuckd
Chuckd,

We have been discussing about replacing those conventional dash lights with LEDs of the color of our choice. Some like blue, I like white...

Hope this somewhat answers your question.

Nam
Old 03-10-2004, 09:08 AM

Yeah, I'm changing mine as well. I was wondering if I need 194 or 74 for the odometer. I guess I'll just get some white bulbs. I think that will look cool. I just don't want green. Also, has anyone tried taking apart their stock radio and switching the color of that? I'm not too concerned about ruining it, because it kinda sucks, so I think I will give it a shot. If it is possible.

Last edited by chuckd; 03-10-2004 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:33 PM

Lighting Gel was a no go. Too dim...and oh yea lucky me I blew one of the bulbs. I took a pic of the bulb i blew, please click on my page link and look under bulb, does anyone know what # it is? and BTW the green thing is the rubber cover for bulbs. Sucks.......at least i found out blue lights require most light output out of all colors. Now if anyone can tell me if i can get the inverted LEDs.......

Last edited by 2001Millrunner; 03-11-2004 at 05:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Blue LED Dash Conversion....Who's Done It?