Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Blue LED Dash Conversion....Who's Done It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 06:18 AM
DuB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt,
Actually, the page I was referring to is this one.

That eBay link you posted is actually the exact seller that Wild Bill and I bought from. And those are the exact LEDs we bought. You actually don't need frosted LEDs if you're going to flatten the surface to help disperse the light. Clear ones are fine, but frosted are available so might as well get them.

Resistors are necessary where ever you're replacing a bulb. If you're replacing an LED, you just solder in the new one.

-Jason
Old 11-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur

Sorry guys, I wish I could but I can't help with the speedhut thing since they won't make a Manual tranny version. Otherwise I'd be on it like a fly on stink!
Are you sure they won't work? I thought the PRND21 were below the gauges? If they really won't work then I am going to have to bow out of the buy 'cause I have a manual tranny also. And to think I have been waiting for a year for something that won't work.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rixham
Are you sure they won't work? I thought the PRND21 were below the gauges? If they really won't work then I am going to have to bow out of the buy 'cause I have a manual tranny also. And to think I have been waiting for a year for something that won't work.
I pretty dang sure. I thought the same thing but it's too much money for me to blow only to have the gamble not work. If I knew FOR SURE that it would work, I mean proof, I'd be in on it. Actually I was thinking the same thing you were but evidentally they don't. maybe somebody will pipe in who knows for sure.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Check with Philly. I believe he will know for sure.

Matt
Old 11-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by LSUMatt1514
Check with Philly. I believe he will know for sure.

Matt
I just PM'd him so hopefully he'll make a comment.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:42 PM
DuB

Does anyone know for sure what the difference between the speedhut gauges and those on a 97 are? I'd really like to get them, but someone said that the markings were different. They look the same to me though in the picture.

I know that the warning lights might be different, but I can do some rigging and rewiring if I need to.

Plus it'd help you guys who are waiting
Old 11-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DuB

I know that the warning lights might be different, but I can do some rigging and rewiring if I need to.

Plus it'd help you guys who are waiting
see, that's what I can do to but at 120 or what ever it costs, it's just too much for me to gamble on without knowing for sure that I can rig it up. I may just bite the dang bullet and do it anyway. but you know, if it doesn't work I still won't be able to sell it because I will have botched it trying to rig it up. so it's a work and money well spent or a fail and money pizzed away.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:29 PM
DuB

Well, I'm just worried about the gauges themselves not lining up. For the warning lights, I figure it can't be too hard. The "wires" on the back are just printed on to plastic so you can cut it where you need to, and rewire it to where the correct spots are on the speedhut gauges. The gauges themselves can stay the way they are.

That'd be awesome if someone could figure out the exact specifics for us. Then that'd be +2 and the buy would be at 19!

Oh, we also have to cut a hole for our odometer. I'm pretty sure no one knows if that's possible, but looking at the procarparts reverse indiglos, it should be pretty simple.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:05 AM

who can i pay to do that LED conversion for my dash that lives in washington
Old 11-12-2003, 12:38 AM

Wow,... those blue LED dashes are sweet,... but they take so long. How long does it take to get behind the dash? I mean I would have to get behind there I dont know how many times to complete this,... that would be annoying,... but damn that is cool! I always wanted a dash like that!
Old 11-12-2003, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by overKILL
How long does it take to get behind the dash?
about 5 minutes.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Matt - the hardest part for me was wiring up the heater controls due to having to use several bulbs from one connection. Getting everything apart was really easy, and I put it all back together with my eyes closed once because I got so good at doing it.

To answer your question about the resistors, it isn't necessary to use one for each if you run them in a series. If you do it that way you can use one resistor and then connect pos wire from one bulb to neg of the next and so on. I wouldn't run too many this way, maybe 3 or 4 because I'm not sure how much each resistor can hold.

Since we have newer models, it isn't necessary for us to print out labels for the buttons because you can use a bulb for each one. They aren't set up the same way and all of them are lit from behind like the rest of the dash, instead of being a little unit like Wild Bill's. Dub's idea for the clock is good, I hadn't figured out how to do that yet so I'll have to try it.

As for a writeup and pictures, I don't have any really. There are 1 or 2 loose connections I need to go back and fix so I'll give it a shot then. I'm waiting until I have a whole day to get in there, because I don't want to be rushed and it really can get frustrating. For that reason I recommend you have someone with you that is experienced in soldering if you tackle this project. It isn't a very hard thing to do, but if you've got no idea what you're doing you could really screw some stuff up. Better safe than sorry.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toyota Punk
Matt - the hardest part for me was wiring up the heater controls due.
What's with your website Toyota Punk, went there to check it out and "hock-tooey!" It's all muffed up.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:11 AM
DuB

I wouldn't run LEDs in series. I did that in a couple places with my gauges at first, and all the LEDs that were hooked up like that blew out in about a month or so. I'd stick to 1 resistor per LED.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:40 AM

so no one wants to do that for me even if i payed them
Old 11-13-2003, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by HurleyBoy
so no one wants to do that for me even if i payed them
If you put in your profile where you are you might get some bites, doubtful though as this is a hobby/project type of thing that should be fun to do.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
What's with your website Toyota Punk, went there to check it out and "hock-tooey!" It's all muffed up.
Sorry! I got into making a new site and got most of the way done. Then I started doing all sorts of little projects that I need to add, but got really tired of working on the site. I've only got a few days left on the trial for the program I'm making it in, and I don't really want to buy it (or at least I don't have the money right now). Plus I need to upload all the pics to MontyPics since once I got almost done I found I didn't have enough room on the site server. PITA! Because of those reasons I need to just set aside a day or something to get it done in one or two shots and I just haven't had the interest lately. It'll get done maybe once I go on break from school and sit around board for weeks on end.

HurleyBoy - The thing about this project is just like Wild Bill said, you need to do it a little bit at a time. I tried to do it in one day at first but got really frustrated. It's just not something you can do all at once. I think that's going to deter anyone from doing it for you rather than just helping you out.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Philly
The original scope work was done based on an auto tranny. That was the istrument cluster that was provided to Speedhut for development work. I'll send an Email to SPeedhut asking about the manual version (if possible)

phil
Thanks alot bud.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Philly,
I am getting very, very close to adding my name to the Speedhut list. What could we do to find a couple more recruits?

Matt
Old 11-13-2003, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Keiser,
BTW, good luck on the game this weekend. Ya'll have got your hands full with da tigers!! Be sure to look for me on ESPN. I'll be the sauced up idiot screaming my head off. Oh wait, there will be 85,000 other sauced up idiots there also. Anyway, good luck and GEAUX TIGERS!!

Matt

Quick Reply: Blue LED Dash Conversion....Who's Done It?