Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A BIG weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that pretty sweet, i must also mention that oregonians kick ass.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:31 PM

Heh, now you wont get stuck on that stump =)
Old 11-10-2003, 04:15 PM

Wow, it's like a whole new truck. Quick question, could you tell me what the extended and compressed length of the stock front shock is if you still have one?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2003, 07:19 PM

Very Nice Mark.

Ok. When are the tires coming?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:32 PM

Thanks Mark. I will definitely give Mike a call when I am ready to do the suspension.

adam
columbus, oh
Old 11-11-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by FattyCBR
Quick question, could you tell me what the extended and compressed length of the stock front shock is if you still have one?
I still have 'em, but the springs are still on 'em and aren't easy to compress - or fully extend for that matter. I don't have ready access to a spring compressor to get them apart - sorry.

If you'd like, you can buy 'em and check yourself!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=20769

Originally posted by smr4runner
When are the tires coming?
Now there's a question that I've been asking myself for a while! Dr. Z and I talked about this while I was down there, and it ended up being a short conversation. One of the side things that I want out of my rig is more perfromance, and Galen reminded me tha if I go to something like 33's, then I'll lose the performance that I've added thus far unless I regear. And I'm just not in a $$$ postition that I can do that now.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Well done, guys!

Mark, your Runner looks great! What kind of tuning did you have to do to be able to run the 160* T-stat?
Old 11-12-2003, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by loosehead
Well done, guys!

Mark, your Runner looks great! What kind of tuning did you have to do to be able to run the 160* T-stat?
Thanks for the "well done!" we all worked pretty hard on it - and had a great time doing so!

I didn't specifically tune for the t-stat, the tuning that I refer to was basically Dr. Z doing what he's been trying to get _me_ to do for the last few months with the SMT-5. It's a LOT easier to work that box with two people - one driving and one with a laptop in their lap.

You find an empty stretch of farm road, tweak, then punch it for 1/4 mile. You listen for pinging, look at your 1/4 mile times, then repeat. We spent over an hour running back and forth.

The only specific tuning for the t-stat per se' was to reset the electric fans to come on at 189*. They do, and the truck is running at a coolant temp of 172*.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

O.k. I am beginning to understand...I would be really curious to see what king of HP/tq #'s you guys have now...

The truck really does look good, funny what a little lift can do, eh?
I must admit, though, I have bumper-envy!
Old 11-12-2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by loosehead
O.k. I am beginning to understand...I would be really curious to see what king of HP/tq #'s you guys have now...
So would we!

We worked with one of these boxes http://www.auterraweb.com/, but didn't get what we thought were "reasonable" HP numbers out of it. That box uses the classic "if you push this much weight this far in this amount of time, you have this much horsepower" math to come up with a number.

We're thinking that we may have had a couple of user supplied variables wrong, 'cause the numbers being shown were around the 137-142hp mark. The 3.4L puts out 183hp stock, or 137bhp (figuring a 25% loss for an automatic), and I know I'm making more HP than that.

The truck really does look good, funny what a little lift can do, eh?
I must admit, though, I have bumper-envy!
Yeah... it's quite a nice change. I'll have more long-shot pictures this weekend and you can get a real feel for it.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:42 AM
Away

To add to Mark's comments regarding tuning:

Besides listening for pinging, we look at Long Term Fuel Trim and try to get it as close to Zero as possible for the Closed Loop portion of the maps. For WOT, we try to shoot for an O2 Sensor voltage between .83-.85 Volts, which equates to 13.3-1 to 12.5-1. We do this by adding or subtracting fuel in the WOT column of the Fuel Map.

For the Closed Loop fuel tuning, we used the Fuel Zero setting of the SMT-5 to get LTFT to "0". I find that it works better and seems to give smoother Throttle Response than by populating the maps with individual numbers. A +/-1 in Fuel Zero equates to about +/-5% LTFT. Mark's truck required a +4 Setting in Fuel Zero to get LTFT to near "0". His LTFT runs between 0.8 and -0.8. Before the changes, LTFT was around 15-18%.

If there are cells in the maps where LTFT is outside of this range, we populate those particular cells with a positive or negative number to reach "0". For instance, the Idle cell needed some correction in the negative to reach LTFT of "0". All of this really does improve driveability by quite a bit. It makes the engine a lot punchier.

After all of this is done, then we try to set maximum Timing Advance for the grade of fuel that he's going to run. We also set up both the A and B maps since Mark hooked up the Map Switch.

Mark had a tankful of Mid Grade gas and I could run about 8* more advance over the stock settings at all throttle positions with no pinging whatsoever. We loaded the engine pretty hard to make sure it could deal with those settings. That is the "A" map.

For the "B" map, it's set to about 3* more advance over stock, which he can use for Regular Unleaded and possibly the trail with Mid Grade if the "A" map causes pinging when in 4WD and under a heavy load. The truck was pretty heavily loaded with all kinds of gear and his left over original parts from the install, so I'm pretty confident he'll be good with those settings. The fuel settings are identical between the two maps, since that doesn't change with Octane.

We also tweaked the Analog Scale Deflection since his throttle position sensor percentages were slightly different than on my truck. At idle, using the settings I had given him, the cursor was bouncing between back and forth between the first two columns. After adjustment, it stayed in the first cell, which is where it's supposed to be.

Maybe Mark can take some screenshots of his maps and global settings and post them.

G

Last edited by Dr. Zhivago; 11-12-2003 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Zhivago
To add to Mark's comments regarding tuning:
And, to add to The Dr's... (thank you Galen!)

I've seen a couple of "new" folks on this thread, so I wanted to point out that when we're talking about "tuning" or mention the "SMT-5", we're talking about this:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&threadid=5130

Maybe Mark can take some screenshots of his maps and global settings and post them.
I'd love to (and will!) but at the moment the truck is "at the place" doing "the new mod" that "I'm incredibly excited about"!

(I'm SUCH a tease!)
Old 11-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Away

Oh yeah. I forgot about that.

G
Old 11-12-2003, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by midiwall

I'd love to (and will!) but at the moment the truck is "at the place" doing "the new mod" that "I'm incredibly excited about"!

(I'm SUCH a tease!)
In time, you will share, yes?

...living vicariously through other's mods...
Old 11-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Away

Jayson,

He'll probably share at around 6:30 pm, assuming nothing goes catastrophically wrong.

G
Old 11-12-2003, 09:25 AM

Jayson,

He'll probably share at around 6:30 pm...
Pacific Time!

...assuming nothing goes catastrophically wrong.
The words I wish to insert at this point can't/shouldn't/shan't be used on this forum.

Old 11-12-2003, 02:40 PM

He'll probably share at around 6:30 pm, assuming nothing goes catastrophically wrong.
Well, it wasn't catastrophic, but it did go wrong.

Info update postponed 24 hours. argh.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

I'll let you in on Mark's secret, lets just say it involves a pink umbrella and a rainbow sticker on the back window- he's taking the term "street queen" to a whole new level....
Old 11-12-2003, 05:13 PM

Dang you David! I wanted it to be a surprise!

(hey, I just noticed that my sig mod list is getting as long as yours. Hmmm.. what else can I do??)
Old 11-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

I know, you'll have me beat soon!

Quick Reply: A BIG weekend!